Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off this is not on the level of you guys, far from it but I thought I would just share with you my latest tinkering in my workshop build. Basically using what I had to hand , out of scrap. Our wedding anniversary was Sunday and as it is Steel, I bought my wife this hand forged rose which is very nice indeed and she loved it. It is designed to be in the garden and rust over time but no way was that going in the garden.

il_794xN.2186524550_1df7.jpg

So had to think of a way to mount it but it is quite heavy so the stand would have been large to carry the weight but I thought it would be too bulky and tip over. So looking around the house I found an old Ikea desk lamp which luckily has a weighted base.

Products.jpg

So came up with a cunning plan. Which involved demolishing the lamp for its base ! That was easy enough ..
IMG_0169.jpg

So ended up with the parts I really needed. The metal base with slot, the cast iron weight and a plastic cover.
IMG_0170.jpg

Then fettled the rose with a hammer to follow the bend of the groove into the base and drilled /tapped the stem so I could secure it .

IMG_0180.jpg

Now the fun part, making a base out of some scrap CLS timber I had lying around. This proved to be quite challenging as I had to router out a recess the depth and size of the base so it could fit in underneath and also work out how to reveal the slot.

IMG_0172.jpg

Took a little bit of head scratching , a huge mess and not exactly a perfect circle as no way of using a router jig as the radius was too tight but you will never see my terrible hand routing anyway :)

IMG_0177.jpg

Finally you end up with this. All components ready to go back once I have put a finish on it.
IMG_0176.jpg

Heavy base installed

IMG_0182.jpg

And the end result .. I think she will like it , if not will give it to the mistress :)
IMG_0189.jpg

First off this is not on the level of you guys, far from it but I thought I would just share with you my latest tinkering in my workshop build. Basically using what I had to hand , out of scrap. Our wedding anniversary was Sunday and as it is Steel, I bought my wife this hand forged rose which is very nice indeed and she loved it. It is designed to be in the garden and rust over time but no way was that going in the garden.

View attachment 136738

So had to think of a way to mount it but it is quite heavy so the stand would have been large to carry the weight but I thought it would be too bulky and tip over. So looking around the house I found an old Ikea desk lamp which luckily has a weighted base.

View attachment 136741

So came up with a cunning plan. Which involved demolishing the lamp for its base ! That was easy enough ..
View attachment 136742

So ended up with the parts I really needed. The metal base with slot, the cast iron weight and a plastic cover.
View attachment 136743

Then fettled the rose with a hammer to follow the bend of the groove into the base and drilled /tapped the stem so I could secure it .

View attachment 136744

Now the fun part, making a base out of some scrap CLS timber I had lying around. This proved to be quite challenging as I had to router out a recess the depth and size of the base so it could fit in underneath and also work out how to reveal the slot.

View attachment 136745

Took a little bit of head scratching , a huge mess and not exactly a perfect circle as no way of using a router jig as the radius was too tight but you will never see my terrible hand routing anyway :)

View attachment 136746
Finally you end up with this. All components ready to go back once I have put a finish on it.
View attachment 136747

Heavy base installed

View attachment 136748

And the end result .. I think she will like it , if not will give it to the mistress :)
View attachment 136749

I can hear the call where has my desk lamp gone....!🤣🤣🤣

I can hear the call where has my desk lamp gone....!🤣🤣🤣
It is my old desk lamp that was about to be chucked in the loft so no great loss and anyway as the saying going " what is mine is mine, and what is yours is mine " so she benefits from me keeping stuff just in case......

I haven't tried yet but have considered it, only difficulty I have is my lathes slowest speed is 450 so it would spray everything around me unless I build a box around the turning.
Some people have hocked up an old bbq rotisserie motor for applying finishes, and epoxy finishes. I wonder if it would be too slow for wet sanding?

Jigsaw table for a friend of mine. She has MS and can’t get about much so spends a lot of time sitting down. I hope this will give her something to occupy the time.

My daughter is gifted with textiles and making clothes and my hobbies are woodwork and metalwork so we’ve started collaborating. Hence the logo.

Attachments

• 6594889C-7F3C-4526-8297-104A9F37B66E.jpeg
    6594889C-7F3C-4526-8297-104A9F37B66E.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 0
  • C771AF35-CEE2-4671-AB35-E74C546F7AF4.jpeg
    C771AF35-CEE2-4671-AB35-E74C546F7AF4.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 0
  • D155757B-51C2-4807-AFF9-F2F0C778A0F7.jpeg
    D155757B-51C2-4807-AFF9-F2F0C778A0F7.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1178F7F9-465D-41CF-A218-E89A924805B5.jpeg
    1178F7F9-465D-41CF-A218-E89A924805B5.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 8FB10BD3-E084-4AEF-95C5-6D175FB4289A.jpeg
    8FB10BD3-E084-4AEF-95C5-6D175FB4289A.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 0
  • EBFB9E2E-BC9C-48AE-87BF-132BAFCB00DB.jpeg
    EBFB9E2E-BC9C-48AE-87BF-132BAFCB00DB.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 0
  • B97A0CDD-3955-4EF2-B21F-722EC7F774E2.jpeg
    B97A0CDD-3955-4EF2-B21F-722EC7F774E2.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2F73DC63-D8DE-421E-923C-FA67E781F5E6.jpeg
    2F73DC63-D8DE-421E-923C-FA67E781F5E6.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 0
  • 70538703-0E08-473F-B953-0E930ED8FADA.jpeg
    70538703-0E08-473F-B953-0E930ED8FADA.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 0
I’ve actually made two items. I attended an Axminster demonstration by Helen Baily of thin wall bowls and decided to make one. I needed a pre-settable caliper to ‘feel’ the wall thickness and see from the setting screw how much needed to be removed, so I designed and produced this one. (If anyone is interested in obtaining one, please drop me an email at [email protected]). I then used it to produce this Tulip Wood bowl, whose wall thickness is 2mm.

Attachments

• Caliper and Bowl.jpg
    Caliper and Bowl.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 0
I just finished these. Still need to shoot some shellac on them. My wife liked the first one I made her so much she keeps me busy making them for gifts. I'm burning out on this pattern fairly fast. I hope you like them. About 15 hours in each one. A John Nelson pattern from the book Boxes Bowls and Baskets.
What did you use to cut them?

Jigsaw table for a friend of mine. She has MS and can’t get about much so spends a lot of time sitting down. I hope this will give her something to occupy the time.

My daughter is gifted with textiles and making clothes and my hobbies are woodwork and metalwork so we’ve started collaborating. Hence the logo.
Fantastic! What an amazing thing to do.

I had to resurrect the old Black and Decker DN85 belt sander, but needed a rectangular to round adapter to connect my Dyson to the sander.

A
and 3 hours of 3D printing.

Perfect fit!!
View attachment 136802
Can you tell me what printer you have? I’m looking to get one. To do just what you have done. I need an adapter to the bottom of my unisaw for a dust port.

I’ve actually made two items. I attended an Axminster demonstration by Helen Baily of thin wall bowls and decided to make one. I needed a pre-settable caliper to ‘feel’ the wall thickness and see from the setting screw how much needed to be removed, so I designed and produced this one. (If anyone is interested in obtaining one, please drop me an email at [email protected]). I then used it to produce this Tulip Wood bowl, whose wall thickness is 2mm.
An ingenious devise and a beautiful bowl 😁

Can you tell me what printer you have? I’m looking to get one. To do just what you have done. I need an adapter to the bottom of my unisaw for a dust port.
I got a Monoprice mini delta V2 (Malyan M300) as a Christmas present. It has been one of the best 'toys' I have ever had I use it all the time. First, disadvantages:- It's print bed is 110mm Diameter X 120mm high, so relatively small when compared to some of the bigger units out there. So far, it hasn't really been a great problem for me. It doesn't do really small parts very well, but I suspect that's a common problem for all 3D printers.
The good points. It's cheap. It works very well, self leveling bed, the supplied slicer, Wibuilder works very well, it's very quiet, It works out of the box, WiFi connection. There's a good support site here.
I'm sure I will get a larger printer in future, but I would still use the Monoprice.
I use FreeCad. So far, I've been able to do everything I need using it.

Latest posts

Back