Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice indeed. Well made and beautiful wood. But here's the thing; you used African blackwood for the dividers and then covered them (at least partially) with leather/suede (very nicely done, btw). I have some salvaged leather which I was intending to use in the same way that you have but I can't bring myself to cover beautiful wood with leather/suede. Is it just me being obsessive? Do others feel the same way? But then how do you protect delicate jewellery items, if not with soft lining? To line or not to line, that is the question.... One of life's deep imponderables?
Thanks! I did have similar thoughts about the african blackwood, but i actually had a couple of lenghts spare from another project which were pretty much the perfect thickness and width already, and i didnt want to go for a lighter contrasting wood against the black suede, so the blackwood was perfect for the job as it also matched the colour, as well as being strong and dimensionally stable. So the blackwood dividers are not fixed in place, just a snug fit, so there’s always the option in future of removing the dividers to use the box for something else. As you’ve already said, i wanted something soft to be in contact with any watches etc, hence thought it best to line it properly. Painstaking work tho!! But worth it in my opinion

Made another podlet/flower type thing again, took 3 attempts today, the stems kept breaking.
20220504_183903.jpg
20220504_183852.jpg
20220504_183843.jpg

This one is a Bday present for a colleague.

Not finished, but part turned wet wood, bowls - freshly turned and full of promise. Have now placed them in a couple of paper sacks to season until around this time next year. The larger ones are Leylandii, the smaller ones Yew. The Leylandii came down in the recent winter storms, the Yew was from an Estate garden

Attachments

• IMG_3751_1Bowls.jpg
    IMG_3751_1Bowls.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 26
Not finished, but part turned wet wood, bowls - freshly turned and full of promise. Have now placed them in a couple of paper sacks to season until around this time next year. The larger ones are Leylandii, the smaller ones Yew. The Leylandii came down in the recent winter storms, the Yew was from an Estate garden
How was the leylandii to turn, I have some in my store that came down earlier this year. Never turned it before, looks very sappy!

How was the leylandii to turn, I have some in my store that came down earlier this year. Never turned it before, looks very sappy!
Hi there, The Leylandii was fun to turn - big ribbon shavings and very wet. At times it felt like turning in a rain -shower. Will only be able to fully appreciate the look, when it's finished. My son rates the wood quite highly. He and his boss planked a large Leylandii, several years ago, and used the timber on several jobs.

The Leylandii came down in the recent winter storms, the Yew was from an Estate garden
I Turned some lovely bowls from fresh Leylandii last year and the smell was wonderful. It reminded me of rose water or Turkish delight.
I did similar to you and roughed them out but I was in too much of a hurry to let them dry naturally so I popped them into the microwave for a few minuets at a time which did a good job and was able to finish them off.
They still smelt lovey when I gave them away.

While waiting for the house sale to go through i was looking for a project to get stuck into, so i thought i’d make myself, what i call, a ‘man box’… which is a watch storage box where i’ll also keep cufflinks, rings etc in.

The box is all solid wood, made of British Walnut (with some spalting), the lid is crotch figure from the same log, with the compartment dividers made of African Blackwood, all lining made of black dyed pig suade, and treated myself to the ‘smart hinges’ and ‘smart lock’. Not obvious from the photos, but the sides of the box are all angled by a subtle 2.5 degrees, so unfortunately this was already cut when i received the hinges and lock, so i had to fit them all by hand rather than on a router table as recommended. This project had been great hand tool practice!

I still have to make the ‘watch pillows’, and also the ring/cufflink storage insert though!

View attachment 134966View attachment 134967View attachment 134968View attachment 134969View attachment 134970View attachment 134971View attachment 134972View attachment 134973View attachment 134974View attachment 134975
Fantastic!! Where do you purchase your pig suede from, if you don’t mind telling? Cheers Robyn

Back