Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I don't know if this counts as stuff I'v made, but I did have a lot to do with it LOL:

DSC02300.jpeg

Black and Decker workmate 400

I have had one of these for over 40 years. Easy to erect and fold, light and portable, very stable given its weight. Much better than the modern B&D version which is rubbish.

Bought this one recently for £3 on FB Marketplace. My son will put it in a house he is renovating.

Before and after picture below. Glued up the bits of de laminated jaws, fitted the plastic inserts under the jaws correctly, replaced the bent long bolt jammed in with a proper nut and bolt, cut some wooden feet and straightened some of the braces. Works fine and am now thinking about a long term use as I still have the one I bought 40 years ago.

Before
D73E9C2E-35E8-43A9-8A86-3584DC33D5BB.jpeg

After
C45C4268-131B-47EE-950B-AB081C6385A7.jpeg

Black and Decker workmate 400

I have had one of these for over 40 years. Easy to erect and fold, light and portable, very stable given its weight. Much better than the modern B&D version which is rubbish.

Bought this one recently for £3 on FB Marketplace. My son will put it in a house he is renovating.

Before and after picture below. Glued up the bits of de laminated jaws, fitted the plastic inserts under the jaws correctly, replaced the bent long bolt jammed in with a proper nut and bolt, cut some wooden feet and straightened some of the braces. Works fine and am now thinking about a long term use as I still have the one I bought 40 years ago.

Before
View attachment 134396
After
View attachment 134398

I remember the original B & D Workmate being launched, I am sure they featured on TV in an advert, Early 70's I think but not totally sure as memory wearing out a little these days.

Really nice to see you fixing your sons one and you are right it will probably last another 40 years at least. Great Job.

I remember the original B & D Workmate being launched, I am sure they featured on TV in an advert, Early 70's I think but not totally sure as memory wearing out a little these days.

Really nice to see you fixing your sons one and you are right it will probably last another 40 years at least. Great Job.
My recollection is first seeing them advertised mid seventies and thought they were a bit of a gimmick, probably was a tv advert. Then I saw a carpenter using one and could see they were useful so decided to buy one. Chose the 400 model as it was cheaper, now prefer it over the larger ones which I find too big, awkward and heavy to move and store, but they are better when erected.

Nice I haven't got that model is it robust unlike the rubbish big shed copies??
It is easy to erect and dismantle, no fiddly clips or locking screws, just open up, and push cross brace down to lock. Lift cross brace and fold to close. Simple. Easily takes my weight. They are light so portable but are not a workbench substitute, for chopping out joints etc the bigger heavier ones with a step you can put weight on would be better.

Finding them nearby can take a long time. I had ebay searches and did searches on fb marketplace for months. I have recently bought three, one for my son, one for son in law and this latest one which I happened to spot and my son wanted. He previously had the modern B&D version which we both found to be fiddly and awkward to fold, unfold. Mine has had nothing done to it in 40 years, two of the ones I bought, this one and another (£3 and £5) needed a bit of work, one needed the braces removing and hammering straight and then it worked fine. I would pay £20+ for a good one not needing any work.

Last edited:
I have standard one ah the big one but not the little one or the tool box one, which I was thinking of getting for my dad.

I've spent the last week in 2 projects. Making planters for the garden and using up a lot of horrible scrap pallet and construction timber.

Pictures will follow.

And remaking my diy overhead dust collection.

Principle of the previous one was OK but I failed to take into account the effect of splitting the 1x 125mm duct in to 2x 125mm ducts which lead to both over and under blade extraction lacking suction ability.

So having invested in some 80mm ducting and flex ducting I now have what appears to be a much better solution.
IMG_20220427_193957.jpg
IMG_20220427_193126.jpg
IMG_20220427_193141.jpg
IMG_20220427_193152.jpg
IMG_20220427_193844.jpg

Don't hate on the duct taping!

I've spent the last week in 2 projects. Making planters for the garden and using up a lot of horrible scrap pallet and construction timber.

Pictures will follow.

And remaking my diy overhead dust collection.

Principle of the previous one was OK but I failed to take into account the effect of splitting the 1x 125mm duct in to 2x 125mm ducts which lead to both over and under blade extraction lacking suction ability.

So having invested in some 80mm ducting and flex ducting I now have what appears to be a much better solution.View attachment 134628View attachment 134624View attachment 134625View attachment 134626View attachment 134627

Don't hate on the duct taping!
Dust what dust!!!

Cool crown guard is it independent from the table saw? Might have to make one!

Dust what dust!!!

Cool crown guard is it independent from the table saw? Might have to make one!

Yes, It's hinged on the wall so I can move it up should I need it out of the way.

Hopefully it'll make a difference to the dust levels.......until I turn the lathe on that is of course

I did it slightly differently watching a slow motion vid it showed most of the dust going forward from the gullet of the blade :View attachment 134649
That looks a little pro than mine.

I positioned the hose as far forward on the blade as I could as I'd seen YouTube videos showing that the majority of the dust will effectively be thrown forward.

Does your set up have an internal arc above the teeth of the blade?

I’m in the workshop only intermittently this year as I am doing a big heritage building refurb. But the last week or so the lime plasterer was in my way so I got to be in the joinery making a few incidentals for the same customer. See below. Made a whole lot of mouldings to match his existing ones as well but they aren’t really worthy of a photograph.
55779A73-DD3F-40AD-BDBB-3DDF8DDE2194.jpeg

911B047F-1767-4EE9-8517-39DC9AABE48B.jpeg

IMO all accords it they are going on hard standing or on earth and if they have a base, if they do then a set of sacrificial legs would make a lot of difference, Oak is hardy enough to last twenty years if not in contact with earth or moisture, but as you say they need lining, I used a pond liner on my effort. Just to add the base is lift out slats to allow replacement, holes drilled through the liner and tubes hot glued in to allow drainage.

PS: you can't drill through the liner it just bunch's up around the bit, I used a leather punch to make a hole to drill through, and countersunk the hole.

Last edited:
I’m in the workshop only intermittently this year as I am doing a big heritage building refurb. But the last week or so the lime plasterer was in my way so I got to be in the joinery making a few incidentals for the same customer. See below. Made a whole lot of mouldings to match his existing ones as well but they aren’t really worthy of a photograph.View attachment 134716
View attachment 134715
They look great. What finishes have you used please?

Back