Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After several weeks of emails back and forth with the not so very helpful customer service (you wouldn't think it) department at Draper. They kindly informed me that the, at what can best be described as, somewhat usable bandsaw I have of theirs is no longer supported by them and they do not hold, import or order parts for the machine anymore. None of their current models use compatible parts (at least not the parts I need). By the end of the conversation they may as well have said "just fornicate off".

Not to be deterred, and without the budget currently to upgrade my machine for one of those tall slim beautiful Laguna or Jet models I see people flaunting in the background of a picture of their latest masterpiece of design and craftsmanship. I set about fabricobbling a solution to my problem.

As with much of what I make it leans more on the functional side of design. And I think probably also leans too!!

Upper and lower blade guides.

I will be taking order should anyone be interested in this very stylish aftermarket modification. If we could get together and come up with a rota which you can all stick to when sending in your orders I would greatly appreciate it so as not to crash my emails!

*free picture of a lazy cat
IMG_20220402_104233.jpg
IMG_20220402_104246.jpg
IMG_20220402_104253.jpg
IMG_20220402_104300.jpg
IMG-20220324-WA0000.jpg

After several weeks of emails back and forth with the not so very helpful customer service (you wouldn't think it) department at Draper. They kindly informed me that the, at what can best be described as, somewhat usable bandsaw I have of theirs is no longer supported by them and they do not hold, import or order parts for the machine anymore. None of their current models use compatible parts (at least not the parts I need). By the end of the conversation they may as well have said "just fornicate off".

Not to be deterred, and without the budget currently to upgrade my machine for one of those tall slim beautiful Laguna or Jet models I see people flaunting in the background of a picture of their latest masterpiece of design and craftsmanship. I set about fabricobbling a solution to my problem.

As with much of what I make it leans more on the functional side of design. And I think probably also leans too!!

I will be taking order should anyone be interested in this very stylish aftermarket modification. If we could get together and come up with a rota which you can all stick to when sending in your orders I would greatly appreciate it so as not to crash my emails!

*free picture of a lazy catView attachment 132966View attachment 132967View attachment 132968View attachment 132969View attachment 132970
Great job and great new word fabricobbling, added to be vocab!

Some of you may have seen my thread asking for opinions on a piece of oak I had on the lathe,
View attachment 132947
Unfortunately the rot was too advanced, after cutting a tenon and turning it round a huge pice of the foot flew off so I had to remove the stem and remaining part of the foot and turn it into a simple bowl, cutting this was a nightmare, even with a freshly ground edge I was struggling to get clean cuts so ended up doing about 3 hours of sanding this morning, a few marks I couldn't get out but the honey gold colour makes up for that...
View attachment 132948View attachment 132949View attachment 132950View attachment 132951View attachment 132952View attachment 132953View attachment 132954
Really beautiful work - love the rays across the grain!

Couple of quick pens turned on the lathe to cure this morning’s boredom. The stainless pen kit is 4000yr old Bog Oak, and the gunmetal pen kit is Snakewood.

71000AB4-7327-4DEF-8C11-ECC9DF0B420C.jpeg
9B1AD533-AFFC-46D0-B6AD-37991ABFC408.jpeg
92D73437-4B3C-48D1-9180-39B21FF23708.jpeg
41E56E70-3888-451D-AE9B-BE6792B04C01.jpeg

Snakewood is a bit of a nightmare to work with due to it’s brittleness and tendency to split/splinter. The first blank ended up as expensive scrap… i duct taped around the second blank to make sure it didn’t split when drilling etc!

CD16FD5A-A80C-4057-B52C-990CAE37A7D8.jpeg

Really beautiful work - love the rays across the grain!
Thanks, hopefully the 2nd half of the log will look just as good, this piece of oak is definately one of my favourite woods to look at but oh boy it was a PITA to work, didn't want to cut cleanly regardless of tool sharpness, sanding was an absolute chore.

*free picture of a lazy catView attachment 132966View attachment 132967View attachment 132968View attachment 132969View attachment 132970
Well done and well fabricobbled.
Cat picks get a big aww.
Regards
John

I've some spalted ash coming my way any good for turning?
Defo. Of course it depends on how 'punky' it is but spalting in Ash can really make some nice patterns possibly because of the different grain structures to that of the regular favourites like Beech and Maple. Can't wait to see what you 'turn' out.

Defo. Of course it depends on how 'punky' it is but spalting in Ash can really make some nice patterns possibly because of the different grain structures to that of the regular favourites like Beech and Maple. Can't wait to see what you 'turn' out.
Easier to turn than oak that oak that halted my turning career?!🤣🤣🤣

I've some spalted ash coming my way any good for turning?
I can't say as new to the turning game but what I've found out so far is that chestnut is nice to turn and sands up well. Pine not too exciting but liked the eucalyptus for patterns. However I'm still trying to finish some wood a mate gave me but do not know the name of it. Fairly red, interesting grain but it's a mongrel to work with. Cracks, really difficult to sand and on the verge of giving up and using for firewood. So give it a shot and looking forward to seeing the results! 🖒🖒🖒

Latest posts

Back