Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just finished building a tortoise pen in the garden.

There are a lot more photos in my Instagram link below if you want to see more.

1.png
2.png
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.png
6.png

I have just completed another light ~130mm square and ~100mm high from Iroko and acrylic.

It has 32 RGB LED's so can have any RGB colour from the range I program into it and is selectable by the user. It has four light level settings and runs off any 5V power source as long as it has a mico USB on the lamp end. The light will remember the last colour setting.

_MG_2668.jpg

This is not a master work by any means, but it is a way of putting some offcuts to good use. If you have a wife/mother/grandmother/sister/aunt/girlfriend who makes crochet squares for blankets etc, they may appreciate something like this. Just an idea, anyway. Yes I am being sexist, but I'd bet 95% of people doing crochet work are female :) If you don't know what they might want such a thing for.... well, there's an opportunity to start a conversation and earn some brownie points. Not to mention pointing out just how useful woodworking is! ;)
The board is cherry and the lid is American black walnut (much too good to waste), the pins are 4mm diameter brass rod.

PS I forgot to mention, this one is for my sister, whose eldest daughter is about to have twins, so she is busy with her crochet needle.

Attachments

• Crochet-square-pin-board.jpg
    Crochet-square-pin-board.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Some of the things on here are superb, way above my skill level and this is a great thread to scroll back through for inspiration.
This isn't something I made but I'd like to make it whole again . A gift from my father some fifty years ago, but I can't remember how to close the magic Matchbox... any body familiar with these ? I think this is about 100 years old but not sure. Any body help me to identify the wood too please ?

IMG_9394.jpg
IMG_9396.jpg
IMG_9397.jpg

relatively finished guitar (sorry about the orange basement carpet!) Some nits to fix and need to make an ebony truss rod cover and knobs. nearly a copy of a les paul special aside from bits that would be a problem if I ever get overrun with my own stuff in the future and want to sell it (most notably, the peghead isn't the same shape as gibson's).

mahogany body, mexican box substitute (castelo) for the fingerboard and peghead overlay. Neck is cherry sawn from a table blank (big enough so that you can saw something straight (quartered with no runout in any direction) out of the lot that will make a guitar neck.

Not a perfect guitar, but all part of learning (plays fine, intonates fine). Electrics bits are taken from a gibson setup. Not a huge fan of gibson guitars, but their pickup, switch and jack setups sound good.

Of all things, it looks like I went half to sleep on the very last fret slot (fortunately, anything on the low side is never going to be played on it).

20220314_205344.jpg
20220314_205402.jpg

I guess the back covers need to be installed, too.

Finish is just buttonlac, french polished. Low fuss to apply and low fuss to touch up in the future, but does have a bit of a 70s guitar look.

Nut looks crooked (maybe a shadow?) fortunately, it's not actually crooked.

Some of the things on here are superb, way above my skill level and this is a great thread to scroll back through for inspiration.
This isn't something I made but I'd like to make it whole again . A gift from my father some fifty years ago, but I can't remember how to close the magic Matchbox... any body familiar with these ? I think this is about 100 years old but not sure. Any body help me to identify the wood too please ?

View attachment 131630View attachment 131631View attachment 131632
Does the bottom part of the lid slide back and forth with a slot round the hinge and is then locked in place by the top of the lid

Something like that yes. No hinge but the two part lid pivots round the pin. The trick has to be to move the bottom part of the lid away from the raised notch and then the top of the lid locks it into place. Thats the theory i think but how to do that. maybe I need to post a video /

Latest posts

Back