Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 5 years ago, a good mate of mine had to have an Oak tree cut down in his garden for various reasons....He asked me if I wanted any of it and, of course, I said yes.
After it had been felled, it lay on the ground for about a month before he & I managed to find the time to manhandle a couple of decent sized bits up his garden and into the back of my van.
I kept the logs in my workshop for about another month or so before re-sawing them into planks and putting them in stick.

5 years on, it was coming up to his 60th birthday ( my 60th in 2 weeks as well...) and i thought I'd make him a decorative mitered box out of the Oak from his garden.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that some of the planks had Spalted, so i picked a couple that were not too punky and the pictures below are the result.
It's a bit rustic, but hopefully he will like it...!

Finish was 4 coats of Sanding Sealer, flatted down between coats and final coat of Microcrystalline Wax, buffed.

Size is 360mm wide x 190mm deep x 100mm high and lined with self adhesive black felt. All the Oak is about 9mm thick.

View attachment 128626View attachment 128627View attachment 128628View attachment 128629View attachment 128630View attachment 128631
I'm 60 next week can I be your mate.....

Lovely work!

Ps I'm not 60 just yet!

About 5 years ago, a good mate of mine had to have an Oak tree cut down in his garden for various reasons....He asked me if I wanted any of it and, of course, I said yes.
After it had been felled, it lay on the ground for about a month before he & I managed to find the time to manhandle a couple of decent sized bits up his garden and into the back of my van.
I kept the logs in my workshop for about another month or so before re-sawing them into planks and putting them in stick.

5 years on, it was coming up to his 60th birthday ( my 60th in 2 weeks as well...) and i thought I'd make him a decorative mitered box out of the Oak from his garden.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that some of the planks had Spalted, so i picked a couple that were not too punky and the pictures below are the result.
It's a bit rustic, but hopefully he will like it...!

Finish was 4 coats of Sanding Sealer, flatted down between coats and final coat of Microcrystalline Wax, buffed.

Size is 360mm wide x 190mm deep x 100mm high and lined with self adhesive black felt. All the Oak is about 9mm thick.

View attachment 128626View attachment 128627View attachment 128628View attachment 128629View attachment 128630View attachment 128631
That's a beautiful box
(y)

Definitely the last thing I made as I’ve only just finished gluing them up, 2 pine internal doors which will be fitted next week with a bit of luck.
520FE7DC-549A-4EA0-A96C-67FD480C2FE8.jpeg

Our godson and his fiance have just put in a successful offer to buy their first flat, I am so proud of them both, he was recently accepted into the police force which has been a dream of his since he was at school and she has recently qualified as a school teacher (as a school caretaker I can honestly say there isn't enough money or alcohol in the world to get me to do that job) I told them I would like to make them a homewarming gift and asked if there's anything they would like, having both looked at some of my creations they both liked a little two sided tray thing I recently made so asked if I could make them a key tray each, this got me pretty excited to make something and immediately came up with 2 ideas, first was to turn a thick walled tray and split it in half to make them wall mounted and my other idea was to make 2 from 1 piece of wood, they said they would prefer loose table top so out I went to see what I had, I decided on a piece of cherry and mounted it between centres, I then took my parting tool to the middle and reduced a 1/2 inch width down to about 50mm then in the centre I parted through to create 2 pieces with a tenon, then mounted, trued up the bottom and created a recess, sanded to 320, abrasive paste and hard wax finish, flipped it over, hollowed and repeated then repeated the whole process for the second one, im supernhappy with hoentheyve come out, not a perfect bookmatch of eachother but good enough.
20220205_173505.jpg
20220205_173513.jpg
20220205_173521.jpg

This isn't the last thing I made. In fact I made it a while back and intended to post it after I had given it as a 'big birthday' present (along with other gifts). Then forgot to post it. So here it is. It's Robinia burr riddled with woodworm (log dead). Voids and worm holes filled with resin and glitter.

View attachment 128459

View attachment 128460

View attachment 128461

It's somewhere around 120 x 120mm.

Gary
I got a large lump of robinia last week for a chopping stump, it's up for grabs when I'm finished with it, if anyone wants it. (Send me a PM. Collect in Kennington, London in April)

I'll keep an eye out if they're felling more and grab the burl.

Our godson and his fiance have just put in a successful offer to buy their first flat, I am so proud of them both, he was recently accepted into the police force which has been a dream of his since he was at school and she has recently qualified as a school teacher (as a school caretaker I can honestly say there isn't enough money or alcohol in the world to get me to do that job) I told them I would like to make them a homewarming gift and asked if there's anything they would like, having both looked at some of my creations they both liked a little two sided tray thing I recently made so asked if I could make them a key tray each, this got me pretty excited to make something and immediately came up with 2 ideas, first was to turn a thick walled tray and split it in half to make them wall mounted and my other idea was to make 2 from 1 piece of wood, they said they would prefer loose table top so out I went to see what I had, I decided on a piece of cherry and mounted it between centres, I then took my parting tool to the middle and reduced a 1/2 inch width down to about 50mm then in the centre I parted through to create 2 pieces with a tenon, then mounted, trued up the bottom and created a recess, sanded to 320, abrasive paste and hard wax finish, flipped it over, hollowed and repeated then repeated the whole process for the second one, im supernhappy with hoentheyve come out, not a perfect bookmatch of eachother but good enough.
View attachment 128757View attachment 128758View attachment 128759
Very nice. I love natural edge bowls.

Very nice. I love natural edge bowls.
This cherry seems to be very good at holding onto the bark, and cuts very nicely, only issues I'm having is finding beetle larvae eating their way through between the wood and bark, these 2 and the previous piece I made had the little horrors alive and fat chewing their way through.

This cherry seems to be very good at holding onto the bark, and cuts very nicely, only issues I'm having is finding beetle larvae eating their way through between the wood and bark, these 2 and the previous piece I made had the little horrors alive and fat chewing their way through.
Ca glue the bark on while turning, and microwave the bowls to kill any sneaky hiding eggs or larva.,

Got in some reps doing butterfly/bowtie/dovetail keys (who knows which term is correct!?). As usual i overcomplicate things for myself, so the design and shape i came up with was far from straightforward to do. As well as hogging out as much of the waste i could with a 1/4” bit on a plunge router, i needed to use every single one of these chisels, as well as a scalpel!! Hopefully they’ll look good once the epoxy is dry and it’s planed down…

3A1798AD-4AE3-4996-AB01-4D982C3D7AC4.jpeg

44D1348F-AE81-4B82-9F99-7F8FB06044AA.jpeg

I made a couple of tables for a bar, one of which is a very long (2.6m) 'Sommelier' table which for the un-cultured like myself, is a wine expert.

PXL_20220207_135857324-01.jpeg

PXL_20220207_140050936-01.jpeg

PXL_20220207_135817688-01.jpeg

PXL_20220204_155208216-01.jpeg

PXL_20220203_164542753-01.jpeg

They're not fully finished yet. They'll be ebonised, bronze socks painted onto the tapered legs and a cnc cut fluted surround apron fitted onto the plywood upper section.

Back