Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely gorgeous bench, a real shame they don't like them being treated/protected.
Just seen this. Whilst I can understand the non oil policy of NT, they really should be put under cover over winter, even it its just under a tarpaulin behind a shed, that would double or treble the life of these lovely benches. I've adopted my mums tried of method of spring clean, using some Jays fluid, it washes off the green and they stay a nice shade of grey all summer. It does arest the decline, although the wood dries out over time.
Jay isn't nice stuff, although it has natural phenols in it. But a bucket of diluted jays goes a very long way, can do a dozen green bits of furniture, and a lot less effort than soap and water. The bucket ends up very green by the end. Just careful where to pour the waste away.

If I remember my Dutch, Nooitgedagt means: Never thought of. Interesting, as lovely as it is there must have been plenty of other similar wooden planes. Nice job though.
That's right, it's an interesting name that I've never encountered before except for this old brand. There's a ton of these out there on the used market here in the Netherlands. Going for about €20.

They're quite basic planes, definitely not as nice as the German ECE or Ulmia wooden jointers, but a lot cheaper. Biggest downside is that they're not wide, this one uses standard No 4 blade.

Hello everyone. New to the forum and new to woodworking.

This weekend I finished this picnic bench made from old pallet wood.
B43AB9E7-0B63-41EC-95B8-9E8EBDBB1B96.jpeg
A9CED732-1618-4695-BAF1-98E85C61C865.jpeg
51DA18FF-A972-4298-92A1-2710893DD866.jpeg

Spalted Sycamore bowl, 7.5 inches by 3 inches, it was a nightmare to finish, no matter how sharp I got the gouge there was loads of tear out so ended up doing a massive amount of sanding starting at 40grit up to 400 then hit it twice with abrasive paste and 2 coats of hardwax finish.
20220201_164926.jpg
20220201_164911.jpg
20220201_164839.jpg
20220201_164830.jpg
20220201_161241.jpg

Had my coat on today at the lathe to turn this rustic mushroom from very green Sycamore given to me at the weekend

IMG_20220201_105959560_HDR.jpg

The tree was felled Saturday & I was told I could have as much as I wanted as long as I cut it up so I turned the mushroom as a thank you

IMG_20220130_132356805_HDR.jpg

Apart from some bits for turning I also got the first 6' section of trunk Which is going to get planked eventually

IMG_20220131_115743867.jpg

On my way home from fetching the Sycamore I called on a mate who surprised me with this lovely chunk of Hawthorne, all in all a good weekend.
IMG_20220130_120452377_HDR.jpg

Had my coat on today at the lathe to turn this rustic mushroom from very green Sycamore given to me at the weekend

View attachment 128419

The tree was felled Saturday & I was told I could have as much as I wanted as long as I cut it up so I turned the mushroom as a thank you

View attachment 128417

Apart from some bits for turning I also got the first 6' section of trunk Which is going to get planked eventually

View attachment 128418

On my way home from fetching the Sycamore I called on a mate who surprised me with this lovely chunk of Hawthorne, all in all a good weekend.
View attachment 128416
As I said on IG, that mushroom is going to look awesome as I'd dries and weathers, that Hawthorn piece is gorgeous 😍

As I said on IG, that mushroom is going to look awesome as I'd dries and weathers, that Hawthorn piece is gorgeous 😍
Hopefully it will, I took it over last night & it was gratefully received so that was nice. I agree about the Hawthorn hopefully I’ll have time at the weekend to cut it up & see what useful timber I can get out of it.

Hopefully it will, I took it over last night & it was gratefully received so that was nice. I agree about the Hawthorn hopefully I’ll have time at the weekend to cut it up & see what useful timber I can get out of it.
I have several smaller pieces out in the school grounds, they've been out there years but seem to still be pretty solid, planning to bring them in at some point and mount on the lathe, I've been told it's a nice wood to turn.

I'm jealous of that Hawthorn too. I've turned quite a few pieces from it but they all tend to be small because they come from the firewood pile and the larger pieces have been split to size already.

This isn't the last thing I made. In fact I made it a while back and intended to post it after I had given it as a 'big birthday' present (along with other gifts). Then forgot to post it. So here it is. It's Robinia burr riddled with woodworm (log dead). Voids and worm holes filled with resin and glitter.

DSC_0714 (2).jpg

DSC_0712.jpg

DSC_0720 (2).jpg

It's somewhere around 120 x 120mm.

Gary

View attachment 128419

View attachment 128417

View attachment 128418

View attachment 128416
From what I've read your sycamore should be stood on end to season so any sap runs down. It's supposed to help with its not staining.

Back