Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
16426251705383807979643267418195.jpg

This started out a 480 x 500 x 65mm blank. It's an off-cut from the same batch of oak boards as the previous larger oak bowl I posted a few days ago. This blank had a much severe cup than the other and a crack near the middle of it. I decided to cut the cracked section out losing a 40mm section from the middle. I could then plane the two cut edges square to the faces and joint them. This took out the cup but the join is visible especially in this 'flashed' photograph. The finished bowl is 350 x 50mm.

P1070154.jpg

P1070153.jpg

So a few weeks ago you may have seen my first bowl I turned well this is not quite a plate or a bowl really, it's what I'd call a nick nacks tray... you walk in and dump keys and money from your pockets on it.....
It has an unexpected resin centre....I may have got the bottom thinner than I thought and when I was adding the pattern I created an opportunity for my first go at using resin ;)

IMG_2327.jpeg
IMG_2328.jpeg

Regards

Padster

Last edited:
Wow stig Morgan spalting on that birch is absolutely beautiful nature's finest art up there with Jack frost's Ice art on Windows in a house I lived in 70's

Not the last thing I made, as I dont have photos of that, but the next to last thing. Its Sewing Machine Table that was mostly made from scrap I had lying around. The lower legs were made in 25x25x2 box section, and the uppers from 20x20x2. This was done to allow th height adjustment. Their design was a rough copy of the type used for some industrial sewing machines. Drawers were scrap ones I found.

The wooden top was "marbled, which is an old finishing technique.

IMG_1751.JPG

When I swivel the headstock of my lathe to turn larger bowls, I can't get the tool rest as close as I would like mainly because the design of the banjo makes it awkward. It's not a great problem and I've been turning on this lathe for many years. But, four years ago I bought a cheap stick Aldi welder to make a 72"x2" belt grinder so I thought it's about time I made a new rest with more over-hang than my Record rest. It's made from angle iron bolted and welded to the stem which is a piece of cold chisel. Then I welded a piece of round steel bar to the angle iron.
Does anyone know the shade of green that Record uses? The one I've sprayed this with is Racing Green apparently.

Gary
P1070158.jpg
P1070159.jpg

Joking aside, that newel post is spectacular
Yes, gone are the days where people put money into art in there homes. The post is spectacular. I remember when I was youhg going to grammas house with the huge stairs and banister rails. And the entrance on the deck with the countless hours of man work in the details of the posts etc. and every house on the street was the same. A carpenter was a carpenter with countless planes and chisels in there kit.

Lefley,
u have a tradition of jobbing carpenters over there.....they were well regarded I believe....
still copied a lot......
not so much here.....
besides our normal houses u cant swing a cat, let alone have a decent staircase....
the Victoreans were the last users of good carpentry style in general use I beleive....

Mobile table saw cart. Just made it out of chipboard I was throwing. I don’t like throwing things that can be re-used. I know it’s not a a chippendale and it’s pretty ugly but I’m happy.

View attachment 127717
My best builds are the ones that make our tools look good and make them more function-able. I love the Henry vacuum! They are soooo expensive here in Canada.

Latest posts

Back