Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20220109_120954.jpg
20220109_121043.jpg

I was asked by my son to hang a new dartboard in his flat. He'd also bought a surround to catch the odd stray dart and was hoping the two items could go on one of the doors in his hallway, the only choice of where to hang the board in the flat. However, this would have put it a good 200 mm below regulation height. So I offered to make a pack-away stand - with lighting.

In an effort to keep costs down it's made from 2 x 4 CLS that I converted into 38 x 25 mm battens, a piece of 9mm MDF and cheap piano hinges.
This is it packed away for storage (1350 × 750 x 80mm).

View attachment 127030

And unfolded it looks like this.

View attachment 127031

The lights are USB rechargeable as there isn't a convenient mains point in the hallway and are mounted on short battens that bolt into the top corners of the backing board.
Very nice. Is darts a big thing over there in England? I know years ago I got a pool cue made for me in England and shipped over to Canada. A barracuda. Everyone thought I was crazy, til I started taking all there money!

Last edited:
I made this bodge to improve the extraction on my router table, while I decide whether or not to buy the Wonder Fence. A 38mm to 63mm adaptor from Charnwood, marked with a pencil, cut with junior hacksaw, Dremel disc, and Stanley knife. Wodges nicely into the end of the extrusion, and chip capture is noticeably better. It will get in the way of any workpieces that have to run right across the table though.

20220116_121017.jpg

20220116_120958.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't really make this, my 3D printer did.

Some waste side kerf jigs for the track saw:

1642337428788.png

For use like this:

1642337440051.png

In two different sizes so that they clip together for easy storage:

1642337455598.png

Files are here in case anyone is interested (also includes models for lots of other kerf sizes for different track saws): PrusaPrinters

Sometimes the simplest builds are the most ingenious and effective. Minus -20 here last week. Not all wood is destined for the lathe. Let’s hope my dementia doesn’t kick in and i use this piece of wood for my next project!

View attachment 127083
It took me a while! Brilliant, made me chortle when I finally got it.

we rescue new born puppies......
they usually leave bfore they cock their leg.....hahaha....

the last 2 from the 7 we saved leave next week....now almost 4months old.....
I sugested a month off to my better 1/2 before the next litter.....

So SWMBO 'asked' if I could make a 3d picture frame type thing to house a dried flower, someone she knows recently buried their husband and was drying a couple of flowers from the funeral with the intention of framing them, this got my creative juices flowing so off I went out to my little maker space and had a look at what I've got, I dug out a silver birch round that was about 200x100mm and started working it, I turned a tenon on both ends then parted a section off, I shaped and hollowed the body of the box and then set the recess for the lid plus 4mm extra, I then sanded it to 400 and used abrasive paste followed by 2 coats of diamond wax, then I mounted the remaining part, turned a tenon to tight fit the body of the box and turned the whole thing round, shaped the lid to fit the body then hollowed the lid to form a ring, after all this I then clamped a piece of 4mm acrylic between the head and tailstock and turned a circle that is 2mm smaller than the recess for the lid so that if the wood does move it shouldn't clamp on the acrylic and break it.
20220114_222916.jpg
20220114_222923.jpg
20220114_222938.jpg
16424389085448760822433062758616.jpg

I'll post some more pics once I've got the flower mounted in there and lid glued on.

I made this bodge to improve the extraction on my router table, while I decide whether or not to buy the Wonder Fence. A 38mm to 63mm adaptor from Charnwood, marked with a pencil, cut with junior hacksaw, Dremel disc, and Stanley knife. Wodges nicely into the end of the extrusion, and chip capture is noticeably better. It will get in the way of any workpieces that have to run right across the table though.

View attachment 127075

View attachment 127076
I was looking at Incra router table related things the other day. So expensive. How are you finding it? I was looking at this combo. Saves you about £350 compared to bying individualy. But stilll... Any comments welcome.

I'd buy the positioner and fence and the tabletop. I don't have the Wonder Fence so can't comment on that (though I may well add it).

I wouldn't buy the base again - I'd build a cabinet with drawers and cupboard space (probably from 15mm ply) for the tabletop to sit on, and put that on locking castors or a wheeled base

You'll need to add a router plate or lift - the Incra lift with the Cleansweep rings is pretty good, but I'd say add a digital readout to that so you don't have to remember how many times you've cranked the handle - with a DRO you'll know exactly how far out the bit is, and it'll be easier to zero. I think you pretty much have to add a mitre gauge for a lot of operations, but the eBay special one I bought is really good (and about £45).

Then if you want to make full use of the positioner and the templates you need to buy the router bit set. because the dovetail bits have very specific geometries. And the AUK router motor (or an equivalent) and is nice as you get remote speed control and the Musclechuck (plus the reducing collets) makes changing bits a lot easier.

It's a bit of a slippery spendy slope, and I'm still struggling to make cuts with the precision Incra suggest - you're reliant on a lot of eyeballing (or buying a digital depth gauge). The big right angle jig is a bit of a bodge - by the time you've got the wiggle out of it it's clamped solid to the fence; loosen it enough to slide and it can move laterally. I'm on my fifteenth attempt to cut a 10mm wide slot in the centre of a 30mm wide workpiece with an 8mm wide router bit.

Sorry. Bit of a long answer. I think it has great potential and the positioner is a brilliant idea, but do think if that's how you want to do things. I'm looking at the project that set me off down this path and thinking it'd be easier and quicker to do by hand with a marking gauge, a good saw, and some sharp chisels. I'm confident that I'll turn the corner with it and start getting things made though.

Thanks for this, actually very helpful info! I'm not going to go down that route any time soon, but it's good info gathering. Much appreciated.

No probs.

Basically remember that you'll need to spend as much again to turn the combo into the dream Incra sell - the combo is the first installment, not a complete solution.

And also remember that you need as much room behind the fence as in front, I got rid of mine as it just took up too much room, replaced it with an Axminster UJK professional router table with lift, indexed lifting and good extraction with the extraction box enclosing the router.

Original brief from the wife was for 2 matching side tables in black for the conservatory. I did these, and then we felt that one of them needed to be a nest, so made 2 more.

Pleased with how they turned out - made from oak, and then stained with Indian ink, and then finished with OSMO PolyX Satin.

There is a second of the large tables too which is stand alone as that has something underneath it.

IMG_5635.jpeg

IMG_5636.jpeg

IMG_5639.jpeg

IMG_5641.jpeg

Last edited:
Forgot to say in my post that the oak stands were a pain to hollow out to match their amphora but I managed to do without too many swear words being shouted, once shaped I used a dremel with some carving bits to remove the bulk and shape the 3 supports, then sanded up to 360, I then coated them in some thick watercolour paint and then washed it off to highlight the grain and darken the wood, once dry I wiped on some diamond wax and buffed them up.
20220119_134426.jpg

Nice one they suite the style of the pieces and flow organically with them

Forgot to say in my post that the oak stands were a pain to hollow out to match their amphora but I managed to do without too many swear words being shouted, once shaped I used a dremel with some carving bits to remove the bulk and shape the 3 supports, then sanded up to 360, I then coated them in some thick watercolour paint and then washed it off to highlight the grain and darken the wood, once dry I wiped on some diamond wax and buffed them up.View attachment 127410
Stunningly beautiful.

Back