Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
35+ years ago I started working for a hardwood timber and craft retail shop where I first came across London Plane timber. I also started wood turning and bought a piece of LP which was 6" square and 4ft in length - - - no idea what I'd do with it. I still have it and I'm now thinking of ripping it in to 6" wide boards to use for boxes or similar.
Be careful which way you rip it - it's quite plain (geddit?) if not quarter sawn. I was lucky with my little pieces - they came in as offcuts for the stove, and had quite a bit of burr..

You need a lot more of holes than that if she is anything like my Daughters lol
LOL - so true, but she has lots of little trinkets and nik naks she likes to display, but the middle tray also pulls out and I could put additional holes in that too if she wanted, but I thought I'd give her the option as I can add holes but can't easily remove them ;)

Be careful which way you rip it - it's quite plain (geddit?) if not quarter sawn. I was lucky with my little pieces - they came in as offcuts for the stove, and had quite a bit of burr..
Cheers @Phil Pascoe & @Adam W. - when I can get to it I'll take a couple of pictures to post up. From memory I think it's quite quarter sawn... I seem to remember it being quite figured which made it stand out to me.

We have a tradition of exchanging Christmas tree decorations within the family so this year I thought I'd make our own. A simple tree.

D026273C-2166-4A10-B5F8-18143EA773D7.jpeg

turned into a small copse.

EBFFCDFB-D49C-42A4-920B-1221D3F5A5F5.jpeg

And in position on the tree next to Christmas mouse.

0C45986C-5FF2-4F9B-A4E7-E2A6573C8C60.jpeg

I was struggling a bit with the size of my tools, my smallest skew is an inch which wasn't ideal, luckily I do have a smallish spindle gouge...New subject for tomorrow.

Thanks. I'll take photos of each face and ask for input before going ahead with cutting.
You want to cut at right angles to the annual rings to show the flecking, which might already be visible on one face, in which case you work parallel to that. Easier if you can see the grain on the ends.

It must be Christmas as it's time to bust out a couple of last minute picture frames!

First one is Ash, second one Walnut, both finished with Shellac and wax. Annoyingly I made a mistake on the Ash one that meant I had to use a piece that doesn't match the colour that well. Hopefully the big picture of the grandkids in the frame will distract from it!
Frame2 (2).jpg
Frame1 (2).jpg

Pretty much finished the last of my Christmas presents now.
IMG_2517.jpeg
IMG_2516.jpeg

Despite looking like a simple coaster it is actually a wireless charging station.
IMG_2513.jpeg

The laser engraving is on the bottom so that it leaves a nice clean wood piece on the bedside table.
It's made of Cherry and matches with the watch charging stands I made last year. Watch Stands

I finished up making 5, one for each daughter and one for the wife.
IMG_2514.jpeg

IMG_2515.jpeg

It was a fun little project. I turned the blanks on my mini metal lathe. They were too big for the lathe so I glued the blanks to a bit of metal bar to hold in the chuck then I put a tool in the tool post the wrong way round to get a big enough blank. I turned the disk, holowed it out then milled in the aperture for the micro usb and leds. The wireless charging boards were bought from banggood and I hot glued them into the turned blank. I made sure to create a good seal around the USB port and the LED so that they wouldn't get filled by the epoxy resin. I used a clear casting resin to fill them and then popped them back on the lathe to turn the tops flat. I finaly glued a thin cherry veneer on top. This way I was able to keep the wireless coil within a mm of the top surface to ensure best possible charging.
IMG_2504.jpeg
IMG_2503.jpeg

The bottom one had an accident when getting knocked off the mandrel, I was a little too enthusiastic with the mallet... I used the ruler to hold the charging coil level with the top of the wooden blank as i hot glued it in place. I have a 0.5mm thick packing peice between the ruler and the coil so the coil will be just below the edge.
IMG_2507.jpeg

I made the presentation boxes as well. They were drawn as vectors in Lightburn and cut from 0.5mm thick blue card. They fold up and hold together without any glue.
Here is all 5 waiting to go under the tree. They are all different sizes as I didn't actually measure anything when I sawed out the blanks.
IMG_2518.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2518.jpeg
    IMG_2518.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
So, finally after over a week of literally blood sweat and tears I've finished the other half's Christmas present, it drew blood 3 times, snatched the bowl gouge and slapped me round the head with the handle and worst of all it broke the lathe, gotta order new headstock bearings in the new year (or tomorrow when I visit yandles if they can order them) I did notice a little movement in the tailstock, im hoping its the live centre bearings and not the quill that has the issue.
20211216_143311.jpg
20211222_172550.jpg
20211222_172602.jpg
20211222_172617.jpg
20211222_172621.jpg

If she makes one single negative comment about after the hard work I've put in it she will go on the fire pit with it 😁

A decanter and glass tray made from a mahogany wardrobe that I "liberated" from a skip.
I was asked to make it after someone saw that asymmetric Anglesey bowl I made.
I asked the owner to send a photo but he didn't use the decanter just 4 glasses but you get the idea.
the shape is a representation of the Isle of Anglesey where we live. I used a 1/4 inch (6mm) straight router bit to shape it and painted the edge with black waterbased gloss enamel and varnished it with waterbased polyurethane varnish.
this was the first time I have used this type of varnish and my experiences would be worthy of an article all by itself!
I covered the underneath with Green felt baize which I think adds a little touch.
DT1.jpgDT2.jpgDT3.jpgDT4.jpg
DT5.jpg

Latest posts

Back