Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely bookcase Neil , that Olive wood looks stunning, several years ago I foolishly turned down a transit van full of olive wood that was destined for the fire :eek:all cut from a olive grove in Spain to make way for tennis courtso_O the van was coming back to the UK empty but the offer would have meant traveling a fair way to collect it , sadly:( I was too busy at time :poop::poop::poop:

Lovely bookcase Neil , that Olive wood looks stunning, several years ago I foolishly turned down a transit van full of olive wood that was destined for the fire :eek:all cut from a olive grove in Spain to make way for tennis courtso_O the van was coming back to the UK empty but the offer would have meant traveling a fair way to collect it , sadly:( I was too busy at time :poop::poop::poop:
Thanks Mark.
I wish I could find a few empty transits coming back from Italy. The carriage costs are getting very pricy.

Probably like you, I have a collection of small offcuts that are too good to throw away but too small for anything immediately.
Being lucky enough to own a a lathe I had a little play and came up with these little beauties which are functional as well as quick and could be a nice little earner if you are into that.
These are Oak finished with Danish oil.
the top two are of a garlic keep.
20180115_175451.jpg
20180118_173437.jpg
IMG_20180327_173543.jpg

Very nice. End grain board too! How did you shape the Kaizan foam to perfectly fit the curved mineral oil bottle?
Thanks Grantx!

If you’re talking about the bottom of the foam, it’s flat so it’s not curved around the circumference of the bottle. If you’re talking about just cutting out the outline of the shape i just used one of these knives…
Olfa ARSAC-1 Olfa ARSAC-1 : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

But if you wanted to curve the foam to match the bottle and you had a bunch to batch out, you could find a metal pipe of a similar diameter and heat it up and just press it to the foam… it melts and seals to the shape

Probably like you, I have a collection of small offcuts that are too good to throw away but too small for anything immediately.
Being lucky enough to own a a lathe I had a little play and came up with these little beauties which are functional as well as quick and could be a nice little earner if you are into that.
These are Oak finished with Danish oil.
the top two are of a garlic keep.
View attachment 124639View attachment 124640View attachment 124641
Not easy to get a nice flowing curve. Well done!

So here is the second major pressie, this one for my daughter, she choose Teak and some Sapele but doesn't know what she wanted making, there wasn't going to be enough teak so I got more Sapele as no where local had any affordable teak!
The wood used was all from the same batch and I've not treated any of it differently, the middle shelf also slides in and out...

IMG_2303.jpeg

IMG_2302.jpeg

IMG_2301.jpeg

IMG_2300.jpeg

IMG_2298.jpeg

Regards

Padster

So here is the second major pressie, this one for my daughter, she choose Teak and some Sapele but doesn't know what she wanted making, there wasn't going to be enough teak so I got more Sapele as no where local had any affordable teak!
The wood used was all from the same batch and I've not treated any of it differently, the middle shelf also slides in and out...

View attachment 124720
View attachment 124721
View attachment 124722
View attachment 124723
View attachment 124724

Regards

Padster

You need a lot more of holes than that if she is anything like my Daughters lol

I quite new to all this but I had never heard of London Plane until a small amount appeared at the sawmill I buy my wood from, had to buy a piece even though I had no idea what I was going to use it for at the time lol

35+ years ago I started working for a hardwood timber and craft retail shop where I first came across London Plane timber. I also started wood turning and bought a piece of LP which was 6" square and 4ft in length - - - no idea what I'd do with it. I still have it and I'm now thinking of ripping it in to 6" wide boards to use for boxes or similar.

I'm tentatively posting some photos of a piece of work that I've just completed. It's from a combination of a small amount of walnut and (possibly?) Birds Eye Maple... but I'm not certain. An additional piece of information is that it has a scent to it when being worked on that reminds me of time at school, many years ago, of sharpening pencils... a "Cedar" smell?? Bought 30+ years ago, intending to use it for a desk. 3 off 1" th x 9" w x 60" & 1 off 72" long boards.

A "request" from my daughter after telling us in April she was expecting our first grandchild. Made over a period of 7 months because of the small amount of the timber available so little room for waste as no more available... A great deal of "thought time" in that period. Baby Ben born 4 weeks prem. 11th Oct. 2021.
IMG_20211220_131507.jpgIMG_20211220_131446.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20211220_131423.jpg
    IMG_20211220_131423.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20211221_090945.jpg
    IMG_20211221_090945.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20211221_091109.jpg
    IMG_20211221_091109.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20211221_091049.jpg