Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Asymmetric turning #2
Was asked to make a retirement presentation bowl for someone from the local Sea Cadets.
The requirements were a bowl but had to be shaped like the Isle of Anglesey!
A bit of head scratching and I came up with this :-

IMG_20190925_174427.jpg
IMG_20190925_174440.jpg
IMG_20191010_153517.jpg

Striped Sapele probably not the best choice but Turned out ok, (pardon the pun)

First post on this very informative forum. I feel a bit intimidated seeing the superb work here and in my own defence have to say I don’t have a lot of gear other than my trim router, no 5 plane some chisels and workmate. I’ve renovated three late 19th century /early 20th century chisels as a gift and made my first box to hold them from an old sycamore plank.

Attachments

• B3D8CED0-6385-4F9F-96EE-A234E6AC869F.jpeg
    B3D8CED0-6385-4F9F-96EE-A234E6AC869F.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 25052233-62CA-4995-BE10-8DCDF2061CF9.jpeg
    25052233-62CA-4995-BE10-8DCDF2061CF9.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 77
First time I've done anything on a lathe since school. Bought the lathe with several gouges including a large Sorby roughing gouge with no handle. So..... Old bit of oak banister and an hour and a half later.
IMG_20211207_202712.jpg
IMG_20211207_202624.jpg

Pretty please with it. If anyone has a link to some suitable epoxy for setting the gouge in I'd appreciate it. Also if anyone has an idea about what to use as a metal ring prevent the neck from splitting advice would be welcomed

I always burn new handles on to the tang, was how I was taught and don't know any other way that works long term other than epoxy

First time I've done anything on a lathe since school. Bought the lathe with several gouges including a large Sorby roughing gouge with no handle. So..... Old bit of oak banister and an hour and a half later. View attachment 123621View attachment 123622

Pretty please with it. If anyone has a link to some suitable epoxy for setting the gouge in I'd appreciate it. Also if anyone has an idea about what to use as a metal ring prevent the neck from splitting advice would be welcomed
As @Droogs Said, burn it in or use an epoxy, for the ferrule you could use a piece of copper or brass pipe

First post on this very informative forum. I feel a bit intimidated seeing the superb work here and in my own defence have to say I don’t have a lot of gear other than my trim router, no 5 plane some chisels and workmate. I’ve renovated three late 19th century /early 20th century chisels as a gift and made my first box to hold them from an old sycamore plank.
Lovely job, I do like sycamore. Where did you get the nice catch?

I took the catch off a box that once held a bottle of wine. I had ordered some brass ones online but they looked awful. I found it difficult to source good hinges and catches. Maybe more experienced members and box makers will be able to help. Thanks Mike.

I just finished these plant pot stands for presents. The three from the left are of a mystery wood reclaimed from a neighbours garden table and the far right is reclaimed Sapele window frame and is slightly thicker than the others as it was the prototype. They are 550mm high and take a 220mm pot.

View attachment 123764

They look fantastic - do you have any other photos showing how they are made?

They look fantastic - do you have any other photos showing how they are made?
This is my original sketch which I only changed slightly once we found a source for the pots (Wilko). I was going to dovetail the cross-members into the legs but went for mechanical fixing (screw) wood plug. Stained with Natural Mahogany spirit stain and finished with spray lacquer.

P1060450.jpg

P1060456.jpg
P1060455.jpg

Back