Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Jameshow 1" is way too far unless you have no option, as @Phil Pascoe said, as close as possible, I tend have a couple of millimeters between the rest and the wood and work until there's at most 10 to 15mm then move it in again, obviously this is harder to keep to if you have curves/shape to your piece and when hollowing out, the further away the rest the more chatter you will get as the piece tries to flip the tool out of your hand.

Catching up on this thread with a few bits I've been whittling lately.

Steam bent-laminated Oak refectory type table.
View attachment 122568
View attachment 122569

A refurbishment of some existing old built in wardrobes with fresh Birch Ply doors and birch-edge trims.

View attachment 122570

View attachment 122571
View attachment 122572

Some hedgehog boxes modelled by Harold

View attachment 122573

Oak bookcases with curved doors

View attachment 122574

Cheers.
Oli πŸ‘Š
The table is fantastic an absolute work of art. You should be really chuffed with it. I would love to know how you achieved the corner leg detail. And a talking dog, whats not to like :)

The table is fantastic an absolute work of art. You should be really chuffed with it. I would love to know how you achieved the corner leg detail. And a talking dog, whats not to like :)
Thanks a lot.
Yeah it was a bit of a head scratcher at the time. Essentially quite straightforward but you know, not, if you see what I mean πŸ˜…

Hate to get all social meeja on you, but there's a few shots of the making of the table amongst my Instagram if you fancied a look.

Instagram

Insta

Instagram

Finished piece
Essentially though, it's two differently curved steam bent laminated sections, glued together and then a long Mitre down the outside edge. This was mated with an opposite to make one leg.
Repeat for each corner.

I had to let the legs into the top at the same time as gluing up the long Mitre, otherwise it wouldn't have been possible to put it through the top.

Made a Mercedes 4x4 tractor for a friend's son using the Richard Blizzard plans and some offcuts. Didn't turn out too bad and the wee man is pleased with it.

Attachments

• IMG_20211118_133133.jpg
    IMG_20211118_133133.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20211118_133121.jpg
    IMG_20211118_133121.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 61
Catching up on this thread with a few bits I've been whittling lately.

Steam bent-laminated Oak refectory type table.
View attachment 122568
View attachment 122569

A refurbishment of some existing old built in wardrobes with fresh Birch Ply doors and birch-edge trims.

View attachment 122570

View attachment 122571
View attachment 122572

Some hedgehog boxes modelled by Harold

View attachment 122573

Oak bookcases with curved doors

View attachment 122574

Cheers.
Oli πŸ‘Š

Built a log store out of old facia, pallets and an old shed, my brother had an off cut of rubber roofing. All in cost me a box of nails a can of paint and glue for the rubber. Nothing special about the construction other than it all coming in under about Β£40.
IMG_20211125_073241.jpg

Last edited:
Wanted to try a different finish to the beeswax furniture polish I've been using so today while in town I picked up a tin of pure walnut oil to use as a foodsafe finish, when I got home I went straight out to put a coat on the cherrywood pedestal bowl I started a while ago, this piece is going to be a Xmas gift for a friend, pretty sure he will love it asuch as I do.
So far it has one coat of oil, I'm not sure how long I should leave it between coats so going to leave it overnight, I'll put another coat on in the morning followed by a 3rd in the afternoon, if the wood still seems thirsty at theb3rd coat I'll do a 4th after work Monday afternoon.

Wanted to try a different finish to the beeswax furniture polish I've been using so today while in town I picked up a tin of pure walnut oil to use as a foodsafe finish, when I got home I went straight out to put a coat on the cherrywood pedestal bowl I started a while ago, this piece is going to be a Xmas gift for a friend, pretty sure he will love it asuch as I do.
So far it has one coat of oil, I'm not sure how long I should leave it between coats so going to leave it overnight, I'll put another coat on in the morning followed by a 3rd in the afternoon, if the wood still seems thirsty at theb3rd coat I'll do a 4th after work Monday afternoon.
View attachment 122792

Very nice, I always thought that with oils it is always best to leave it for 24 hours between coats ( I may well be wrong )

Very nice, I always thought that with oils it is always best to leave it for 24 hours between coats ( I may well be wrong )
You are probably right, I've checked on it this morning by rubbing it off with paper towel and there wasn't any residue transfer so figured it was dry enough to take another coat, 2nd coat soaked in pretty quickly so put quite a bit of oil on and left it wet, will check on it later but will likely wait until tomorrow afternoon fornthe 3rd coat. As a side note, my fingers are feeling lovely and soft after working the oil into the wood 😁😳😁

Finally received my tools from the UK a couple of weeks ago, it's a bit of a shambles at the moment and the house I'm in is very much temporary so it's a large mess but I've made a giant outfeed table/workbench and a wood trolley which has temporary clamp storage on it until I get my own shop.

Oh and it's ruddy cold, last weekend it was around -15 outside and this is an uninsulated garage, I think it was around -10 in there at most. Bit warmer this weekend, just -2.

Attachments

• PXL_20211128_165306631.jpg
    PXL_20211128_165306631.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 58
  • PXL_20211128_165312172.jpg
    PXL_20211128_165312172.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20211128_165323381.jpg
    PXL_20211128_165323381.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 74
  • PXL_20211128_165333771.jpg
    PXL_20211128_165333771.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 71
Nice so much more space in the states!

We went to visit our friends in grand rapids and the space they have is immense, double garage no probs, room for a workshop 50x20ft no probs all for the price if a decent detached house in northern England!

So while my little pedestal bowl soaks in its 3rd and final coat of walnut oil I decided to throw on a scrap of spalted silver birch that was cut from a larger piece, I forgot to take before pics as I wasn't confident it wouldn't explode but I'm happy to say it turned beautifully, once sanded up to 400 I put it up to full speed and applied Briwax furniture wax and let a bit of heat build up to melt the wax into the wood. Should make a nice little Xmas present for someone 😁
20211129_175139.jpg
20211129_175146.jpg
20211129_175142.jpg

Back