Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re London Plane (AKA 'Lacewood'), I turned a square edged bowl from a London Plane blank 15cm square x 7,5cm high. ('6" x 3" in 'old money'). You need to keep your fingers well out of the way of the corners as you only see the corners as a 'ghost'. I made another one in Rosewood. Both were presents for my two daughters in law. Then I made another in cherry for my wife. Some pics attached.

I thought they'd make a change from 'round & brown'.

Hope that's of interest. (For the avoidance of doubt, I do turn other things!).

Attachments

• London plane 6inch x 3inch bowl blank.jpg
    London plane 6inch x 3inch bowl blank.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 24
  • London plane bowl1.jpg
    London plane bowl1.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 28
  • London plane bowl2.jpg
    London plane bowl2.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 29
  • London Plane bowl3.jpg
    London Plane bowl3.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 27
  • London plane bowl4.jpg
    London plane bowl4.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Rosewood bowl view1.JPG
    Rosewood bowl view1.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 24
  • rosewood bowl view2.JPG
    rosewood bowl view2.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Cherry bowl top view.jpg
    Cherry bowl top view.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 21
  • Cherry bowl underside.jpg
    Cherry bowl underside.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 20
@Yorkieguy those are beautiful. From the roughing gouge my blanks are very rough and almost abrasive, so much so that it caught the meat of my hand and bit me as I was pulling along the tool rest and dragged a chunk of the loose skin in between the wood and the rest.
1637332223670677528914861734804.jpg

Looks worse than it feels but it certainly woke me up 🤪

Re London Plane (AKA 'Lacewood'), I turned a square edged bowl from a London Plane blank 15cm square x 7,5cm high. ('6" x 3" in 'old money'). You need to keep your fingers well out of the way of the corners as you only see the corners as a 'ghost'. I made another one in Rosewood. Both were presents for my two daughters in law. Then I made another in cherry for my wife. Some pics attached.

I thought they'd make a change from 'round & brown'.

Hope that's of interest. (For the avoidance of doubt, I do turn other things!).
They are fab, they show of the grain of the wood in a really spectacular way. So well finished as well.

@Yorkieguy those are beautiful. From the roughing gouge my blanks are very rough and almost abrasive, so much so that it caught the meat of my hand and bit me as I was pulling along the tool rest and dragged a chunk of the loose skin in between the wood and the rest.
View attachment 122194
Looks worse than it feels but it certainly woke me up 🤪
An artist has to put sweat and blood into the work but its best to not overdo the blood..
I usually get that during the sanding of odd shaped things. It does focus the mind on where those jagged bits are hurtling around.
Regards
John

Currently letting the egg tempera dry and harden, then I need to tidy up the sgraffito a little and do the punchwork between the pastiglia.

You lost me there, but it looks great 👍 with the centre section, did you carve it and then gold leaf?

You lost me there, but it looks great 👍 with the centre section, did you carve it and then gold leaf?

Sorry, I do it on purpose to be an elitist nob. Not really!

It's painted on with 30 coats of gesso (pastiglia), so that it raises up off the flat area. Then it's gilded with 24k gold. The egg tempera (blue) is a very old form of paint made with egg yolk and pigment painted over gold in this case, and the flowers are then scratched into the paint revealing the gold underneath.

It takes a while to go hard and produces a velvety soft matt surface, which is lovely to touch.

I'll post a picture when it's all done and the chap is happy with the result.

Last edited:
The chest for the architect is finished.

The oak frame was wire brushed to give it some character then fumed in a homemade tent with ammonia.

The madrona burr drawer fronts were french polished, knocked back then waxed, The architect liked square socket brass castors so they were the finishing touch.

CC410F83-9218-48D4-B4BD-89532CF73A37_1_201_a.jpeg
47B8DF6B-814E-4867-8048-6CEBF1645CBB.jpeg
tempImage8IljvC.png
1BCC2511-E098-45E8-8993-EE8D58C69237_1_201_a.jpeg
F9EC1047-70B4-45D6-BA26-D1680F441015_1_201_a.jpeg

Oh wow! That is superb! Not often we see such good work here or anywhere else. Bet your client is delighted.
I think I may have missed previous messages, dovetails? Ian

The chest for the architect is finished.

The oak frame was wire brushed to give it some character then fumed in a homemade tent with ammonia.

The madrona burr drawer fronts were french polished, knocked back then waxed, The architect liked square socket brass castors so they were the finishing touch.

View attachment 122320View attachment 122321View attachment 122322View attachment 122323View attachment 122324
Amazing piece of work! A true professional - well done.

Hey your stealing a march on me!!

I'd better get turning!

Got a few blanks if a forumite thanks Hutzl!

Cheers James

Back