Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love it! How hard was the weaving to pickup? Wife wants me to make her something like the ‘hans wegner chair ch25’ for her 40th. Year after next so I’ve a little time to learn new skills.

Can't comment on the Oak bench but I didn't find weaving that difficult to pick up, I made my Mum a small stool (from a kit) lots of years ago, I was about 12/13 at the time & it was done during arts & crafts at Boys Brigade lol, she still has it so about 50 years old now been sat on a lot over the years & still looks OK. The weaving wasn't that difficult but it is time-consuming.

OK so hopefully this time I have sorted the video, this was done almost entirely on the CNC machine, it is actually from a user group meeting that the Company who produce the software I use had earlier this year so not my design but I did make a couple of changes, most important one was using a programmable door chime so I could download & instal a proper ships bell sound.

Attachments

• ship Bell2.mp4
    395.7 KB
Nice little fun project. Scythe for my boy at Halloween. Birch stick from the local forest, draw bored M&T for the blade, from an oak off cut. Left the pegs long as I liked the look, pencil sharpened the ends. String wrap for effect.
A04CF335-A05B-4343-928F-158DA2A84576.jpeg
2A9E5E56-2C5C-4888-AAE7-D501BCD96C72.jpeg
595C2760-878D-466E-B94C-BEB1E8FF9759.jpeg

I just finishen this small oak and cotton string bench:

View attachment 119967

View attachment 119968

super fun project - 20% time spent on wood work and 80% on weaving :)
Remember doing a stool a bit like that in school woodwork. The technical teacher was there for the wood side of it but the art lady took over the weaving of the seat. She was quite the perfectionist so I did a lot of unpicking before it was done.
Anyhow I like your design but I dont think I am up for the weaving.
Regards
John

Suprised, Dynaplan did, plus there was a cut list, csv file .
View attachment 119844
Interesting I've not seen that in the new one. I'll have another look
Thats amazing! I'm hoping mine looks even half as good as that but I'm doubting myself quite a bit!
Just think everything through 15 time before you start. That way when you think of a new problem during it all it only happens a few times, not 20 😂

Just think everything through 15 time before you start. That way when you think of a new problem during it all it only happens a few times, not 20 😂

Thanks. I'm most of the way through my first one and then have 2 more bedroom ones followed by an understaffs one to do so I've plenty of chances to get it right!:ROFLMAO:

Thought I'd have a 2nd go on the lathe with what was a nice piece of spalted silver birch, once rounded off I thought it looked like it wanted to be a goblet of some form, it however had different ideas and wanted to be a jigsaw puzzle.
20211023_113754.jpg

I've recovered all the parts so could put it back together with glue or resin and try again. ( this was totally my fault, I'm struggling to use my bowl gouge without catching on the high point, thinking a swept back going might suit me better.)

Ten years ago a neighbour had to have their ancient yew tree felled but had the foresight to have it sliced into boards and stored, drying nicely, ready to be used someday.
10 years pass and by coincidence I meet the neighbour, strike up a conversation and they tell me all about their tree.
A deal is struck.... They would like me to have the tree but in return would I make them a piece of furniture out of some of the wood so they could always remember their beautiful tree.
The perfect transaction.
The top is in one piece. Rare, I think, to get such a wide, clear board with yew and the colour is incredible, already starting to mellow as I've been working on it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-23 at 16.23.22.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-23 at 16.23.22.png
    646.6 KB · Views: 131
  • F792EEBD-89A7-4CB7-AB2E-FA251FD36D54_1_201_a.jpeg
    F792EEBD-89A7-4CB7-AB2E-FA251FD36D54_1_201_a.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 134
  • ADC2E956-C166-4075-8A53-F345F84FAB1F_1_201_a.jpeg
    ADC2E956-C166-4075-8A53-F345F84FAB1F_1_201_a.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Stunning! But I think we need to be told how you did the design on the lid, and also what is the silver looking line around the edge of the top please. Ian

Thank you. Lid was done with a Veritas Inlay tool and then filled with resin. The silvery inlay is resin mixed with Pearl Powder. Needed the resin to stop the ebonizing bleeding into the walnut inlay and London plane

Rob

Back