Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wanted to use the band saw, pallet wood, burning technique and coloured wood stain, not brill but now finding better ways to gets square edges.

Attachments

• 20210824_211007.mp4
    20.9 MB
Well I didn't really make my Dad's Stanley Bailey No4 (Type 15) but I have just renovated it to working condition - the sole had very deep scratches in it and it wasn't very flat either so I fixed that as well. I'm really happy how it turned out - unfortunately I didn't do photos before I restored it. Duh..

StanleyBaileyNo4#1.pngStanleyBaileyNo4#2.pngStanleyBaileyNo4#3.jpgStanleyBaileyNo4#4.jpg

This was a change from the small scale ornament curiosities that I've been making over the last year.
We recently created a dining room and moved in the accompanying dining table from the kitchen where it had always been a tight squeeze, especially when extended to seat eight. This meant, of course, that we had no table in the kitchen and it is somewhere we like to sit and look out on the garden. Mostly, there are just the two of us at home these days so a table that was comfortable for two and extendable to four would suit well.

View attachment 115961

I eventually decided on an oval drop leaf table (in maple as I still have a fair bit left over from a kitchen project many years ago) and using rule joints for the drop down leaves. The rule joint took a few practice attempts in some scrap 18mm mdf to get them right, well to get it working at least. And even then I miscalculated the width of the centre panel as I forgot to allow for the leaves dropping back under the centre panel by 12mm on each side :oops:. This meant I had to cut the panel in half and insert another narrow strip to widen it which you may be able to make out by the grain variations.

View attachment 115962

The supports for the leaves are bars that pull out from the table frame and are held in place by the table top. Stop blocks on the other end of each bar to the small knob limit the distance the bars can be pulled out.

View attachment 115963

I'll be honest, I prefer the small ornamental work but I'm happy with the result!
Lovely looking table.

made this butlers tray and stand out of a beam removed from the building in the background which I rebuild a few years back, it's a coach house built in the early 1840's, now my workshop.
Made the tray because I panelled a room in reclaimed pine and got told the table don't match it Mahogany, just need the butler now8AVnKRbMRN6tqN7E2YH%iA.jpgzxvC1SavTmy0LYVDWWZJVw.jpg%Esx89YKSGyG5muskLoeDQ.jpgz6dEw7m5TSeQFroM1prbZA.jpg

made this butlers tray and stand out of a beam removed from the building in the background which I rebuild a few years back, it's a coach house built in the early 1840's, now my workshop.
Made the tray because I panelled a room in reclaimed pine and got told the table don't match it Mahogany, just need the butler nowView attachment 117051View attachment 117052View attachment 117053View attachment 117054

Nice. I made one once but got annoyed when people put their feet up on it ! In reality you are not going to carry the top laden with crockery etc as its too heavy. Also any examples I've seen have a veneered centre to prevent wood movement as the folding leaves have to be perfectly aligned. The classic butlers table was more of a tray sitting on crossed legs. Still a great effort, well done.

Repaired the stiles (is that the correct term?) on my front door, facings and frame rotten as heck. Chopped the frame out and replaced with a couple of chunks of oak. Facings are larch. Stainless screws and plugged to try and avoid the corrosion the old one suffered. A whole days work and a coat of undercoat as it was getting dark.
8E8E3079-F1DB-444B-844B-7C8AC54CD5CE.jpeg

B60CBD24-0AA6-4750-9DF0-B8D20721F756.jpeg

Repaired the stiles (is that the correct term?) on my front door, facings and frame rotten as heck. Chopped the frame out and replaced with a couple of chunks of oak. Facings are larch. Stainless screws and plugged to try and avoid the corrosion the old one suffered. A whole days work and a coat of undercoat as it was getting dark.
View attachment 117148
View attachment 117147

That looks like a great job.

First effort at a mallet… I now possess a mallet which is good as I have hitting things stuff to do 👍 not finished yet but getting there 🔨
Nice one, I made one about a year ago and it makes me smile each time I use it. It’s a great little project.

Knocked out this tool box more of a start of apprentice level construction rather than end of apprenticeship quality! I was fed up when I cut the dovetails (dnf a ultra race!). But it will do the job!

24"x16" to fit the space inside my mobile workbench.

Attachments

• IMG-20210906-WA0005.jpeg
    IMG-20210906-WA0005.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 92
Back