Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have been cleaning up the small Pine coffee table for someone, they have asked me to
insert tiles into the table top.
After all the sanding I did to make the top flat & dent free..lol
Any way have not done this before, has anyone got any ideas of
what type of glue I should use. I think grout is out of the question. also
what about table movement will it affect the tiles.?
You can see what state the table was in by the rail, had to put the legs on the
lathe clean them up.

Is it me or is it to busy with all them tiles in the top.

Attachments

• this.jpg
    this.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 70
  • WP_20210809_13_07_52_Pro.jpg
    WP_20210809_13_07_52_Pro.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 68
Flexible tile adhesive/no more nails, you will probably need to grout in some form between the tiles or the gaps will fill with rubbish or coffee whichever comes first, a bright grout like a red would set off those tiles nicely. Not my cup of tea look wise but if its what the customer wants then go with it.Are you going to inset them into the top ?.

I bedded some marble pieces in an oak table once, cut them in nice & tight, they had sharp square edges unlike those with a round edge. Used a clear construction adhesive like EB25 or sticks like s..t. Didnt have gaps to worry about, the polyurethane finish filled what gaps there were.

Which skips do you dive in??

Lovely!

Cheers James
Legs were 80 year old door liners stripped of paint cut up to rebate and laminated gave me 3 1/2 square Legs rails were timber I already had main slab was an 8 x 3 roof joist from someone's attic who were having dormer again stripped of paint and laminated gave me a 14 x 2 3/4 aprons found some 8 x 1 1/2 reclaimed timber on facebook marketplace local at £4 a board well got some 3x2 of same guy at £2 a length entire build about £40 with glue I used obviously lots of hours hand planing and making but I learnt a lot making and my joints improved as I went along.these ar the bits left from my starting materials

Attachments

• 20210810_202938.jpg
    20210810_202938.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Legs were 80 year old door liners stripped of paint cut up to rebate and laminated gave me 3 1/2 square Legs rails were timber I already had main slab was an 8 x 3 roof joist from someone's attic who were having dormer again stripped of paint and laminated gave me a 14 x 2 3/4 aprons found some 8 x 1 1/2 reclaimed timber on facebook marketplace local at £4 a board well got some 3x2 of same guy at £2 a length entire build about £40 with glue I used obviously lots of hours hand planing and making but I learnt a lot making and my joints improved as I went along.these ar the bits left from my starting materials
Good finds!!!

Cheers James

What was supposed to be a fairly straightforward dog shaped bandsaw box turned into me taking a very therapeutic dive into attempting my first ever proper carving. It’s a money box for my mates first baby. I’ve sunk 50+ hours into this, so it’s a bloody good thing I started over a month before the due date!! :D

It’s made of Welsh Cherry, with a Bloodwood tongue and African Blackwood eyes & nose. The mortise lock mechanism is from the following link, very good quality so wont hesitate to get others of the same brand - but I made the receiver bit from a flat plate of brass.
https://locksandhardwaredirect.co.uk/product/d14-1-lever-cut-cupboard-lock/
The tail is waggable, and the key also has a secret hiding place ;)

Apart from sanding the inside shape of the body, not a single piece of sandpaper has touched the main body… I just love the gouged textured surface! Apart from the overall roughed out shape the main body, legs and tail are all carved by hand using a combination of fret saw, Shinto saw rasp and a variety of carving chisels/gouges (which I finally found an excuse to use them for more than just cutting out letters for inlaying)

View attachment 115148

View attachment 115137

View attachment 115138

View attachment 115131

View attachment 115139

View attachment 115136

View attachment 115133

View attachment 115134

View attachment 115135

View attachment 115132

For those who are interested, I’ve just posted a bunch of photos and explained the process of making this dog money box…

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/thread...herry-african-blackwood-and-bloodwood.132391/

Not so much photo's of the last thing I made...more a reflection on the passing of time and an observation. I used to be able to knock up stuff like this part-time in my little workshop, but age creeps up on us all, so I jacked it in not longer after I retired from full time shift work, gave away most of my tools 'n stuff to people who could use 'em and settled into a nice easy life. Cutting our big hedge yesterday I chopped straight through a bird's nest...unoccupied thankfully, but I cut it in half. 2 bits, still solid, and it got me thinking....how the heck do these birds manage to build something like that?? I've got all the time in the world, opposing thumbs and 4 fingers etc. but if you sat me down in front of a hedge and said "Go on, make one of those...use whatever tools you like" I wouldn't come anywhere close.

Attachments

• paul2 (1).jpg
    paul2 (1).jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 48
  • paul2 (2).jpg
    paul2 (2).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 49
  • paul4 (1).jpg
    paul4 (1).jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 51
  • paul4 (2).jpg
    paul4 (2).jpg
    81 KB · Views: 50
James
Have you any photos or plans of the planters made by your friend ?
Thanks - John

Paul55,
seen these in real life......there are many different species that make even more complicated nests...
"All hanging by a thread"......hahaha....
images-16.jpeg

even a humming birds nest is special...
I just love it......
that's apart from the mouse nest in my electrical spares drawer.....hahaha...

Canada?!! Envious, the land of nice wood, plentiful & not extorsionately priced!
Nice work, good luck with your move.
Not quite true if you read about the timber shortage and price increases. Canada has reduced the amount of trees planted to keep up with demand.

Yes i have; 2" x 4" has gone up in price 50% over the last year. Comparatively tho, maple, black walnut to name but two are far cheaper!

Latest posts

Back