Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crossbow, yew/sinew 75lb prod, hawthorn tiller inlaid with bone, antler and water buffalo horn. Have posted a thread about it in 'projects '

Attachments

• 20210731_104903.jpg
    20210731_104903.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 20210731_102900.jpg
    20210731_102900.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 41
What was supposed to be a fairly straightforward dog shaped bandsaw box turned into me taking a very therapeutic dive into attempting my first ever proper carving. It’s a money box for my mates first baby. I’ve sunk 50+ hours into this, so it’s a bloody good thing I started over a month before the due date!! :D

It’s made of Welsh Cherry, with a Bloodwood tongue and African Blackwood eyes & nose. The mortise lock mechanism is from the following link, very good quality so wont hesitate to get others of the same brand - but I made the receiver bit from a flat plate of brass.
https://locksandhardwaredirect.co.uk/product/d14-1-lever-cut-cupboard-lock/
The tail is waggable, and the key also has a secret hiding place ;)

Apart from sanding the inside shape of the body, not a single piece of sandpaper has touched the main body… I just love the gouged textured surface! Apart from the overall roughed out shape the main body, legs and tail are all carved by hand using a combination of fret saw, Shinto saw rasp and a variety of carving chisels/gouges (which I finally found an excuse to use them for more than just cutting out letters for inlaying)

34CA3FCB-68FD-4BEA-9287-C3A8C77F13EE.jpeg

0317B8F2-7F29-4C3B-B17F-C183EB5B035F.jpeg

5D7975D7-F3EE-4A9B-B90E-9B378888C382.jpeg

C362F731-A117-42D2-A78B-7D68512294AB.jpeg

363B76C2-F42F-4B47-8C77-A029D371147F.jpeg

FB4050D2-DBFA-4669-AC26-8641EDFF2567.jpeg

F2395A0C-13DA-4401-BD4A-55AE8C977076.jpeg

C8989600-45F0-4359-A315-CC8D84D521A6.jpeg

BDEB68BD-83D6-4846-B62F-9B3AE448A4B4.jpeg

7383D3EC-43A0-4FCE-B02F-1E4267A060D6.jpeg

What was supposed to be a fairly straightforward dog shaped bandsaw box turned into me taking a very therapeutic dive into attempting my first ever proper carving. It’s a money box for my mates first baby. I’ve sunk 50+ hours into this, so it’s a bloody good thing I started over a month before the due date!! :D

It’s made of Welsh Cherry, with a Bloodwood tongue and African Blackwood eyes & nose. The mortise lock mechanism is from the following link, very good quality so wont hesitate to get others of the same brand - but I made the receiver bit from a flat plate of brass.

Apart from sanding the inside shape of the body, not a single piece of sandpaper has touched the main body… I just love the gouged textured surface! Apart from the overall roughed out shape the main body, legs and tail are all carved by hand using a combination of fret saw, Shinto saw rasp and a variety of carving chisels/gouges (which I finally found an excuse to use them for more than just cutting out letters for inlaying)

View attachment 115148

View attachment 115137

View attachment 115138

View attachment 115131

View attachment 115139

View attachment 115136

View attachment 115133

View attachment 115134

View attachment 115135

View attachment 115132
You see so many great things made on this forum but that dog is up there with the best of them. Very original design features and the key location is a real winner. Cheered up this locked down day for me.
Regards
John

View attachment 115148

View attachment 115137

View attachment 115138

View attachment 115131

View attachment 115139

View attachment 115136

View attachment 115133

View attachment 115134

View attachment 115135

View attachment 115132
Really like this, and as you say no sandpaper, most people would’ve ruined it, I’m sure the child will treasure it for years and years. Ian

Sorry to bombard with the same set of chisels - finally finished them yesterday. Not that there's that much difference between them and others that I've made (except the big bolsters to be handled in an older style without a metal ferrule).

But making 8 of them freehand and trying to get them to be relatively the same and somewhat close to 1/8th intervals....it's a relief to be done!
CTxtEgO.jpeg
jKTgFyZ.jpeg
uQjJiJ1.jpeg

They are beautiful chisels ( Doug?) Can’t wait to see them with the handles on – turned please I’ll send you the address ha ha
What is the width of the largest one by the way?

They are beautiful chisels ( Doug?) Can’t wait to see them with the handles on – turned please I’ll send you the address ha ha
What is the width of the largest one by the way?

They're 1/8th to 1" in 1/8th intervals (roughly, depending on the laziness of the maker). I always make them a tiny bit wide, except the narrowest chisel, to allow for a little warping and regrind or removal of little dents.

I made them for a plane maker here in North America, and he wants to handle them himself (which I'm perfectly fine with, of course - I'm not a professional maker and pretty much charge the cost of materials in the chisels and consumed items to make them. It'd be hard to justify continuing to make them if I didn't at least recover the materials costs - which for a set like this is something like $100 because of the specialty steel used, and because I do a lot of belt grinding, finishing and filing - industrially now, they'd be squashed closer to finished shape in a couple of dies).

If I had access to third world drill rod (I'd bet the 1% crV drill rod sold in china is still good even though it's cheap), I could make chisels really cheaply. Even silver steel rod from the UK would be lots cheaper.

(I do like to make the more modern turned handle with ferrule, though - it allows for a smaller bolster, which is easier to keep straight and flat when forge welding, and then if the weld ever gives up, the ferrule holds everything together).

Beautifull! Love to see them with the handles on👍

me, too! They're going to a planemaker named Darryl Gent. If he posts them, we'll get to see them. I hope he does, because he does just about the neatest and cleanest work you'll ever see. He'll have his hands full matching handles tightly to the bolsters on these chisels as some of them have a little left or right english. Not a lot, but enough that the handles can't just be cut off square to get a completely gap free look.

I have to second the comments above - after relief of finishing the set of chisels, logging in and seeing the dog above is just super. There's so much good work posted here by everyone and in such good spirit, but the dog is like hearing a new guitar riff that you've never heard before. It's just grand!

Last edited:
Probably not the last thing I made, but something that keeps coming back to be re-made. Used to have a little sideline making stuff like this. This particular one got passed around and every new owner wanted a new knot fitting, it’s had black badger, two band badger and a synthetic knot or two fitted over the years.
41D23151-6DDD-4472-9F81-7E113EAC665F.jpeg

Back