Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Humm. That is certainly a good way to get stability, but not the only one.
What I have is a bench that is a knockdown one but on steroids, the 2 end pieces have joints that will never work or move the glue surface is just too big (double M/T that are 10cm x 10cm each so 800sq cm per end) then the long rails are attached with 30cm coach bolts and the top held down with wall plate J bolts. The whole thing is probably over 100kg with storage underneath the top, it’s also on wheels so that reduces the racking forces.

Steroids, indeed! But your photo looks to show just the sort of panels I'm talking about, both down the long side (with French cleats attached) and the end (complete with nifty paper towel holders)
(For me, the thought of a bench that size, taking off across the floor like Torville and Dean doesn't appeal though.)

Made another chopping board as a gift for family. Nice and thick this one. Made from walnut, cherry and maple.
A9873837-D4FA-4DB1-A3F9-7D72A637539D.jpeg
91B9E04A-5D65-46D3-87A4-6166800C6112.jpeg

My Dad (rest his soul) had a single word for work benches. Triangulation. However good your joinery skills (and especially if they aren't!) , the joints on a bench will work and move a bit - and lo! You have a wobbly bench ...

Mine has no apron and the heavy top is supported only at the ends. Mine is stable because 1/ the rails are 5 inches deep (morticed, glued and pegged) and 2/ they are deliberately at different heights from front to back so it can't rack. The shelf in the bottom is fixed from the top of the front rail to a quadrant near the bottom on the rear rail.

Bench on a bench!

I’m a bit embarrassed to post this but would appreciate any further suggestions.

I have the woodworking skill set of a schoolboy at best and have recently started trying to make things in wood 🤪

So I want to make a workbench, and knowing the limit of my abilities I decided today to make up a small sized model of the sort of bench that I’d like. Using a few roofing battens I’ve made the bench pictured. I wanted to keep it simple, but able to allow me to plane and generally use hand tools to make some toys etc for the grandkids.
https://www.rutlands.com/sp+workhol...ource=Rutlands Ltd&dm_i=6YCG,QZF,6BR7Z,29AI,1

It gives me no pleasure having to use pine/redwood.
The tasks involved to make stuff isnt the problem but finishing is a pain.
I find it disturbing that people want this sort of stuff instead of a nice piece of oak or mahogany.
This bookcase isnt finished yet.
Already its had two coats of wood dye, several coats of danish oil and now requires some poly to toughen the surface.
The problems with staining pine, despite what anyone says are as long as my arm. You can watch YT till your blue in the face but the twelve inch squares they show you how to do it on are no reflection of a real build.
Anyway thats my grumble.
Its not for me. The guy loves it so thats all that matters.

I think you ought to change your name, that’s not amateurish at all!
I know what you mean about pine, it does have its place though – usually underneath paint. That wasn’t said entirely seriously I enjoyed working with it when it’s a decent piece of wood.

finished this yesterday from next doors Cherry Laurel, now on to four full sized pine panelled doors, retirement what retirement.

Attachments

• USKT0SudTgO7xfOcDhw5PQ.jpg
    USKT0SudTgO7xfOcDhw5PQ.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 42
  • QlICoCuTSMq+mqR+cex8lA.jpg
    QlICoCuTSMq+mqR+cex8lA.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 48
  • RIG0c9pySkSzV0YqM10z8w.jpg
    RIG0c9pySkSzV0YqM10z8w.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Built this booze unit for my nephew and his wife to their spec. Birch ply carcase, oak veneered back and bar top, and beech and mdf doors.
Nice. Is that it's final place? as that radiator behind will probably do nasty things to the wood

Back