Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a couple of the puzzles I made for my daughter's wedding reception. The Cryptex is obviously based on the one in Dan Brown's 'Da Vinci Code'. The clue at the end reads 'The lady is for turning'. Solve that, dial it in and a tube containing a £20 note slides out. The other is a simple box, about 10x8x8cms, in the face of which is a slot that just takes a £1 coin. The coin inside can only be removed by cunning manipulation of the interior tilting shelf.
Kept the guests busy for hours!
Did you follow plans for the box?

Couple of hobby horses knocked up for the grandkids and on my way to drop them off!😀

Attachments

• 747712E4-DD97-4EA7-BB15-D7D54C6BF9C7.jpeg
    747712E4-DD97-4EA7-BB15-D7D54C6BF9C7.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 16
@gregmcateer quick but also challenging you need to be careful and there was one big hole I filled with CA & cork dust/shavings, the others I left so you can just see the tube in places.
Then sand carefully and sealed a few extra coats...

Padster

Where did you get that @Droogs ?

Being a hat wearer myself I have to say I really like it
My fantastic better half purchased it as a birthday pressie when we were on holiday in the Dordogne a few years back. Can't remember which village exactly but do remember you got into it after walking along a hiltop path and then up a very long steep straight street. It was around £70, which we both thought was a great price for such an unusual hat, especially as I have a couple of other Fedoras that cost at least twice that.
It has become my favourite hat and is great in both hot and cold weather keeping me both warm and cool and nicely shaded. Besides it looks epically cool as well and as a woodworker, what else can you wear but a hat made from a tree.

I had plans for this week, but my wife demanded a picnic table, and it was an opportunity to try out my new (to me) table saw. This is 100% recycled wood, from our neighbour’s house extension.

71llfeM.jpg
Very neatly done, great bit of reuse.

Nice work! Have you ever tried the Be all Pen Wizard?
Jim
Thanks and I can safely say hadn't heard of it - but google is my friend... not sure I'd spend the money on something like that.

Be interested in folks view - I'm only 8 pens into my pen turning!

Padster

I've been making a bunch of chisels, but these aren't some of them.

You often see people say something like "these chisels are decent, but they'd be better with different handles and no lands".

So, I got a $10 set of imported chisels at the local junk chain here (harbor freight) and they turned out to be decent chisels, and actually usable as they arrive. They aren't LV or LN straight, but straight enough.

I reground them (chasing the side lands down so they could be used for fine work) and replaced their original tiny beech handles with stamped metal parts.

They are not as hard as super premium chisels, but harder than the typical stanley 5000 or marples blue chip type chisels and they actually hold up just fine once you figure out where the edge likes to be set. They also sharpen super easy and release their wire edge like magic - nothing at all obnoxious about them (they are also better edge holding than new sorby fodder, FWIW, but I think sorby makes their new chisels soft to meet some kind of industrial spec - there's no other reason I could think of that their chisels are so soft.

As often as I've seen people say "they'd be fine if they were reground and rehandled", I don't think I've seen anyone actually do it. So there! The something for nothing gimmick made complete.

Unac3Nd.jpg

Latest posts

Back