Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've made a few trestles over the years but inspired by Robin Clevett I decided I needed another
It's for this lathe, which I bunged in quickly when I first got it, on a bit of fire door off-cut and some metal work I already had. The height was right but everything else was wrong - not enough space under the bars, too enclosed with shavings piling up, difficult to get round the back etc etc

IMG_3922.JPG

Bit of old joist 7ft long

IMG_3924.JPG

Trimming for height

IMG_3927.JPG

Trying the blocks for level. More bits of the same joist

IMG_3930.JPG

IMG_3933.JPG

12" sanding disc and motor set up. 4 pulleys but very easy to change with wedge and locking handle
IMG_3935.JPG

Getting my hand in with some offcuts
IMG_3951.JPG

Loads of space around it - shavings fall away easy to sweep up - the whole thing easy to move around - plenty of space under the bars - 6ft between centres - quiet and very stable. Pleased with it so far!

Last edited:
Was messing about with some scrap bits of birch ply, and thought id have a go at a box. I edged piece of ply with mahogany first, then glued up to form the box, then did the same with panels for the lid and the base.

Turned out better than expected, so lined it with some pig suede and will make a nice present

IMG_0232.jpeg

IMG_0235.jpeg

Was messing about with some scrap bits of birch ply, and thought id have a go at a box. I edged piece of ply with mahogany first, then glued up to form the box, then did the same with panels for the lid and the base.

Turned out better than expected, so lined it with some pig suede and will make a nice present

View attachment 113391

View attachment 113392
That’s lovely. What’s pig suede? Never heard of that phrase before.

thank you :) you'd think I know what im talking about here, but I carefully followed a post by custard on the forums, and the recommendation is to use pig suede for lining boxes - then on the search for pig suede, there are lots of others - some thicker, some thinner so needed to make sure I got the right one

A couple more carvings following on from the Old Timer I posted (1) Woodcarving Projects | UKworkshop.co.uk
A frog in walnut burr and a "critter" in lime. That started as a bear but I decided I wanted to carve a badger but got lost in the middle somewhere and it turned out more like a rodent so I gave up, the missus likes it but she has no taste. :ROFLMAO:

frog 1.jpg
frog 2.jpg
frog 3.jpg
frog 4.jpg
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

Got this thing going using all my scraps of timber so have been making cutting boards
16254376022782516796020794792757.jpg
all with rubber feet, finished with foodsafe oil/beeswax. 3D one from Oak, Mahoganny & Cherry, Yew lipping.
20210311_173132.jpg
an end grain one with maple insert lines,oak, iroko, maple
IMG-20210507-WA0001.jpeg
so along the same lines made a box for the wife (yet to be lined)

16254380177191924128859373428917.jpg
16254381409091310598463259635682.jpg

As with the boards the lid is cherry, oak chestnut, mahoganny. The box is cherry.
20210106_212006.jpg
adjustable phone stand same principle, great for hands free skype calls.

View attachment 113391

View attachment 113392
Really like the look of that. What did you do at the corner joints? Is it a glued butt join or is there something else in there that I can't see? Good work.

Really like the look of that. What did you do at the corner joints? Is it a glued butt join or is there something else in there that I can't see? Good work.
Thanks :), just butt joints im afraid. I drew it in sketchup first to make sure it would work, and its put together like this...

Glued edging on the 2 side panels (made these wider than needed so I could trim the assembly to size on the tablesaw)
Glued edging on the lid/ base panels in 2 stages (did the end of the lid/base first, and like the side panel cut them all to exact size after)

To glue up the box, I clamped together the 4 sides got them square etc and left to dry,
Once dry, then glued on the lid and base.

Once all done, chopped the lid off at the table saw, and small chamfer with the router,

Ply and Mahog box.jpg

Hi Dr Al, nice, I like that a lot, what surface is on the disks please? Did you buy them like that?

The discs are coated in diamonds. You can get them very cheaply in 100 mm or 150 mm diameter (I use the larger size) and grits from 80 to 3000. I mostly use the 240 one so far for reshaping and then put a secondary bevel on with a waterstone.

The discs cost me about £5 each; I've since seen them cheaper than that (although I didn't check postage). The two holes for drive dogs were drilled by me: the backing material is mild steel so very easy to drill.

A couple more carvings following on from the Old Timer I posted (1) Woodcarving Projects | UKworkshop.co.uk
A frog in walnut burr and a "critter" in lime. That started as a bear but I decided I wanted to carve a badger but got lost in the middle somewhere and it turned out more like a rodent so I gave up, the missus likes it but she has no taste. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 113426View attachment 113425View attachment 113424View attachment 113423View attachment 113431View attachment 113430View attachment 113429View attachment 113427
I really like the badger.

Back