Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting turn of phrase!
Looks like the main piece of work is in those rather splendid legs - I might have said, "All from Euro oak, apart from the top which is English oak"!
But a nice table, nevertheless.

Ah by legs I meant literally the 4 legs that came from 2” Euro oak, the cross rails and slats were as with the top English oak 😅
Thanks for the kind words!

i
Excellent job, I want to make one. How much ply did you use and where did you get it from?
I used one 8 x 4 sheet of the best quality birch ply from a local timber suppliers. ( Stoke on Trent timber co ltd) £39.
If you look on YouTube for Hooked on Wood.
he has a web site with a freedownload of the pattern. I don’t have a CNC so I transferred the measurements on some spare 12mm ply and made a pattern to cut out and route the 5 layers it takes to make it.
there’s also measurements and patterns for a larger one for 4 year olds.

Attachments

• 082C5DB6-3F58-4630-8FA6-20B703906A2B.jpeg
    082C5DB6-3F58-4630-8FA6-20B703906A2B.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 8B0586B7-B0FE-4654-B034-6079FE637180.jpeg
    8B0586B7-B0FE-4654-B034-6079FE637180.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
So a colleague is retiring at the end of the school year in a few weeks, most of the staff are doing the usual collection to buy flowers and a gift etc which is fine for them but as I like this person I wanted to gift her something that will have some meaning for her, when I started as school site manager here 3.5 years ago one of my first acts was unfortunately to have a silver birch removed as it was infected with a fungus, I kept a few pieces from it in the boiler room, I'd almost forgotten about them until I knocked one over last week and noticed some nice spalding showing through the end so I cut a piece off with the idea of making a nice plant pot so my colleague will always have a piece of the school she has spent almost 40 years of her life at. I roved the bark and used a drill to remove the bulk of the material and set to with my chisels (unfortunately a cheap and nasty set that needs resharpening after just showing it the wood) after removing all the inner material I rounded the top edge to show the rings a little, this morning I got it all sanded and cleaned up, used some fibreglass resin to waterproof the inside and gave it 2 coats of teak oil, once it dries in a few days I'll probably give it a coat of briwax for extra protection before I plant it up ready for the retirement party.
IMG-20210619-WA0000.jpeg

IMG-20210619-WA0002.jpeg

IMG-20210619-WA0004.jpeg

IMG-20210619-WA0006.jpeg

So a colleague is retiring at the end of the school year in a few weeks, most of the staff are doing the usual collection to buy flowers and a gift etc which is fine for them but as I like this person I wanted to gift her something that will have some meaning for her, when I started as school site manager here 3.5 years ago one of my first acts was unfortunately to have a silver birch removed as it was infected with a fungus, I kept a few pieces from it in the boiler room, I'd almost forgotten about them until I knocked one over last week and noticed some nice spalding showing through the end so I cut a piece off with the idea of making a nice plant pot so my colleague will always have a piece of the school she has spent almost 40 years of her life at. I roved the bark and used a drill to remove the bulk of the material and set to with my chisels (unfortunately a cheap and nasty set that needs resharpening after just showing it the wood) after removing all the inner material I rounded the top edge to show the rings a little, this morning I got it all sanded and cleaned up, used some fibreglass resin to waterproof the inside and gave it 2 coats of teak oil, once it dries in a few days I'll probably give it a coat of briwax for extra protection before I plant it up ready for the retirement party.
View attachment 112517
View attachment 112518
View attachment 112519
View attachment 112520
I think she will love it.

Some alcove cupboards and panelling I did a week or two ago, the customer has just sent me over this photo of them painted, I think they worked out quite well.

This job was a bit different because apart from planing up and gluing together some Tulipwood for the shelves this was all made on site in the room it's in. I did it as a bit of an experiment really, I basically just turned up in my van with a few sheets of MDF and got busy with the tracksaw and Domino to see how it would be if I didn't have a workshop, turns out not much different if you are just doing MDF built ins!

IMG_41851001.jpg

Some alcove cupboards and panelling I did a week or two ago, the customer has just sent me over this photo of them painted, I think they worked out quite well.

This job was a bit different because apart from planing up and gluing together some Tulipwood for the shelves this was all made on site in the room it's in. I did it as a bit of an experiment really, I basically just turned up in my van with a few sheets of MDF and got busy with the tracksaw and Domino to see how it would be if I didn't have a workshop, turns out not much different if you are just doing MDF built ins!

View attachment 112636
Also helps the customer understand the price as if you simply turn up with something made in the workshop & fit it in a day they have no idea how much work has actually gone into making it, seeing you make it on site gives them a much better idea of what’s involve.

View attachment 112636

I love how that looks and I'm looking for something very similar, what areas do you cover?

My siblings and i have bought a really nice Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic watch (not this one!) for my dad’s 60th birthday, so i’ve made this watch stand to go with the watch we got him.

Fiddleback maple base with chunks of stainless steel in the base to weigh it down and keep it stable. The stainless rod is thereaded into the base stainless and there’s also a chunk of stainless in the top, which is sandwiched by mdf. The mdf is wrapped in EVA foam, which is then covered with suede leather. If i get a chance some time i’ll put a bunch of photos in a post in the projects section of the forum.

7F5FFA2C-187B-4664-A6B3-9D841A5ED9CA.jpeg

0EA3C42E-891B-440C-918C-54EB7E1AB420.jpeg

0986A613-E546-4290-9853-AF720AED9DD6.jpeg

A250D6AD-A189-4E10-9826-5C102809680A.jpeg

7DE88617-BCD2-41C0-97D5-4F38460075D2.jpeg

FB9A72CA-4601-4977-A01D-171A3D0FA3CB.jpeg

5D71302E-C58C-4A96-938A-3C2177D1A8B7.jpeg

A BIG chunky pestle and mortar requested buy a fellow forumer who doesn't spin wood.

Mortar internal 4.5" by 4.5"
Pestle 8.5" by about 2.5" tapering to 2"
Beech, unfinished for him to choose his own oil. It was VERY hard and took a good long time to hollow using a crown revolution, which was my first go with it. Filled a few cracks with sanding dust and CA.

Attachments

• 20210622_223351.jpg
    20210622_223351.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210622_223503.jpg
    20210622_223503.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 7
I love how that looks and I'm looking for something very similar, what areas do you cover?

I'm in East Yorkshire and kept busy by local customers so afraid I don't travel far, just 10 miles away would be a long distance job for me 😂

Built in MDF furniture isn't that difficult these days with track saws etc, I'm sure you will find loads of people who can do it.

I'm in East Yorkshire and kept busy by local customers so afraid I don't travel far, just 10 miles away would be a long distance job for me 😂

Built in MDF furniture isn't that difficult these days with track saws etc, I'm sure you will find loads of people who can do it.
10 miles, wow looks like business is going well. Thanks for getting back know me.

Latest posts

Back