Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rocking horse for my 2 year old granddaughter.
5 layers of 18mm beech ply glued together.
pattern was a free download from YouTube “Hooked on wood” website.

Attachments

• A3D9C21D-A670-4854-8BA3-F5236F33D8BC.jpeg
    A3D9C21D-A670-4854-8BA3-F5236F33D8BC.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 6940AADE-E0BD-4454-9A98-1619D7605F7D.jpeg
    6940AADE-E0BD-4454-9A98-1619D7605F7D.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 106
Im a new member, 1st post. I found a rotting wooden bench - ornate iron ends. For years I lugged around from house to house similar iron bench ends. Never doing anything with them, I decided to renovate this bench. My ancient saw bench created slats from some left over oak TG floor boards. My mentor, Dan 2. ran the slats thro his thicknesser. Some black nuts and bolts from Bricomarche and an acceptable garden bench.

Attachments

• 1EEE2622-BC41-4674-B241-BEA45FC156AB_1_105_c.jpeg
    1EEE2622-BC41-4674-B241-BEA45FC156AB_1_105_c.jpeg
    425.7 KB · Views: 80
Im a new member, 1st post. I found a rotting wooden bench - ornate iron ends. For years I lugged around from house to house similar iron bench ends. Never doing anything with them, I decided to renovate this bench. My ancient saw bench created slats from some left over oak TG floor boards. My mentor, Dan 2. ran the slats thro his thicknesser. Some black nuts and bolts from Bricomarche and an acceptable garden bench.
I have two of those exact same benches. One's complete and the other is just metalwork.

Only really picked up wood working in January and been messing around with various projects, restoring some old tools planes and saws and the like.

Been sticking to pine and softwood for a bit but decided to start on the hard stuff having gained a bit more confidence.

So this is my first project in hardwood using black walnut and oak.

All the wood was from some rough sawn boards so it's 95% by hand. Used the drill for some of the fittings and I used an orbital sander.

Present for my soon to be mother in law. Got some lid stays coming that is the last touch before hand over.

IMG_20210614_171312.jpg
IMG_20210614_171326.jpg
IMG_20210614_171342.jpg

Rocking horse for my 2 year old granddaughter.
5 layers of 18mm beech ply glued together.
pattern was a free download from YouTube “Hooked on wood” website.
Excellent job, I want to make one. How much ply did you use and where did you get it from?

Last edited:
Thought I’d share this arts and crafts inspired table made last week by one of my 2 day class students. All from English oak apart from the legs which are Euro oak, finished with Osmo satin hardwax oil.

Attachments

• 47C3A0E8-34B0-4A48-BF45-11FB3653EE60.jpeg
    47C3A0E8-34B0-4A48-BF45-11FB3653EE60.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 130AA809-2F3C-4BE6-84B3-C73916B27433.jpeg
    130AA809-2F3C-4BE6-84B3-C73916B27433.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 96
Only really picked up wood working in January and been messing around with various projects, restoring some old tools planes and saws and the like.

Been sticking to pine and softwood for a bit but decided to start on the hard stuff having gained a bit more confidence.

So this is my first project in hardwood using black walnut and oak.

All the wood was from some rough sawn boards so it's 95% by hand. Used the drill for some of the fittings and I used an orbital sander.

Present for my soon to be mother in law. Got some lid stays coming that is the last touch before hand over.

View attachment 112346View attachment 112345View attachment 112347
Love it, really nice looking - what have you chosen for lid stays? I have just done a box with std hinges and am looking for something similar.

Last year I glued together all the scraps and ends I had of hardwood, planed them down into something resembling a panel, and left them on the shelf, didn't know what I was going to do with them at the time, but this week decided on a box.

Its 300 x 200 x 150 high, lined with suede - cheep hinges (will go for some better next time) and mahogany splines

Wasn't without its problems, once I cut the lid from the box, the lid became very fragile, so had to glue in an oak lining to support it - no idea how this will work over time - lid is floating in a groove, and base is solid birch ply

IMG_5268.jpeg

IMG_5269.jpeg

IMG_5272.jpeg

IMG_5273.jpeg

Last edited:
Love it, really nice looking - what have you chosen for lid stays? I have just done a box with std hinges and am looking for something similar.

Was a bit limited as tbh I make things up as I go and they end up how they end up being one offs, so the stays have ended up using were these Solid Brass small Box lid stay (pairs) and placed on the outside as the inside as the lid and box don't align. In giving it a go it worked out I think, unusual but avoids interfering with anything in the box.

I'd considered using some leather as a check strap which can look nice too providing it doesn't stretch too much.

Last year I glued together all the scraps and ends I had of hardwood, planed them down into something resembling a panel, and left them on the shelf, didn't know what I was going to do with them at the time, but this week decided on a box.
Hi, I like the box and am impressed by the quality. I presume that the preparation of the slab involved machine planing but I can't decide about the construction. Either using hand tools or machines its quite a feat, well done.
Martin

Hi, thank you, initially I didn’t have a thicknesser so flattened the slab with a router in a sled. When I came to use it, I needed to get it down to 12mm, and I now have a thicknesser, so used that to get it down to final thickness. The lid was put together from thinner off cuts at the time I made the box, 6mm in thickness.

for construction, it was power tools all the way, I’m terrible with hand tools, can just about use a chisel for the hinges if I use a router first to get me started

Back with some more chairs.
better than the last ones I made. Used pocket holes to screw things together, just need to plug ,sand and paint them.
This was my first attempt at an angled back. Really need to improve my bandsaw skills. My straight lines are shocking 😂
With pocket holes I was going to do it with the holes hidden at the back but when I was putting the 1”x3” onto the 2”x2” I would be screwing toward the edge of the wood rather than into the fat of the wood.
So flipped it. Not sure if this was right or wrong.
86F6E07A-7146-4806-AECE-6CDCAF3F5126.jpeg
8AEA785D-4501-4F94-965E-767FE852B11B.jpeg

nice job, could you use wooden dowel, or I have seen special 'plugs' to put in the pocket holes - could even get them in a contracting colour to make a feature of them?

How about a very gentle curve/arc on the back rest, doesn't need to be much, but something to differentiate the seat from the back maybe?

nice job, could you use wooden dowel, or I have seen special 'plugs' to put in the pocket holes - could even get them in a contracting colour to make a feature of them?

How about a very gentle curve/arc on the back rest, doesn't need to be much, but something to differentiate the seat from the back maybe?
Oh I like the idea of a contrasting colour. I’ve got the plug cutter and a pile of teak wood that my wife was going to throw out.
Will see if I can get some from that.
Cheers

I remember last year buying some walnut from a guy that was given it to burn - he realised it had a bit of value so sold it on, was still cheep though

Throwing any wood away is sacrilege, but a 'pile of teak' leaves me with so many unanswered questions!
We had some well used garden furniture that had seen better days. Wife wanted to chuck it all after the table gave way.
I managed to reclaim the legs and a few slats. Got a chair that I’ve just dismantled to put back together with new dowels and some strong glue/resin. Going to get another few years from it.

Back