Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1622552776198.png

Left and right double barley twist candle sticks, at last I've managed to get a pair reasonably similar!! Photographed in the garden as its such a nice day!!
Made from rescued Bay log from a tree surgeon working in a nearby street. I left the log and it developed a handy radial split, which released all the tension as it dried and made it easy to split.

Evening, latest commission for Mrs Starlingwood. Shoe rack made out of ash, half lap joints and through tenons finished in Osmo polyx. Fiddly little job but pleased with final result considering, some of the joints could be tighter. Nice to be making stuff now my workbench is built.
20210601_195818.jpg

20210601_195832.jpg

20210601_195904.jpg

20210601_195915.jpg

20210601_195843.jpg

20210601_195838.jpg

Last edited:
I have never tried making an axe handle. It has always struck me as something that getting a handle that is nice to use is probably a lot more involved than it looks.

I know a couple of people who do make their own axe handles but they both use an electric grinder to "carve" the shape. I'm glad to see that you seem to have used more traditional methods.

Thanks, I bandsaw the rough shape out of a birch plank, then I shape the rest with a small one handed axe, then a knife and spokeshave. Finally I sand it and apply a layer of shellac.
Yes shellac, I prefer it over oil on my axe handles. I think it works excellently, protects against dirt better, looks better with time, feels better in my hands. Just don't polish the finish so it gets slippery, want it just right. It helps that I stop at 80 grits or so with sand paper.

made a little oak profiling tool, custom made because I need it to get behind some taps on a bath for a re-silicone job, I will try it out tomorrow, it was a good test of skills, done using a chisel only for the shaping.

Attachments

• oak_silicone_profile_tool-2.jpg
    oak_silicone_profile_tool-2.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 42
  • oak_silicone_profile_tool-1.jpg
    oak_silicone_profile_tool-1.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 41
I was so happy that I made some Pims, drank too much and now I've got a banging headache.

Adam, your posts remind me of the days I was head of D&T in Tulse Hill School (sadly, now a housing estate), which had been the junior department of the Brixton school of building. We still had all the trade workshops but the curriculum of the day decided that trades and skills were not valuable. I had the run of the plaster shop and was able to cast replacement frieze sections for our Victorian house, we were renovating. While I was at it, we had a visit from some old boys, who had gone on to become wood carvers in a firm of fibrus plasterers and made the patterns for them.

Had made a pen for mom, she also snarfled my pencil so I had to make a matching pencil to the pen to get mine back. Old age and cunning wins again...

2021-06-05-17.31.59a.jpg

(It's a bit fat because mom is starting to get arthritis in her fingers and the chunkiness helps)

Single bevel marking knife with a copper bolster attached with peined over pins, boxwood handle and carbon fibre pins.
94395CAC-99E9-488E-9FA6-6967BCFCCCD0.jpeg
8E3FCCB9-99B2-463B-B4C8-09EAB744EAF9.jpeg

Textured front part of bolster and a nice visual illusion with the polished blade
5EBE3902-B004-4699-9E41-FCBE2801C097.jpeg

Polishing the copper and sanding the carbon fibre pins without staining the box was more of a nuisance than I expected.

I have WIP photos if any interest

Back