Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the last thing I made. Yesterday.

Attachments

• Byron Rollerball - Purple Heart.mp4
    34.5 MB
  • Junior Gents Roller Ball - Chrome - Acrylic.mp4
    34.2 MB
Six years ago I built one of my first woodwork projects. A garden table and bench from some reclaimed oak. They both got the ‘flintstone’ treatment, no idea how strong wood is so make it ridiculously thick!

The table has lived outside since and has weathered rather well. However, the bench came into the kitchen shortly afterwards for party seating and never left. The bench was functional, that’s about the only positive I can say. The huge dovetails were a disaster and fit so bad I had to drive little wedges in so the didn’t wobble too bad, they were obviously unglueable due to huge gaps.
View attachment 110107
View attachment 110106

A few weeks back I caught my leg on one of these wedges again, and I’d had enough. I took the beast out to the workshop for some repurposing. The tops were taken off, resawn, and glued up into a new wider top. Octagonal tapered legs, and a big bevel gave it the form I had in mind. It was great to have the skills now to build the bench I really wanted to make back then!

Fitz
View attachment 110108
View attachment 110109
View attachment 110110
View attachment 110111

Nice when you can see improvement in skills over time well done!

Cheers James

A relative has a much loved chinese cabinet which they wanted converting to a chest of drawers. Here is picture of the cabinet, after the conversion was completed, which is the same as it looked before.

00F9250B-A2F8-470F-84D9-029D829931E5.jpeg

It is higly polished inside but was completely clear, no shelves or partitions. To minimise damage we built a box made from mdf, placed it inside the cabinet and fixed it to a cross member at the back with two small screws. Then trimmed around the front of the box to cover the gap between box and frame. Trim was pinned to the box so the only damage to the cabinet was the two small screws holding the box in place. Here is a picture of the box in place, filled pin holes yet to be painted, one of the screws visible at the back.
14270F99-4B10-4BB7-A07B-D027C328A234.jpeg

Drawers were made to measure by Probox and fitted in place with metal runners. Here is picture of finished job
E0F9C39B-751B-4A04-AD69-E954993725F3.jpeg

Very nicely done. For a fleeting moment, i thought we were going to see hacked up doors converted to sticky on drawer fronts 😳

Finished making an Adirondack chair from the plans posted here by Rob1693 20th April. Made from 1 1/4" reclaimed floorboards planed down to 25mm. The footstool is inspired from photographs when researching designs. They
P1030420 (2).jpg
P1030422 (1).jpg
P1030425.jpg
will be primed and painted by my brother-in-law who will be the new owner of it.

Needed a new coat rack fairly quickly so used up the last bits of oak floorboards I had. Not fine joinery by any means, screwed and glued with screws hidden by square topped fumed oak dowels (in an attempt to look sort of Arts & Crafts?)
Didn't have enough left to make doors for cupboards the full width so had to add a rather wide centre rail, oak leaves from fumed oak just scrollsaw cut out and applied to surface. Knobs also turned from fumed oak.

Nick

CT RK1.JPG
CT RK 2.JPG
CT RK 3.JPG

This bedroom lampshade is the latest Kumiko noodling...

LampShade 2.jpg

We recently replaced a venetian blind with wooden slats that I recycled into Kumiko strips. They do have a finish on them and i didn't sand them back as they are the ideal thickness for my table saw blade kerf. The Kumiko panels are held together by the snugness of the half lap joints alone (the only glue being that fixing the paper backing).

To keep the shade as light as possible I made the frame from 15mm square stock milled from some 2x4 CLS off cuts which I finished in a 'Walnut' tinted Osmo oil and then a 'Tudor Oak' coloured wax.

As it is a lampshade it won't get close inspection so the staining will be good enough, but I'm not a great fan of staining cheap softwood. But I'm happy with the result from what was just scrap materials.

Today I completed an outdoor bench seat for my wife. It's made from English oak and finished with tung oil. It measures 1.85m long (determined by the length of my clamps), 95cm tall with a seat depth of 50cm. I cut the letters using the scroll saw that I bought recently from fellow member "timber". The seat slats are attached to the seat rails using dominos. The horizontal rails are attached to the legs using twin tenons. For the seat rails I had to use a strong joint so I used interlocking twin tenons, borrowing a design devised by Peter Bishop.

Attachments

• IMG_3988-3.jpg
    IMG_3988-3.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 49
This bedroom lampshade is the latest Kumiko noodling...

View attachment 110662

We recently replaced a venetian blind with wooden slats that I recycled into Kumiko strips. They do have a finish on them and i didn't sand them back as they are the ideal thickness for my table saw blade kerf. The Kumiko panels are held together by the snugness of the half lap joints alone (the only glue being that fixing the paper backing).

To keep the shade as light as possible I made the frame from 15mm square stock milled from some 2x4 CLS off cuts which I finished in a 'Walnut' tinted Osmo oil and then a 'Tudor Oak' coloured wax.

As it is a lampshade it won't get close inspection so the staining will be good enough, but I'm not a great fan of staining cheap softwood. But I'm happy with the result from what was just scrap materials.
Ho fun a thing to do 😉

Last edited:
Had an abundance of Plywood offcuts and a Mitre saw that was on an old Axminster stand that wobbled like crazy and didn't wheel around like it was supposed to so I knocked up a simple wheeled stand with fold up/down wings for longer material cuts.

Wing supports have coach bolts in threaded inserts so are adjustable for level.

Please excuse the state of my workshop. its most definitely a work in progress with too much stuff and not enough space.
PHOTO-2021-05-17-13-00-37.jpg
PHOTO-2021-05-17-13-00-37 2.jpg

Designed this on SketchUp. Learnt some hard lessons - don’t fix sheet materials to a roof you’re planning to lift yourself, and don’t cut your roof felt to size before laying it. But still, this was my first go at framing, and biggest project to date, so I’m pretty proud of it.

Attachments

• 3BFE7AA4-AD83-4353-B4A7-A24EF69A80A4.jpeg
    3BFE7AA4-AD83-4353-B4A7-A24EF69A80A4.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 37
Back