Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again I've printed it off and estimate the following......

arms 24
front Legs 20
back 32
Base 32
slats 24

sound about right.

my chaps will be amazed when I come with a plan!!

cheers James
Looks to me that there will have to be a tie-break between back and base, if they’re also tied on passes.

i’ll get my coat.

Made a small chest as a present for a friend...
20210502_203042.jpg20210502_203055.jpg20210505_192724.jpg

Dimensions are 20 x 15 and 16.5 high (base 10, lid 6.5) - all in centimetres

Was mainly done to test the accuracy of the angle settings on the Bosch track saw, and in the end I created a guide from a piece of 2x4, with one end cut at 10°, and the other at 20°, and used that to swivel the saw to the correct angle, by putting the base on the block, plunging down and tilting, and fastening the knobs. Worked out well in the end :cool:

Made from 10mm thick oak, finished with boiled oil

Last edited:
Any recommendations for a more forgiving hardwood for my next project?

Zebrano is an absolute pig. Every time I've used it, I give up on planing a finish as the grain alternates directions. I end up sanding with every grit I have and it comes up nice in the end - although it stinks of wet dog!

I've used ash and American black walnut for solid boxes and they both work very nicely under a sharp plane. Beech too, possibly, although it isn't as dimensionally stable over time apparently (mine are both still like new though six months later), although I've sometimes had to deal with a bit of tear out I wasn't expecting.

CE0DABA5-2DAC-45C5-BFD1-227B2506E029.jpeg
8AB16288-D629-454D-A92E-E72AB21308B7.jpeg
1F759AF2-E49E-4F2E-83B1-61AFF82538A3.jpeg
42E6AD38-B279-43D5-9EC9-5246C6CF549B.jpeg

20210506_135348.jpg

20210506_135356.jpg

20210506_135425.jpg

Ash workbench with Ply/MDF/Valchromat worktop 2440 x 1220mm. Shelf is for a table saw that will be integrated. Vice and router to be built in too, probably bench dog holes later on. Also, castors too at ends of the four main legs, they will be temporary fixed ones, have a rough idea of how I will do them. Really pleased how this came out. :)

Attachments

• 20210506_135425.jpg
    20210506_135425.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 8
I
View attachment 109891
View attachment 109892
View attachment 109893

Ash workbench with Ply/MDF/Valchromat worktop 2440 x 1220mm. Shelf is for a table saw that will be integrated. Vice and router to be built in too, probably bench dog holes later on. Also, castors too at ends of the four main legs, they will be temporary fixed ones, have a rough idea of how I will do them. Really pleased how this came out. :)

Looks like you have a red Ocado bin for storage! . . . I designed my shed racking around eight of them :) :)
Love the bench, too good to work at.

Finally got my chakras aligned, all is right with the world. This must be what they mean by "zen". After years of digging through a plastic tub for a drill bit I got round to this.

Not as nice as all the boxes uploaded recently, but I'm now at one with the existence and nothing is impossible!!!

For now.

IMG_20210506_143606.jpg

I

Looks like you have a red Ocado bin for storage! . . . I designed my shed racking around eight of them :) :)
Love the bench, too good to work at.

Ha yes indeed, we were stuck in traffic once so the driver left the shopping under the porch along with about 5 or 6 of the crates! They are very sturdy and have come in good use over the years. In fact I might need to miss our slot again soon with all the offcuts im creating.

Zebrano is an absolute pig. Every time I've used it, I give up on planing a finish as the grain alternates directions. I end up sanding with every grit I have and it comes up nice in the end - although it stinks of wet dog!

I've used ash and American black walnut for solid boxes and they both work very nicely under a sharp plane. Beech too, possibly, although it isn't as dimensionally stable over time apparently (mine are both still like new though six months later), although I've sometimes had to deal with a bit of tear out I wasn't expecting.

View attachment 109853View attachment 109854View attachment 109855View attachment 109856
that walnut :love::love:

Ha yes indeed, we were stuck in traffic once so the driver left the shopping under the porch along with about 5 or 6 of the crates! They are very sturdy and have come in good use over the years. In fact I might need to miss our slot again soon with all the offcuts im creating.
I believe that Ocado also uses green crates in some areas (may be for the tie up I think they have with Morrisons) - a couple of those would set off my storage nicely ;)

View attachment 109891
View attachment 109892
View attachment 109893

I love your bench. I can only dream of the space. 👍

I have Summerfeld and Safeway crates I picked up from a co-op, the guy say sure take them. Don't know how they obtained them.

Cheers James

That Black Walnut chest is beautiful. Lovely work.

I've played around with plywood patterns. It's great fun. Started with this bench/shoerack, then the front of this chest of drawers, and now, for my daughters birthday this tray that is supposed to be used for her obsession with eating sunflower seeds

182735660_551963179120429_6336057744597491103_n.jpg

The devider slides back and forth or can be left at the side. The idea is that she can have the shells of the sunflower seeds on one side, and the actual seeds on the other side.
183484046_376174193669770_651267626961704091_n.jpg

The pattern is made from 12mm birth plywood cut into 60° sticks
60.jpg

And glued 3 of them together into these sticks
glues.jpg

Left them with elastics overnight
sticks.jpg

I sliced them
IMG-3110.jpg

And glued them togher in a pattern. I did make a few mistakes there, but it's mindboggling boring to put those together, and it was late at night :)

181548028_3902406096547003_4534108828542081397_n.jpg

The sides are made from some oak left over from my daybed project that I angled by taking of ~20° from the side.
Untitled 85.jpg

The devider is hanging of a brass rod that I had left over from the bench project linked above
IMG-3158.jpg

I added OSMO 3032 and voila!

It's her birthday the 14th - she is a total teenager, so I wonder how she would feel about this rather than the latest iphone :)

Very nice patterned ply Danish! Im currently working on a bar cart with patterned ply bottomed trays, although slightly simpler design. Will have American Black Walnut sides and legs, heres some progress.

Question for you, how do get it nice and flat through the various stages? I had an absolute pig of leveling 2 of these off as each cut was slightly different thickness. Maybe i need to improve my table saw skills.

IMG-20210428-WA0028.jpeg

Very nice patterned ply Danish! Im currently working on a bar cart with patterned ply bottomed trays, although slightly simpler design. Will have American Black Walnut sides and legs, heres some progress.

View attachment 109951
that looks extremely neat though - it's a bit of the same herringbone pattern I did here and here, though yours look much cleaner. @PaulArthur did an awesome job at his bench as well with a similar pattern.

Question for you, how do get it nice and flat through the various stages? I had an absolute pig of leveling 2 of these off as each cut was slightly different thickness. Maybe i need to improve my table saw skills.
For this project I just did it over with the random orbital sander. I think yours look much 'flatter' than anything I've ever done though :)

Back