Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And all to massage the unemployment figures.

So now we start work at 18 or 21 and retire at 67. there are a lot of kids who would be much better off working from 14 as my Dad did and given day release to top up practical skills. Keeping people in school teaching them subjects they see no practical use for teaches them to do the minimum they can get away with.
There is a lot of truth in what you say, how much of what I was taught in school could I remember within a year, also how much of it has been of any use to me – yes okay English maths woodwork technical drawing and I think that’s about it, have been of use.
I used to have a theory that children should be psychologically examined to find out what sort of a brain they had before they were taught things in secondary school, some, like me have a natural ability for inventing-making things and mechanics, some are natural musicians, some artists and others find joy in history or geography etc. I sometimes think that we would all be happier and better off if we utilised and developed the natural talents we were given.

There is a lot of truth in what you say, how much of what I was taught in school could I remember within a year, also how much of it has been of any use to me – yes okay English maths woodwork technical drawing and I think that’s about it, have been of use.
I used to have a theory that children should be psychologically examined to find out what sort of a brain they had before they were taught things in secondary school, some, like me have a natural ability for inventing-making things and mechanics, some are natural musicians, some artists and others find joy in history or geography etc. I sometimes think that we would all be happier and better off if we utilised and developed the natural talents we were given.
I don't agree about natural talent - it's more about opportunities and inspiration given, if you are lucky.
There's no known way to discover talent instantly though plenty have been tried. But the slow way works - invest more in education, provide more opportunities and so on.
Education is supposed develop learning skills, encourage interest, open doors to new opportunities - it's not just about remembering a load of stuff!

Any chance we can spin off a separate thread for a discussion on skill, education, etc, etc? Keep getting a ping that someone has posted a new photo of the last thing they have made for me to come gawp at, and then...............................................

Yes, I thought Lavender
All our Lavender has died off over winter
Unexplained death

The wife wanted a drying rack for her neoprene stuff (winter swimming). Quick & easy solution -
IMG_20210414_190415.jpg
IMG_20210414_190344.jpg
IMG_20210414_190301.jpg
IMG_20210414_190232.jpg

Was commissioned by a relative to make two small sideboards to fit either side of an archway in a dining room, and to fit in with the existing colour scheme of other wood in the room of very dark brown and black wood. This had a lot of veneering, edge banding with oak strips dyed with India ink, contrasting interior veneer, and then oak drawers, and doors veneered in the same way as the cabinets.

What a pain. I am better at veneer now though than when I started!

0257F6FB-7165-433C-9A7C-88CAF3E6503E.jpeg
4AD12889-2F27-427F-A296-AE95C035C90B.jpeg
46673F14-8C6D-4B4F-8679-5E44574FB3E5.jpeg
BD7A6786-37D2-4758-AB7D-B86023BB15FA.jpeg
5F1566F0-742B-4FBD-9A00-FAB21B10A9DB.jpeg

One more set of chisels, but this time the bolsters are permanently forge welded to the tangs. Handles of granadillo on some, others waiting yet.

These are for me to keep. Most granadillo is a more oak-like rosewoodish wood. The finish on these handles is burnished wax with only a couple of drops of shellac. Smoothest wood I've ever used, like ebony, but with stronger long grain.

20210420_203419.jpg
20210425_124404.jpg

And one later photo after fitting all of the handles.
20210425_192901.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted something to fit on the shelf, to bring order to the actual pile of files, pliers, screwdrivers and assorted bits that were loosely dumped there.

Made over a couple of weekends using timber I still had from the science desk stretchers I rescued from the skip 2 years ago. Even made the draw pulls myself :)

20210424_102438.jpg 20210424_125213.jpg

Sounds a bit animal farm like there CM.
Some must be workers, others leaders. I think thats a dangerous path to head down.

"People with a natural ability", well im not sure of that and sociology isn't agreed on that either. you can have an interest in one thing or the other, but i dont think its inbuilt, more a set of influences, from parents, and from society.

Nice drawer unit Peri. Might i humbly suggest something like leather or rubber sheeting on the top, as its a handy place to put tools in use. Save scratching it up.

Back