Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not exactly a woodwork project this, but I finally brought my website up to date (after more than a year with no updates) with details of all the woodworking I've been doing since starting about a year ago.

Link is here in case anyone is interested: CGTK - Dr Al's Woodworking Pages (and please let me know if you spot any typos/mistakes or other issues)

Well it’s not exactly been a restful weekend, yesterday I managed to get the MDF veneered oak doors made for a large airing cupboard front frame

2F8603CB-A25B-4D5F-9E3B-9C0325FBF385.jpeg

It’s so tall I couldn’t stand it up in the workshop so had to hang the doors with the frame on trestles

E8F95185-B131-4153-BD21-D5B342C2CEF8.jpeg

Saturday saw me plastering a mates new workshop ceiling, I don’t like getting the trowels out these days but somethings you can’t get out of, I certainly knew I’d done it by the time I was finished

857B0916-FBA4-45C9-96E8-B837D3B8FA64.jpeg

At over 42 square metres I did it in 3 goes, oh to be 20 years younger

D5058AAB-6E52-4CD7-A2DC-3D0585E56569.jpeg

it was a relief today to potter around at the allotment

Legs were off a bed frane i found leaned up against a wall which I turned down seat was 2 scaffold boards spindles were the bull noses my dad cut off is stairs as seen next to blanks I turned them into comb rail was a door frame side I found in s skip

Lovely bowls Sachakins, but they ain't poplar. The tulip tree is a beautiful tree with qiute lovely flowers and the leaves are the only ones that I know of that have 4 lobes, pikky below.. Tulip wood is really nice to turn and I wish that I could get hold of some more? I'll have to sneak in to Westonbirt Arboretum again in sometime with my chain saw :devilish: :devilish:

I was given a load that was cut from along the tow path of the Canal du Midi, near Carcassonne, when we lived down there, but it's all gone now.

I have just noticed that some of the leves below have 6 lobes. I've never seen that before and there are LOTS of them along the Canal du Midi!

View attachment 107577
Thanks, I had a mix of woods on the off cuts pallet I bought, described as oak, mahogany, iroko, tulip wood, and poplar.
Someone else suggested those particular 3x2x40" lengths wood be either Tulip or Poplar, it don't feel like poplar to me, but never seen tulip wood before, so really just a guess on my part.
Being a pallet of all processed timber not logs, its all dry and rough sawn mainly, so not got anything to go one myself.
It was easy to turn, but fairly light weight compared to the oak and mahogany of similar sizes.

This is it after glue up, prep then
20210308_130959.jpg
20210308_134907.jpg
20210308_170636.jpg
20210308_170520.jpg
on lathe before finishing

Last edited:
Yet another box.
20210406_173550[1].jpg

The sides are white oak. It was going to have a padauk base and lid but I decided not to waste such good wood on it so slapped on some pine instead. It's my first go at working with hardwood and a million things went wrong - not least this:

20210404_143015[1].jpg

Checked it for square when I did a dry fit then forgot to check again when I glued and clamped it :(

Also, when marking out the pins the boards with the tails on kept slipping and try as I might I couldn't realign the pieces perfectly so ended up with some horrible gaps in the joints which I've filled with slivers of wood plus sawdust & glue filler.

There's no finish on it as it will just stay in the garage waiting until I find summat to go in it.

Thanks, I had a mix of woods on the off cuts pallet I bought, described as oak, mahogany, iroko, tulip wood, and poplar.
Someone else suggested those particular 3x2x40" lengths wood be either Tulip or Poplar, it don't feel like poplar to me, but never seen tulip wood before, so really just a guess on my part.
Being a pallet of all processed timber not logs, its all dry and rough sawn mainly, so not got anything to go one myself.
It was easy to turn, but fairly light weight compared to the oak and mahogany of similar sizes.

This is it after glue up, prep then View attachment 107624View attachment 107625View attachment 107626View attachment 107627on lathe before finishing
That still looks like Tulipwood to me which North Americans would also refer to as Poplar. Tulipwood - Wikipedia

Technically not yet finished (only has a coat of danish oil, I'll be giving it a few coats of rattlecan lacquer tomorrow) but it came out well so far.

2021-04-06-21.00.42a.jpg

Rebecca DeGroot had a how-to video on youtube so I thought I'd give it a go. Sycamore, oak for the ears and last year's xmas tree trunk for the tail.

Thought I’d do a follow up to the airing cupboard frame & doors above as I got it finished today, this was what it was to cover.
9C3BC478-8DB1-4D26-A63F-7C837F990A7A.jpeg

Yes that window reveal is that much out of plumb but i guess you expect that in a 100+ year old terrace house.
A lot of scribing later & it looked like this.

ABE92286-5129-4AAC-B328-00FD9AE8B4A9.jpeg

& one with the doors open for folks who like that sort of thing.

EC351789-8EFA-4040-85C4-A2CC83707A24.jpeg

Thankfully for once the finish is down to the customer

My Father-in-law died in 2019. He was a great carpenter, decorator and handyman. In his order of service we did a 2-page collage of photos of him and the family. My M-I-L wanted it framed, so this is what I came up with, a double-sided frame.
1617814657502.png

1617814675883.png

I have glued the frame together so changing it isn't going to be easy!
The frame is from a bed slat, I rounded it over then used my router table to cut a thick groove before cutting the pieces to size and mitering them all. The glass is acrylic, which I cut to size. 2 coats of Osmo to finish it off.
Hooks on top so either side can be displayed.

Spent the weekend knocking a new bed and bookcase together for my eldest (10).

I suspected the bed would be too high, but comments like 'er, with all these drawers, it's going to be very high...' and 'you realise it's going to be like as high as the window sill?' all fell on deaf ears.

But yes, it is far too high. She's delighted but the missus and I are like, eh, no.

My wife doesn't like the idea of slats, so lowering the bed it is.

Attachments

• 2021-04-08_13-28-16.jpg
    2021-04-08_13-28-16.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 2021-04-08_13-27-58.jpg
    2021-04-08_13-27-58.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
After finishing the coffee table the room was too cluttered and a replacement hifi stand was the answer.

Stand is from Scottish sycamore, a big gnarly bit with voids and worm holes. Piece was treated and all holes epoxy filled. Also a big epoxy pour in the top cavity.

Legs mortised into the base, drilled out on the drill press then finished with a chisel. Compound angles so was pleased with how the joints turned out.

The shelves are 10mm toughened glass slotted into slots cut on the table saw, they have a 5cm cantilever and seem plenty strong enough. There is a recess in the back where a power bar is attached. The leg mortises, rear recess and the shelf slots were designed such that there is a 40mm uninterrupted spine to the piece to ensure its strength.

I was concerned over ensuring the piece was vertical and shelves horizontal and coplanar. Cutting all the slots on the table saw sled ensured they were coplanar and I made some spike feet to give some adjustment and allow the piece to sit on the floorboards through the carpet. The feet are a detail I rather like, and we’re fun to make. Insert nuts in the legs and 6mm machine screws with heads removed and thread filed away in the drill press.

I approached the build much more free form, sketching on my bench and laying out angles by eye. Which was a refreshing change to my normal sketch up and measure to death.

Cable management wasn’t thought about enough and there are lots of bubbles in the two epoxy pours. Need to learn for next time.

Comments, questions and criticisms welcome!

Fitz

Edit: Images fixed
Front.jpeg

Installed.jpeg

Side.jpeg

Epoxy 1.jpeg

Epoxy 2.jpeg

Cables.jpeg

Back.jpeg

Last edited:
Back