Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to ask. Why half scale? Are you also making a half scale record player?

Full scale is for mastering 12" LPs. I'm only interested in 45s & on a more practical note, my furnace is big enough to pour that base casting.

I would need 3 furnaces the size I have to cast the full scale base as things that are twice as big have four times the volume.

"UnderTV Cabinet" Olive Ash and Brown Oak. All drawer construction in quarter sawn oak.

It was a very wild piece of ash. This was great from a design point of view. I was able to offset the fissure to create some interest, a bit of tension too between a square design and dramatic timber.

The project was lead by the wood. There was no going back for extra. I had just enough to do it while maintaining a good grain wrap.
Looks great !

Full scale is for mastering 12" LPs. I'm only interested in 45s & on a more practical note, my furnace is big enough to pour that base casting.

I would need 3 furnaces the size I have to cast the full scale base as things that are twice as big have four times the volume.
Ah it’s half size not half scale. That makes more sense. Half scale would have meant the groves would have been half the size too.

I’m pleased with these African Blackwood hinges so far. Got bronze bushings integrated to increase their life by, hopefully, many decades... also no squeaking from wood on wood :D

More photos of the cabinet here if interested...
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/thread...centre-long-term-project.129801/#post-1458644
FA01D412-4CF4-43D2-834E-E4A64542F610.jpeg

B48CA9F3-DF97-49DA-809E-420240F2CEF2.jpeg

9C1FBDBD-E182-4B32-BC7B-87AD6EEFECF2.jpeg

3D189AF5-15CA-4FB7-8117-8999474C2F0F.jpeg

6A4DF296-3DB9-40EC-AE67-B26C4E730B60.jpeg

FB4B43A8-4334-4398-947A-B7D856AC5839.jpeg

790DDF12-F280-4AA4-96C6-7CD343E5050A.jpeg

E48A1183-F22E-48B3-A760-1DC0D51705AB.jpeg

Latest creation has now left the workshop thank goodness.
It's a play rocket and probably contains more processing power that the first rocket that actually went to the moon. One of the most appreciated items was a little MP3 sound processor with 4MB storage, so every time a button is pressed, it plays a MP3 file. You can get a lot of little sound files in 4MB. I used Text Aloud (text to speech) to create some of the files. It also contained a sound generator chip linked to a recycled model aircraft controller to vary the frequency. This turned out to be the 'hyper drive' for jumping between planets in seconds!! I also added a small PWM as a lamp dimmer. I used the old LEDs from an LED tube I broke recently. The dials were found on line, printed and laminated with a little LED back light. The windows are recycled pan lids. The slide and steps were a recycled slide, split in two. :) :)

rocket 1.jpg

Rocket 5.jpg

Rocket 7.jpg

Wood Cart made from pre used wood.
This is not up to the normal workmanship standards on this post but it was made quickly from osb, ply and mdf. All pre used from a building project, with some water damage and heading for the skip. Design taken from “woodworking for mere mortals”, link below
https://woodworkingformeremortals.com/make-a-rolling-lumber-cart/
My design is attached, as well as a couple of photos. Compared to the WWMM design I have removed the shelves to reduce the depth. I also reduced the width from 1.2m to 0.9m to reduce the space it takes up. That was a mistake, inevitably I want to store some sheet materials that are 1.2m wide so It takes up that width, I would have been better with 1.2m width and an extra bin.

One of the photos shows a small removable box hooked over the upright, useful for small wood blocks.

Cost about £12 for the castors plus glue and screws as wood was going for scrap. All a bit rough but works well.

Attachments

• Wood Cart Cropped.pdf
    38.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 5D2BA10F-5D38-41E4-BE91-F7C483F4BAF9.jpeg
    5D2BA10F-5D38-41E4-BE91-F7C483F4BAF9.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 1B6E36F1-8613-41E6-B23D-760B9B356BF3.jpeg
    1B6E36F1-8613-41E6-B23D-760B9B356BF3.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
It's a play rocket and probably contains more processing power that the first rocket that actually went to the moon.
Wow, that is really impressive, especially the clever reuse of materials to make something so unique and special. Your grandson must be very pleased.

Latest creation has now left the workshop thank goodness.
It's a play rocket and probably contains more processing power that the first rocket that actually went to the moon. One of the most appreciated items was a little MP3 sound processor with 4MB storage, so every time a button is pressed, it plays a MP3 file. You can get a lot of little sound files in 4MB. I used Text Aloud (text to speech) to create some of the files. It also contained a sound generator chip linked to a recycled model aircraft controller to vary the frequency. This turned out to be the 'hyper drive' for jumping between planets in seconds!! I also added a small PWM as a lamp dimmer. I used the old LEDs from an LED tube I broke recently. The dials were found on line, printed and laminated with a little LED back light. The windows are recycled pan lids. The slide and steps were a recycled slide, split in two. :) :)

View attachment 106931

View attachment 106933

View attachment 106934
I approve of your pricing policy, that's the best return on your time you will ever get

No footy, no cricket, no gigs so plenty of time and a little spare cash available to spend on some woodworking projects. Not up to the standards seen on here but give me another twenty years.......

20210125_160103[1].jpg

First up is my go at a small scale traditional joiner's tool chest. There's a little bit of joinery involved but also some butt joints and the bottom is simply nailed on as they would have been in the past, to make replacement easy. 'Traditionally' they were painted black, blue or green but I reckon they would have been painted with whatever is spare about the place, as this one has been. It contains one sliding till and was made from scrap.

Back