Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before i retired use to make full size projects now i work in miniature no bad backs and i enjoy the challenge of making small joints
20210311_000711.jpg
20210311_000825.jpg

A Japanese Kumiko wall art piece for mothers day (not quite finished yet) 🤫
That is blinking awesome. Have you got any progress pics so we can see how you did it. What wood? Just thinking of all the bits of scrap I have. Would soft woods work? Not sure I have the patience - or skill

OK someone has to ask what does the saddler clam?
It's a clamp for holding a bit of leather while you stitch it. Mine were just the bare bones - they get leather padding added between the jaws and a strap through the holes with a stirrup on one end to hold the jaws tight.
They come in lots of shapes and sizes. Couple of variations here;

Never used one myself I made them for a local leatherworker doing a teaching class.
There are lots of interesting craft-trade accessories made of wood - I've also made Shetland Jumper Boards and other odds and ends. A complicated version here, mine were simpler

Then there's a whole world of spinning and weaving bits and bobs which I'd like to have a go at

Last edited:
Jacob, spinning? You could always try a Book Charka. It's an Indian spinning wheel. This is a 'rough up' that I did to see just how it works and it's a bit rough but it does work.

The wheel with the stainless wires plugged into it is to wind the wool from the bobbin into a skein. There's a fair amount of gen online including plans.

I have got in to all sorts in the sewing/knitting/crochet line by being asked "can I" and I have. I even joined a crochet forum to get some gen on the hooks and have mad dog knows how many now including some 4mm jobbies with brass hooks on them

IMG_4915.JPG

IMG_4916.JPG

Brass turns nicely with a good sharp spindle gouge.

From there to extreme knitting was another request

IMG_4781.JPG

Front to back. 25mm by 30cm black walnut with box wood buttons, 30mm by 30cm black walnut with beech buttons and 40mm by 50cm Accoya with beech buttons. It was good fun with a 1" oval skew getting the diameters right!

A Japanese Kumiko wall art piece for mothers day (not quite finished yet) 🤫
Aahh glad you've put this up, (which looks brilliant btw.) I've been looking at a book on creating these but have so far stopped myself from getting yet another 'craft to try' 😅 Is this as interesting as it looks or do you think it could quickly become a bit 'samey'? What wood species did you use?

Made a boot Jack. As there are still only three types of wood that I know of “softwood,hardwood, dark hardwood” it is made of hardwood and dark hardwood,
The light wood was purchased online. The dark wood was rescued from a garden fire, we had a rotten table that was getting smashed up. Most of the legs were in good condition once you cut away the bottom few inches.
This was my first attempt at glueing (didn’t have enough clamps, bought 12 more F clamps since then)
This was my first attempt with a plane (still learning to sharpen and set my bench plane, the SB3 plane is $#%¥@& , couldn’t stop it from ripping two parallel groves on the edges)
This was my first attempt cutting a curve with a bandsaw (used the wrong blade)
This was my first attempt with diluted varnish, wasn’t too bad.

Attachments

• 6B86F49F-6E19-4A7D-9354-01FFA345D3C2.jpeg
    6B86F49F-6E19-4A7D-9354-01FFA345D3C2.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 25
  • FC452CAB-F1F8-4B6B-987F-7189ABEAB851.jpeg
    FC452CAB-F1F8-4B6B-987F-7189ABEAB851.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 26
The dark wood was rescued from a garden fire, we had a rotten table that was getting smashed up. Most of the legs were in good condition once you cut away the bottom few inches.
The 'beer label' clock I made (a few pages back on this post) has a segmented frame which looks like the same dark hard wood. It is also rescued garden furniture wood. I can't identify it either.

Aahh glad you've put this up, (which looks brilliant btw.) I've been looking at a book on creating these but have so far stopped myself from getting yet another 'craft to try' 😅 Is this as interesting as it looks or do you think it could quickly become a bit 'samey'? What wood species did you use?

Hi. My name is Trevor and I am a Kumiko addict. Since I discovered my first YouTube video on Kumiko early on during lockdown, it has taken over my waking hours.

Ok, I exaggerate considerably but I have got a lot of enjoyment from several kumiko inspired projects over the last 10 months. I don't find it too samey - certainly no more than a lot of woodworking processes might appear to be samey. What I would same is that it is time consuming but the satisfaction of the final result, for me, is ample reward. Almost equal tot he satisfaction of the finished object is the creation of successful jigs to aid preparation and completion of the projects.

I have used both lime and maple for the kumiko strips as well odd bits of interesting hardwood scraps for occasional accents. The lime is very nice to use with hand tools and the maple cuts well with jigs on the table saw.

The first project was a small side lamp.

Kumiko Side Lamp.jpg

The next project design was inspired by Des King whose videos were the start of my voyage of discovery. This is a 'Coaster Panel'.

Kumiko Coaster Panel.jpg

I forget for the source of inspiration for the display stand below

Kumiko Display Stand 03.jpg

The following tealight shades served as last year's Christmas gifts for the family. Used with an LED tealight they are very effective (and safe).

Kumiko TeaLight Shade.jpg

Finally, I made a ceiling shade for our dining room. In this I used cellophane wrapping sheets to add colour to the project. The right hand shows a single panel against daylight.

Kumiko Ceiling Shade.jpg

The next project is based on a hexagonal box made by Mike Farrington which I will use to hold pot pourri (next year's Christmas gifts, perhaps).

Back