Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
made a bird box using scraps of pine, painted with green outdoor paint, very easy project, used the RSPB plans, did some fancy rounding off on the roof, just to make it look a bit nicer and shaped the top and bottom, it's surprisingly heavy, secured to the wall with a wall plug, the lid is removable.

Attachments

• birdhouseno1_green-3.jpg
    birdhouseno1_green-3.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 34
  • birdhouseno1_green-2.jpg
    birdhouseno1_green-2.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 36
  • birdhouseno1_green-1.jpg
    birdhouseno1_green-1.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 33
Here is a mobile base for a TH/PL that I made with oak which is based largely on a Peter Parfitt YouTube video.

He dominoed the joints but I don't have one so dowelled and added some pocket holes too for a bit extra.

Both wife and me stood on it so I hope 🙏 the 200kg of machine will be OK when it arrives soon.

Attachments

• 20210304_210036.jpg
    20210304_210036.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 20210304_210015.jpg
    20210304_210015.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Looks nice and neat but some practical advice. My bandsaw thats about 120kg has a base with hardwood rails going onto steel corners with castors. The front is jack up. I made the mistake of leaving the front jacked up for a couple of weeks and the wood developed sag. Had to pull it apart and rotate the wood and now make sure it sits on it's feet when not moving. In your case a wedge under each corner would be good insurance when the thing is not moving.
Regards
John

Looks nice and neat but some practical advice. My bandsaw thats about 120kg has a base with hardwood rails going onto steel corners with castors. The front is jack up. I made the mistake of leaving the front jacked up for a couple of weeks and the wood developed sag. Had to pull it apart and rotate the wood and now make sure it sits on it's feet when not moving. In your case a wedge under each corner would be good insurance when the thing is not moving.
Regards
John

Hi John,
I know what you mean the base is only 18mm oak and 10mm clearance to the floor so I am worried about sag to the point where I cant trolley it about. My floor is smooth though. That board going across is the front and gives it a bit of extra rigidity and there will be another one at the back. I'm going to fix that with machine screws and screw inserts as I plan to fix it when the PL/TH is in situ, getting 176kg in over 28mm will be challenging enough with out adding another 70mm to clear.

Do you have any ideas about how I will get the machine on the base? Is it safe for two persons lifting it up by the beds? Or maybe tip it back then tip it forward onto the base then walk it forward to the final position?

Single loft bed for a friends eldest. Before you ask, I just put it where I was told 😂. All just redwood pine. All made on site rather than in my workshop as the design was fluid. Routing the houings for the stairs was fun, as was working out how to space the stairs properly with my framing square, an experience made simpler if it was metric on both sides.

51005738996_909997f424_b.jpg

51005738891_f13cec878a_b.jpg

51005738826_601f464b46_b.jpg

Hi John,
I know what you mean the base is only 18mm oak and 10mm clearance to the floor so I am worried about sag to the point where I cant trolley it about. My floor is smooth though. That board going across is the front and gives it a bit of extra rigidity and there will be another one at the back. I'm going to fix that with machine screws and screw inserts as I plan to fix it when the PL/TH is in situ, getting 176kg in over 28mm will be challenging enough with out adding another 70mm to clear.

Do you have any ideas about how I will get the machine on the base? Is it safe for two persons lifting it up by the beds? Or maybe tip it back then tip it forward onto the base then walk it forward to the final position?

Dont lift it by the planer tables. You may damage the gib bolts and the table adjustment. I did the tilt back then then shoogle it on to the base with both my bandsaw and table saw. You do need some help doing it. Get as many people as it takes.
Regards
John

made a bird box using scraps of pine, painted with green outdoor paint, very easy project, used the RSPB plans, did some fancy rounding off on the roof, just to make it look a bit nicer and shaped the top and bottom, it's surprisingly heavy, secured to the wall with a wall plug, the lid is removable.
Very pretty. When we clean out the old nest from a bird box in the autumn it is handy to be able to pull off the lower half of the front of the box.

Don't lift it by the planer tables. You may damage the gib bolts and the table adjustment. I did the tilt back then then shoogle it on to the base with both my bandsaw and table saw. You do need some help doing it. Get as many people as it takes.
Regards
John
Used the same technique myself when wriggling/walking my P/T onto it's base although I foolishly did it on my own and almost had a scary moment..get help,even if it's just someone planting a foot on the base to stop it "running away when under duress"

Single loft bed for a friends eldest. Before you ask, I just put it where I was told 😂. All just redwood pine. All made on site rather than in my workshop as the design was fluid. Routing the houings for the stairs was fun, as was working out how to space the stairs properly with my framing square, an experience made simpler if it was metric on both sides.

Nice bunk bed, DBT. Did they get you to put it there so they could reach to finish painting the wall? 😂

I caved in and stopped gluing the totes on my 5 1/2 and 4 1/2 and decided to make new ones along with matching knobs. The 4 1/2 is ebony and the 5 1/2 is chestnut. I couldn't trust the 290 year old chestnut floor board to be strong enough as it was so I planed one face, cut out two squares, then glued the two faces together. I glued three pieces together for the knob. May seem like a lot of trouble for a tote and a knob but the original board was only around 600mm and is the only piece I've got so I thought a small project could be the only use for it.

Attachments

• P1020851 (1).JPG
    P1020851 (1).JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 46
  • P1020852 (1).JPG
    P1020852 (1).JPG
    232.7 KB · Views: 45

Latest posts

Back