Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lil guitar amp I made, it's also in the projects section for more detail:

Attachments

• jamjaramp_finished-6.jpg
    jamjaramp_finished-6.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 28
  • jamjaramp_finished-5.jpg
    jamjaramp_finished-5.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 27
  • jamjaramp_finished-4.jpg
    jamjaramp_finished-4.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 26
  • jamjaramp_finished-3.jpg
    jamjaramp_finished-3.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 25
  • jamjaramp_finished-2.jpg
    jamjaramp_finished-2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 28
  • jamjaramp_finished-1.jpg
    jamjaramp_finished-1.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 27
Another birdhouse. This one is for the bottom of the garden. We tend to get Bluetits in two of the other houses by now but so far we've only had visitors but no nesting going on. Maybe a little late for this new house too. The main body is redwood, scorched with a blow-torch. The roof, facia and branches are teak.
P1020797 (1).JPG

My last crosscut sled became a victim of the winter cold in the garage and covered in mould, Birch ply seems to suffer this when not well sealed.

Anyway, gave me an excuse to make a new one using stuff I liked from the old, and other stuff I thought about adding.

Made from 12mm Birch ply this time to reduce weight a bit, front and rear fences just glued lengths of the 12mm Birch to form thicker pieces, while clamped to a straight edge to ensure flatness.

I used UHMWPE plastic to make the runners, as last sled suffered from the hardwood runners swelling.

Incra track carried over from the last sled, and added new 'go faster' walnut modifications! A stop block, and a 'memory stop' (what I call it anyway - gives me the ability to register where the stop block is and remove it to make a different cut then put it back in the same place) Plus a lump at the back to act as a blade guard.

I like the off centre sled, I dont have a need to have the same support on both sides of the blade, and it allows me to keep the size down, the sled is 600x600mm, and made from a 1200 x 600 sheet of birch ply.

IMG_5045.jpeg

IMG_5046.jpeg

What I did like about the other sled was my in built extendable stop, with this, I can consistently cut around 700mm with the in built pull out stop extension, then made a bigger one to slot in should I need to go even bigger - the walnut end flips down to form the stop block

IMG_5047.jpeg

Slide in extra long stop block if needed

IMG_5048.jpeg

IMG_5049.jpeg

Finally, I made extra use of the incra track, and made a slot in finger joint jig which works well

IMG_5050.jpeg

IMG_5052.jpeg

Seems to work well at the moment, I gave it a good few coats of varnish, so hopefully won't suffer the mould like the last one!

Made a dozen of these for a client, some time ago, but it's the last thing I sold (ebay yesterday).
I made a baker's dozen and kept one. It's a "saddlers' clam".
Beech. 44 inches long, 2 3/4” at the mouth, 2“ at the foot.

IMG_3799.JPG
IMG_3800.JPG
IMG_3801.JPG
IMG_3802.JPG

Last edited:
I made a pedestal desk with a hutch. Common Walnut. Jugendstil/ Liberty...
Or as the Germans would say an aufsatzschreibtisch.
It is a copy of a 1900 piece, which the client found here:
https://www.antiques-atlas.com/antique/antique_art_nouveau_desk_english_victorian_/as272a2663
d1.jpg ...........................d2.jpg

Have quite a few photos of the build, if anyone is still interested in this kind of stuff, I could start a thread
in the projects section. (When time allows)

My son is a professional drummer, so I took two of his old, cracked, cymbals and for this one made a lamp holder to go behind it. Was really glad to find a brass dome nut to attach it to the cymbal. This is in my workshop.

View attachment 103871
and on his wall

View attachment 103879

With another cymbal I simply fitted a clock movement behind it to make a wall clock.

View attachment 103873

and finally, I made some simple brackets with angled upwards coach bolts protruding. I used a rubberising dip on the end of the bolts to prevent damage to the cymbals.

View attachment 103875
No clever wood craft here, but very satisfying.
I love this idea. My son drums too and it would be nice to do something with his "leftovers!"

My last crosscut sled became a victim of the winter cold in the garage and covered in mould, Birch ply seems to suffer this when not well sealed.

Anyway, gave me an excuse to make a new one using stuff I liked from the old, and other stuff I thought about adding.

Made from 12mm Birch ply this time to reduce weight a bit, front and rear fences just glued lengths of the 12mm Birch to form thicker pieces, while clamped to a straight edge to ensure flatness.

I used UHMWPE plastic to make the runners, as last sled suffered from the hardwood runners swelling.

Incra track carried over from the last sled, and added new 'go faster' walnut modifications! A stop block, and a 'memory stop' (what I call it anyway - gives me the ability to register where the stop block is and remove it to make a different cut then put it back in the same place) Plus a lump at the back to act as a blade guard.

I like the off centre sled, I dont have a need to have the same support on both sides of the blade, and it allows me to keep the size down, the sled is 600x600mm, and made from a 1200 x 600 sheet of birch ply.

View attachment 104625
View attachment 104626
What I did like about the other sled was my in built extendable stop, with this, I can consistently cut around 700mm with the in built pull out stop extension, then made a bigger one to slot in should I need to go even bigger - the walnut end flips down to form the stop block

View attachment 104627
Slide in extra long stop block if needed

View attachment 104628

View attachment 104629

Finally, I made extra use of the incra track, and made a slot in finger joint jig which works well

View attachment 104630

View attachment 104631

Seems to work well at the moment, I gave it a good few coats of varnish, so hopefully won't suffer the mould like the last one!
Really like this ,excellent job.

Spent most of the day today shovelling 5½ tons of type 1 aggregate over the access road that goes up the side of the house to the garages. I think I'm going to hurt tomorrow.

Once that was done I had a bit of time to do another practice dovetail, this time using my recently acquired Dozuki, which seems worlds better than my previous one. I hadn't been planning to replace the old saw, but it was my first Japanese saw and I'd managed (through incompetence) to damage some of the teeth and then struggled to get a replacement blade, so I replaced the whole saw with one with more readily available blades. I can't quite believe how much easier it is to produce clean, straight cuts with the new saw.

Still some little gaps here and there, but this is by far the best dovetail I've cut so far. The wood was a bit shabby before I started (and there's a big bit of sapwood in the tail board), but it was only for practice.

1614614242510.png

1614614265661.png

Been having a play with my new airbrush and chestnut spirit stains rainbow sample kit.
This is my first airbrushing attempt.
Bowl is two bits of 9 x 1 1/4" rough sawn oak, planed and face glued (badly) to give 8 x 2 1/2" bowl, yellow, orange, red and deep blue stains, Hampshire Sheen high gloss finish to inside. I christened it the Sunrise Bowl
20210301_162414.jpg20210301_162400.jpg20210301_162458.jpg20210301_162431.jpg

Hop up/trestle/bench

Hop up for my loved one, and a trestle come workbench for me. Deliberately low for working from a wheel chair. I can clamp stuff across the step if I'm sat on the floor. All made from a neighbour's donated firewood.

Attachments

• DSCF0488.JPG
    DSCF0488.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF0490.JPG
    DSCF0490.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 28
Recently had my table saw to bits and is now back together. In preparation for making up a series of drawers for the builtin wardrobe I'm making I wanted to make sure the saw was set up accurately (enough) so decided to make a small project at the weekend.

IMG_20210302_074014.jpg

My brother dumped a load of this round mine a while back so decided to utilise it rather than burn it.

IMG_20210303_083846.jpg
IMG_20210303_083940.jpg

Simple and quick afternoon project. Discovered a few issues with the saw set up and the box stores my dowel jig nicely. All in all a successful Sunday.

Latest posts

Back