Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last bit of turning

Attachments

• Penguins.jpg
    Penguins.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2940.JPG
    IMG_2940.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 26
My son is a professional drummer, so I took two of his old, cracked, cymbals and for this one made a lamp holder to go behind it. Was really glad to find a brass dome nut to attach it to the cymbal. This is in my workshop.

1613669302378.png

and on his wall

1613669730171.png

With another cymbal I simply fitted a clock movement behind it to make a wall clock.

1613669489717.png

and finally, I made some simple brackets with angled upwards coach bolts protruding. I used a rubberising dip on the end of the bolts to prevent damage to the cymbals.

1613669640763.png

No clever wood craft here, but very satisfying.

Attachments

• 1613669308498.png
    1613669308498.png
    854.5 KB · Views: 2
My son is a professional drummer, so I took two of his old, cracked, cymbals and for this one made a lamp holder to go behind it. Was really glad to find a brass dome nut to attach it to the cymbal. This is in my workshop.

View attachment 103871
and on his wall

View attachment 103879

With another cymbal I simply fitted a clock movement behind it to make a wall clock.

View attachment 103873

and finally, I made some simple brackets with angled upwards coach bolts protruding. I used a rubberising dip on the end of the bolts to prevent damage to the cymbals.

View attachment 103875
No clever wood craft here, but very satisfying.
What rubber dip did you use?

My other half ordered some wool for a crochet pattern but then realised she didn't have a hook of the right size. I thought I'd have a go...

1613819937689.png

It's made out of an offcut of American black walnut. The outer diameter was made with a dowel plate; I then put it in the metal lathe and turned the inner diameter. The rest of the shaping was done with files.

I also made a simple push block for the table saw out of a bit of dowel and some offcuts of plywood:

1613819964754.png

This is how it'll be used:

1613819985352.png

At the moment it's held together with brad nails, but after a few tests, I'll probably take it apart and glue (and maybe dowel) it instead, just in case I'm stupid enough to try to use it with the blade all the way up and cutting slightly into the push block!

My other half ordered some wool for a crochet pattern but then realised she didn't have a hook of the right size. I thought I'd have a go...

View attachment 104014

It's made out of an offcut of American black walnut. The outer diameter was made with a dowel plate; I then put it in the metal lathe and turned the inner diameter. The rest of the shaping was done with files.

I also made a simple push block for the table saw out of a bit of dowel and some offcuts of plywood:

Thank you for posting this!!

You have just solved something for me!

View attachment 104015

This is how it'll be used:

View attachment 104016

At the moment it's held together with brad nails, but after a few tests, I'll probably take it apart and glue (and maybe dowel) it instead, just in case I'm stupid enough to try to use it with the blade all the way up and cutting slightly into the push block!

As mentioned in my last project-post I was planning to build a daybed. Ideally something really simple out of oak. I liked the graphite oil look on oak that I used on the project linked above and looked around for inspiration.
Couldn't really find something that worked 100%, but did like the look of this daybed by Børge Mogensen - in particular the legs and the way the bed kinda floated carried by the round oak pieces.

Anyway here is my finished daybed
Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 15.27.53.png

and without cushions.

2D8BD1C5-753D-49AE-ABB9-78210AEBD205.jpeg

I build the frame of solid 5cm thick oak and routed out for the space for the thingies to hold the mattress (pallets? what are they called, sometimes my Danglish fails me :)). With a template the routing was fairly easy.

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 15.55.30.png

The legs I made of 2.5cm thick oak timber and I tried my luck with finger joints, a first for me and it was much much harder than I thought it would be.

2F6D7925-5B31-4469-8A4E-E3330F1F4FFB.JPG

And I learned the hard way why it's called finger joints....

7AD67D75-42F7-4C8B-8963-8436F1F1B873.JPG

After a bit of sandpaper (and glue) they turned out fine though.

IMG-2613.jpg

I Ebay'ed this round oak dowel
IMG-2584.jpg

And cut out the spacers, applied the graphite oil and put the whole thing together...

IMG-2648.jpg

IMG-2653.jpg

The futon mattress is from Ebay as well. I would have loved to buy/make a leather one like the Børge Mogensen version linked above but it would have been way too expensive/hard :)

Next are some oak shelving. I need to find a good place to buy oak though, for the daybed I used ajferguson.co.uk and it was ok, but ended up fairly costly... I need to find a good sawmill to source oak from.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 15.29.03.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 15.29.03.png
    667 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
D5085E60-504D-4642-B48F-75932B98A5DA.jpeg
A sharpening station made to sit over the kitchen sink.
It’s knocked together with some reclaimed oak and some beech dowels. Rotating the little wheel cams the stone into position and stops it wobbling about, the kitchen taps swings over to add some water. Works quite well.
I might make a few for family Christmas presents.

Just some simple blocks for hand-sanding. I've got one I bought many years ago, but it's impossible to get the sandpaper under enough tension.

I saw this design on a video sometime a long, long time ago and making some has been on my list for ages. I was casting around for something to do and put my hands on a few blocks of plastic that came out of a skip a while ago, so I thought I'd just get on with it. Bars are 10 mm mild steel; o-ring grooves are 4 mm and the o-rings are a random size out of the selection pack that seemed to fit. All the blocks are a slightly different size to one another as each is the biggest I could get out of the chunks of plastic I had. From how easily it machined, I think it's probably acetal.

The two that aren't assembled in the picture aren't quite finished yet: I need to make the steel bars (basically cut them to length and stick a groove in them for the o-ring) and file the corners of the o-ring slots so the o-rings aren't going over any sharp corners.

1613926915508.png

1613926934775.png

As mentioned in my last project-post I was planning to build a daybed. Ideally something really simple out of oak. I liked the graphite oil look on oak that I used on the project linked above and looked around for inspiration.
Couldn't really find something that worked 100%, but did like the look of this daybed by Børge Mogensen - in particular the legs and the way the bed kinda floated carried by the round oak pieces.

Anyway here is my finished daybed
View attachment 104038

and without cushions.

View attachment 104156

I build the frame of solid 5cm thick oak and routed out for the space for the thingies to hold the mattress (pallets? what are they called, sometimes my Danglish fails me :)). With a template the routing was fairly easy.

View attachment 104049

The legs I made of 2.5cm thick oak timber and I tried my luck with finger joints, a first for me and it was much much harder than I thought it would be.

View attachment 104043

And I learned the hard way why it's called finger joints....

View attachment 104040

After a bit of sandpaper (and glue) they turned out fine though.

View attachment 104044

I Ebay'ed this round oak dowel
View attachment 104045

And cut out the spacers, applied the graphite oil and put the whole thing together...

View attachment 104046

View attachment 104047

The futon mattress is from Ebay as well. I would have loved to buy/make a leather one like the Børge Mogensen version linked above but it would have been way too expensive/hard :)

Next are some oak shelving. I need to find a good place to buy oak though, for the daybed I used ajferguson.co.uk and it was ok, but ended up fairly costly... I need to find a good sawmill to source oak from.
It occurred to me that, and this is completely off the wall, you could try and find an old leather sofa and string the cushions together to create the futon? You could use a coloured string knotted at each end for a modern effect.

just a thought, frame looks good (y)

A pair of owl boxes I’ve been asked to make.
7C28F33A-A185-40EC-8643-D5B049EF5AD0.jpeg
The design was adapted from the RSPB website plans which made very inefficient use of 8’ x4’ plywood boards, so I tweaked them. It’s more joinery than woodworking, though as a newcomer to the art I learned quite a bit about sawing straight, reference faces and accurate measurements.

It occurred to me that, and this is completely off the wall, you could try and find an old leather sofa and string the cushions together to create the futon? You could use a coloured string knotted at each end for a modern effect.

just a thought, frame looks good (y)
Thanks Mike!
I had doubts about what to do with the mattress so I actually ended up buying it first and then building the frame/base after to make sure that the fit was perfect. It's 189x75 and it may be hard to find an old sofa with cushions at those measurements. I will try hard though, it's a good idea!

Thanks again :)

A pair of owl boxes I’ve been asked to make. View attachment 104243 The design was adapted from the RSPB website plans which made very inefficient use of 8’ x4’ plywood boards, so I tweaked them. It’s more joinery than woodworking, though as a newcomer to the art I learned quite a bit about sawing straight, reference faces and accurate measurements.
Where do the boxes get situated?

This is a bit of an experiment. Most forums I've been on have had a "Post pics of [something topical]" thread, but not this one. There's probably a good reason for that, but I'm going to stick my neck out anyway.

The idea is, quite simply, to post a photo of the last thing you made. It can be something quite insignificant, a component of something bigger, or a completed project. It can be something that's not thread-worthy on its own, or it can be something that already has a 9 page WIP thread in the Projects section, it really doesn't matter! It's just a bit of fun, but hopefully it will generate some discussion too.

So here's my offering to get the ball rolling. I could have posted a photo of a mug of tea, but that's hardly relevant. This is a replacement guide knob for SWMBO's Burgess bandsaw. Formally it was in the care of her Dad, who isn't the most mechanically minded, hence why it needed a bit of a spruce up before going back into service!

4AE52A01-AAFD-4813-8F34-C55D8209C5E5-234-0000006EEEAED070_zpsa1b2a1f3.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190815_183647.jpg
    IMG_20190815_183647.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 81
Back