Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And from last year, Bella Bear.
A well known design with modifications to the arm rest for more stability.
Made a mock up from pine first to get dimensions correct and ensure enough beef and support in the back for the rocking action. You know what kids are like.
20190531_104652.jpg

i made a stool to replace another stool!

iroko and padauk,

legs splayed both ways at 5 degries

20210208_163500.jpg

and the burls are mallbe/gum burls that are at duffield timber, brilliant place.
20210204_145053.jpg
20210204_145053.jpg
20210204_145101.jpg

Attachments

• 20210204_145112.jpg
    20210204_145112.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 3
I made us a new bed, which probably should have had a thread but sometimes don't you just want to get on with it instead of taking photos?

Made from oak, oak veneered ply and some hardwood ply for the hidden bits.
Yes, there are a couple of spots of rot on the headboard, but the oak was all free, so i'm calling it character.

I thought it was going to be raffle tickets but it is not. Dominik has a rather clever way of painting lots and lots of small wooden parts. check out his lathe restoration thread

Wooden hand clamp, also made all the steel parts. A bit of an experiment, I might change how it works yet. What I would really like is to get my hands on left hand M10 or M12 thread cheaply. It's not as intuitive to use with right hand thread only.

1613121403650.png

Someone on another forum asked how long to make these chisels - it took me a little while to iron out a freehand process (no interest in making them look machine made or commercially finished - they're actually much more crisp at the edges hand filed).

about 2 hours per chisel from an old file to all of the dealing with the file to get blanks, hammering, grinding, filing, adding/grinding/filing the bolster and heat treating and then making a handle.

The kind of like a more interesting version of turning pens - you can go to the shop for a short period and get quite a lot done on one chisel - but the amount of metal dust if using a belt grinder is alarming. Laundry sink where the washer drains will look like the bottom of an oil pan with metal shavings, sans oil.

But, nonetheless, a full set of these only takes the same amount of time or less than it takes me to make a single plane. This set is left bonkers hard (on purpose) and they take a blinding edge and don't hold much of a wire edge on any stone aside from a very coarse one - so no challenge for anyone to sharpen, and no strange alloys (like excess vanadium, etc, or gobs of chromium, that's made its way into modern steels for stability for the maker or long wearing properties on cutting tools - chisels don't wear that way and a favorable combination of toughness and strength at high hardness is more important.

Add one hour per chisel to make them entirely by hand with no power tools at all, but doing such a thing leads to alarming consumption of files (though if bought right, they could be cannibalized for the next chisel sets).

The trick is getting old files where the alloy was seemingly higher in carbon and the flat large files were (lots) thicker than they are now. Making them entirely by hand leads to little pigtails of metal and much less dust, but also leads to little metal splinters in big numbers.

Also, fitting to post chisels that I consider English pattern on an English site. There are relatively few English pattern chisels that were made in the states here with proportions like these - they are my favorite at the bench by far. Almost equal to better japanese chisels in edge holding but much better for western work where we do more than just chop with them.

Finished mantle....

Well, I say finished, but i've to take it apart again, to reinforce everything not visible with glue and screws. I dont want bits falling off 50 years down the line.
P
DSCF4001.JPG
lus I've still to adjust the columns so they stand upright as true and plumb as possible, and maybe redo the end caps on those that I'm not fully liking

But apart from that.... :LOL:

AJB Temple had a post recently about his wife getting him to make things for her friends...... he's not the only one - "Darling, my friend wants a letter rack for her hubby. I said you could easily do one for his birthday, the day after tomorrow............" Made this last week in the freezing cold and gave myself the challenge of finishing it within an hour and a quarter including the sanding-sealer and two coats of wax. Made from offcuts of European oak and through the thickesser to 12.7mm and 9 for the central divider. All joints done on router table or hand-held router. I'm hoping that the recipient's name doesn't have these initials and that this is where he stores his vouchers for services to be administered!

Attachments

• 11674CEE-A810-49F5-BFF9-9FCF163CB4A5.JPG
    11674CEE-A810-49F5-BFF9-9FCF163CB4A5.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 42AD71E8-FF84-4904-B679-EE0282AE98BC.JPG
    42AD71E8-FF84-4904-B679-EE0282AE98BC.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 53
Having made a brass marking gauge, wheel type I had a go at a router plane and suitably encouraged I tried something else new to me.
#I lusted after a Stanley no12 cabinet scraper but they seem to be a bit scarce or expensive so decided to try to roughly copy it in steel. Used 3mm plate as that's what I had and a couple of 6mm bits for the blade support and cap iron, Alloy bar turned for the knobs and blade from an old circular saw blade is 1.7mm thick, I turned a burr on that and it works but will have a go at heat treating it in due course.
I made a number of mistakes but it's solid and heavy at 1.5kg and most important it makes shavings.

02.JPG
04.JPG
No 12 a.jpg
No 12 b.jpg
No 12 c.jpg
No 12 d.jpg

Back