Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't exactly make all of this but "upcycled" a high breakfast table (had two high stools which I'm not sure what I am going to do with?) My wife decided it would convert to a kitchen island. She did the decorating with Frenchic paint, which needs four coats and then two finishing coats and cures.
Also turned the Kitchen door "handedness around which creates more space. Happy with the result.
As advised on another thread, I used mineral oil on butchers block top and it came up amazing

Attachments

• Breakfast table before.jpg
    Breakfast table before.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Island front 2.jpg
    Island front 2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 48
  • Island front.jpg
    Island front.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 46
Some time ago I build this out of plywood.
Now I added a chest of drawers next to it using same material and method:
2021-01-13 15.19.44 (2).jpg
2021-01-13 15.19.44 (5).jpg
2021-01-13 15.19.44 (4).jpg

2021-01-13 15.19.44 (17).jpg

2021-01-13 15.19.44 (18).jpg

It's real fun to work with plywood and oak - the pattern takes seriously long time and tons of patience, but the result is very nice when danish oil is added. I am very new to wood working, but I love it, it's the perfect corona therapy.

Last edited:
Some time ago I build this out of plywood.
Now I added a chest of drawers next to it using same material and method:
View attachment 100849View attachment 100850View attachment 100851
View attachment 100853
View attachment 100852

It's real fun to work with plywood and oak - the pattern takes seriously long time and tons of patience, but the result is very nice when danish oil is added. I am very new to wood working, but I love it, it's the perfect corona therapy.
I like the look of that. I have an old woodwork book from the 70tes that has a few projects in ply. May have to dig it out for another read.
Regards
John

I just can’t imagine how long it took you Danish to glue all those bits together, the effect is most unusual. So how thick are the drawerfronts? And did you do each one separately or did you do them as a wider one and then re-saw it to thickness? Most impressed how you’ve got the pattern flowing down drawer to drawer.Ian

I just can’t imagine how long it took you Danish to glue all those bits together, the effect is most unusual. So how thick are the drawerfronts? And did you do each one separately or did you do them as a wider one and then re-saw it to thickness? Most impressed how you’ve got the pattern flowing down drawer to drawer.Ian

It was done as one large 1x1m slab:
unnamed.jpg

I then cut it out to fit the 4 drawers, 1 large + 3 smaller.
The drawer fronts were too thick initially and I do not have a planer/thicknesser, so it was a real pain to make them thinner... I ended up using an angle grinder with wood cutting disks to thin it. Fronts were 1.5cm when I was done.

Never underestimate the value of a good jig!
um well yes that's what I thought when I built a circle cutter for my little Dewalt as I need a 12" circle of ply for the bench sander I'm building. I tried it on a scrap bit of 9mm ply and got a perfect disc so went to cut the final item from the only piece of 18mm I have and it cut it perfectly 'almost' to the bottom. So, I thought I would simply flip it over and screw in the jig and finish it off, only to discover the jig wasn't quite right and I ended up with a off centre rim on half of the top and the other half of the base! To make matters worse I'd cut it to exactly the required finished diameter so no room for correction 😡

um well yes that's what I thought when I built a circle cutter for my little Dewalt as I need a 12" circle of ply for the bench sander I'm building. I tried it on a scrap bit of 9mm ply and got a perfect disc so went to cut the final item from the only piece of 18mm I have and it cut it perfectly 'almost' to the bottom. So, I thought I would simply flip it over and screw in the jig and finish it off, only to discover the jig wasn't quite right and I ended up with a off centre rim on half of the top and the other half of the base! To make matters worse I'd cut it to exactly the required finished diameter so no room for correction 😡

That sounds like most of my posts. MAKING a bench sander? I hope you'll post photos!

Ok but I have to get some good quality ply delivered first as we're shielding. I will remake the jig tomorrow.
I think if it was me I would cut it out to within a few millimetres with a jigsaw and then mount it and get it spinning like a lathe and use a chisel to just trim the edge (from the front). You might have extremely good reasons why that would not work of course! Ian
Ps You have a disk that’s only a little bit out, you could try and do what I’ve just described with that disk, it’s not imperative that it’s exactly the same size as the stick on sandpaper disc. And if you are doing a 12 inch one you can buy 300 mm or 305 mm, I think, from memory.

I think if it was me I would cut it out to within a few millimetres with a jigsaw and then mount it and get it spinning like a lathe and use a chisel to just trim the edge (from the front). You might have extremely good reasons why that would not work of course! Ian
Ps You have a disk that’s only a little bit out, you could try and do what I’ve just described with that disk, it’s not imperative that it’s exactly the same size as the stick on sandpaper disc. And if you are doing a 12 inch one you can buy 300 mm or 305 mm, I think, from memory.
You're dealing with someone with borderline OCD I'm afraid. I bought the sanding disks complete with stick on velco backing disc. I tried it against the rubbish ply disc and it overhangs enough to bring me out in hives..

You're dealing with someone with borderline OCD I'm afraid. I bought the sanding disks complete with stick on velco backing disc. I tried it against the rubbish ply disc and it overhangs enough to bring me out in hives..
My OCD is so advanced that I have to have to it alpha-sorted to C D O ;)

Back