Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made these over Christmas break shavehorse tapered reamer and a stool for workshop
Love the shave horse, I’ve been wanting to make one for a long time, just not really sure what I’d do with it ha ha – it’s just one of those things I’d love to own. What do you use the tapered reamer for? Chair leg holes? Ian

Just a scraper. HSS two for £7.11 from China in September ......... now £9.99. Scrap ash and recycled ferrule. Upholstery nail. It was a finishing excerise as it's only a tool handle, but I quite like it - it's Liberon special effects wax Liberon Black Patinating Wax 250ml I was going to try the verdigris one, but couldn't put my hand on it. The green works well on pippy oak.
Hi Phil, I found a similar effect by putting a little bit of ebony would dye in with a lighter coloured dye say medium Oak and just like yours did, it found all the pores in the wood. Another time I used black shoe polish and that did a similar sort of thing to what you have there. I can imagine the green would look very effective. Ian

Basic pine box influenced by vernacular versions of the same thing. Off the shelf pine, hand tools, finished with shellac and wax.

Attachments

• PXL_20210110_151931592.jpg
    PXL_20210110_151931592.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20210110_152015230.jpg
    PXL_20210110_152015230.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20210110_152003961.jpg
    PXL_20210110_152003961.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20210110_152029344.jpg
    PXL_20210110_152029344.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20210110_152052885.jpg
    PXL_20210110_152052885.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 52
  • PXL_20210110_152057279.jpg
    PXL_20210110_152057279.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 53
  • PXL_20210110_152215201.jpg
    PXL_20210110_152215201.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 50
My first project on my small hobby bandsaw.
A scale model of the Piper Cherokee in which my daughter is learning to fly.
Not yet painted and awaiting undercarriage.

That's a lovely little job JoggerD. What wood is it and what saw have you got? My first was a little 3 wheel jobbie and it did me well for a couple of years. My other hobby, for 30 odd years now, is model RC gliders. One advantage you have over me is less repairs :oops:

I look forward to seeing the finished model.

Hi all, first post here, and I figured that this would be a sort of introduction as well. I've been woodworking for about 30 years, mostly with hand tools.

My most recent project was a box for my daughter's inks, a christmas gift. Made of figured maple and walnut, finished with shellac. The top was a (sadly) cupped piece that sat for a very long time because I didn't know what to do with such a badly warped piece of wood. As a curved lid it's perfect!

Maple_walnut_box,jpg.jpg

Hi all, first post here, and I figured that this would be a sort of introduction as well. I've been woodworking for about 30 years, mostly with hand tools.

My most recent project was a box for my daughter's inks, a christmas gift. Made of figured maple and walnut, finished with shellac. The top was a (sadly) cupped piece that sat for a very long time because I didn't know what to do with such a badly warped piece of wood. As a curved lid it's perfect!
Well done with the creative way you used a piece that was essentially firewood.

Large paring chisel forged, ground and filed to shape from an old heller flat metal file. This wasn't easy to make (I expected it to warp less than it did when quenched - it need hammering back close to flat after tempering). Hammering a thin chisel on an anvil with a hardened hammer is a bit risky feeling (I doubt it's as risky as it feels like it is).

fFhkcot.jpg

very thin with very very thin lands near the business end. 1.1" wide, 16" long from bevel to handle end.

4PcSvwe.jpg

House warming gift for some friends. I made us one, and they seemed more impressed than i expected, so i made them one also.

Ours was made from the sink cut out waste from our worktop (beech block). This one was made from an oak block sink cut out from someone else's.

Finished in a food safe bees wax blend, which i know wont last 5 mins, but it looks nice for the gift hand over (or, as was actually the case, place on the doorstep, ring the bell, and step well back!)

The bit of metal work on the top is nothing to do with it.

choppingboard.jpg

The top was a (sadly) cupped piece that sat for a very long time because I didn't know what to do with such a badly warped piece of wood. As a curved lid it's perfect!
A couple of my 'flat top' boxes have ended up with a subtly curved top after the event ;)

... I find soft woods like pine etc the most difficult to get crisp sharp joinery on....

Fitz.

Yes, this was one of the reasons that I did it, hoping to improve my skills!

When I first decided that I had to make one of these I had looked at the more rustic offerings, but this design when I found it seemed to be the perfect opportunity to try something a little bit harder. It seems I have a problem cutting mortices to a straight line! (must try harder). Very pleased with it, perfect for sitting on when tending my wood stove 🔥😁

Love the shave horse, I’ve been wanting to make one for a long time, just not really sure what I’d do with it ha ha – it’s just one of those things I’d love to own. What do you use the tapered reamer for? Chair leg holes? Ian

The shavehorse parts are easily removable and it doubles has a low chair making bench and a saw horse

Yes the reamer is for making tapered mortices for legs and chair parts and does different size holes depending which size hole you start with it tapers from 3/8 to 1 1/2 inch

Attachments

• 20201207_203428.jpg
    20201207_203428.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210102_172947.jpg
    20210102_172947.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 31
That's a lovely little job JoggerD. What wood is it and what saw have you got? My first was a little 3 wheel jobbie and it did me well for a couple of years. My other hobby, for 30 odd years now, is model RC gliders. One advantage you have over me is less repairs :oops:

I look forward to seeing the finished model.

Thanks

The saw is a 2 wheel Axminster HBS200N. Paid a bit more than the cheapest saw to make sure I got a cast Table. I had to fettle it a bit to make it run quiet and true but it's very good now. Added my own internal mods to the dust extraction, so it captures nearly all the waste and puts no fine dust into the room.

The wood used for the 'plane is limewood (AKA basswood). Nice straight grain, and easy to carve and finish.
Axminster-HBS200N.jpg

Latest posts

Back