Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried a couple of these type of lidded boxes, and with every one the lid has warped - whats the secret to making it stay flat?

(I've never used 'new' timber, generally it's stuff that's both reclaimed (old), and has sat in my shed for at least 12 months).

I've tried a couple of these type of lidded boxes, and with every one the lid has warped - whats the secret to making it stay flat?

(I've never used 'new' timber, generally it's stuff that's both reclaimed (old), and has sat in my shed for at least 12 months).

As I understand it , A lot depends on how the log was processed as to how flat or curly it will become when dry or drying , see the image

Saw_patterns by https://www.flickr.com/photos/150639903@N08/, on Flickr

This board has been in my workshop, or the previous one, for sixteen years.

I had the same problem on one I made, the best you can do is use quartersawn stock or riftsawn otherwise nothing to stop it, I make sure it's well seasoned beforehand.

I got the idea from somewhere on t'internet for the black frame and somewhere else for the general shape.

It's all beech and the frame was dyed with 2 coats of Indian Ink (Hardly used any at all).

I use chalkboard paint and shellac for the ebony effect, which results in a lovely but delicate finish. I will have to try India ink next time.

I use chalkboard paint and shellac for the ebony effect, which results in a lovely but delicate finish. I will have to try India ink next time.

I did 2 coats, rubbing down after the first one (it raised the grain). Very easy to put on with a paint brush. I'm very pleased with the it, it's very black

For those wanting a truly matte black, you should try Wickes blackboard paint. I am amazed at how good it is when carefully applied

This is the first thing i have ever made, it might not be perfect but my hands made it

Attachments

• 20201127_161554 (1).jpg
    20201127_161554 (1).jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 20201127_161653.jpg
    20201127_161653.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 68
I made another scar for my lucky finger.
Its lucky because its had a total now of 32 stitches, from one thing and another and incredibly it's still attached :oops:

Attachments

• Fitting a door lock 004 (Custom).JPG
    Fitting a door lock 004 (Custom).JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 644
I made another scar for my lucky finger.
Its lucky because its had a total now of 32 stitches, from one thing and another and incredibly it's still attached :oops:
Ouch see attached, right through both tendons and an artery 13 weeks rehab and 4.5 hours plastic surgery, i feel your pain man, here's to a speedy recovery

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1573259642298.jpg
    FB_IMG_1573259642298.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 17
Ouch see attached, right through both tendons and an artery 13 weeks rehab and 4.5 hours plastic surgery, i feel your pain man, here's to a speedy recovery

Ouch on you, but whatever did you do to cause it ?

Mine happened a bit back and has healed since, just fancied doing a funny post as these past months have been trying to say the least.
It looks like you are left handed...
I favour the left but am in fact ambidextrous. When I was in school such abnormalities werent allowed so I was forced to write with my right, but in the end the left prevailed.

So I posted in another thread about my wife and daughter choosing their own timber and me then given the challenge of what to make with it (for Christmas pressies for them), my daughter chose Teak so this is what I did, it's nothing special or too difficult really (compared to most things I've seen posted) but I'm hopeful she'll like it and the joint to make the board isn't really visible so all in all quite please.
IMG_1874D.JPG

The inscription around the sides reads
"For a Daughter with Whom,
you Laugh, Dream & Argue,
but love with,
all your heart xxx"

Back