Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Door 1 of 3 to replace my garage door, panel dry-fitted, sans paint.

received_378983620199297.jpeg

Detail shot of the T&GV fit-up

received_2800789506847755.jpeg

And the frame after glue up but before being tidied up.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1605561119634_6734211426325509279.jpeg

Made this one entirely using hand tools, which is my preferred way of working.

However for variety I'm planning to do the next one entirely using router jigs, because I feel like I should give that a shot.

The third will probably be a mix of the two approaches, based on what's easiest.

hung my QRD acoustic diffuser to the back wall yesterday evening using oak french cleats, the wall will be plastered over the artex, it probably weighs 30-35KG, definitely improves the sound a lot, it's placed carefully at the centre line dead centre of my studio monitors on the opposite wall.

Attachments

• QRD7_wallhangeth-2.jpg
    QRD7_wallhangeth-2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 25
  • QRD7_wallhangeth-1.jpg
    QRD7_wallhangeth-1.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 26
This was originally intended as a chess board, for myself.
I cut too much off one of the edges when I was tidying it up - so every time I look at it all I can see is a column of narrow squares :eek:
It sat gathering dust for 6 months, so I decided to turn it into a chopping board for one of my very good friends at work.
Apparently he took it home, his wife said "You aren't cutting anything on that!", so now it's become a chess board again :D

(Beech is from a bed frame, iroko (?) is from a school desk, border is from a front-door frame ! )

Edit - It's solid wood about 1 1/2" thick, not veneer.

20201119_073342.jpg
20201107_135957.jpg20201107_140036.jpg

Last edited:
This was originally intended as a chess board, for myself.
I cut too much off one of the edges when I was tidying it up - so every time I look at it all I can see is a column of narrow squares :eek:
It sat gathering dust for 6 months, so I decided to turn it into a chopping board for one of my very good friends at work.
Apparently he took it home, his wife said "You aren't cutting anything on that!", so now it's become a chess board again :D

(Beech is from a bed frame, iroko (?) is from a school desk, border is from a front-door frame ! )

Edit - It's solid wood about 1 1/2" thick, not veneer.

View attachment 96843View attachment 96841View attachment 96842
That looks really neat Peri, any wip pictures? I’d be really interested in the process, guess you glue up longer strips edge to edge then cross cut off rows? How did you level it off, just a sharp plane or anything more sophisticated?

Sorry Tom, no pictures :(
It was exactly as you said though - glued strips, then cross cut (like the majority of youtube videos I've watched about making chess boards!)
Then a lot of time with a hand held belt sander at 50grit, followed by palm sanders at finer grits.
Finally a router for the edges and finger grooves.

Here’s my latest construct. I have Paulk style torsion box workbenches and I needed a place to put my vice. The metal vice is mounted in the woodworking one when I need it. View attachment 96756View attachment 96757View attachment 96758
I used to have something similar but would suggest that you position the metal chuck so it sits over the bench more. The cleat in your wood vice can be very much thiner and right near the front of the metal working vice plate. That lets the bulk of the metal vice sit over the bench and the wood working vice does not need to be opened so wide. As you have it there is massive twisting force on the wood vice and edge fo the work bench. The force needs to go through the bench as much as possible not the wood working vice.

This was made for a bit of fun I'ts a block of oak with a couple of slices of black acrylic. There are two 8mm steel rods running through the middle to strengthen the bond between the acrylic and wood. It's given me an idea for a project next year. Next one, I'm planning to have partially opaque acrylic, but edge lit with an LED and wireless charging. Rather than building the charging circuitry from scratch. I'm thinking of just using the gubbins from an old tooth brush. The idea is to have no external connections. I might also put two reed switches or hall switches in series to operate the LED. A puzzle, try and get the LED to light by getting two magnets in the correct position.

wood.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished another Christmas present. This one has a back story... When the first lockdown started one of my daughters was living in a shared house in a very small bedroom. She decided to move back in with us for the duration. While here she decided she wanted to have a go at some woodworking to pass the time. I pointed her at a Paul Sellars video on YouTube where he makes a small desk organiser box. My workshop is a hand tools only situation and she had not anticipated the effort involved. Anyway she mad a start with dimensioning of the timber and go the pieces for the case roughed out.
IMG_1759.jpg
At this point she developed a blister and decided this was going to be a bit of a big project she abandoned it and made an Apple Watch charging stand, like the ones I posted earlier. She did a great job on that but of course it means I couldn't give her one of those for Christmas.

I decided I would build the organiser box for her. I had given my daughter a panel of recovered pine to play with but I figured I would break out my last board of cherry for the project. Everything was done with hand tools, including thicknessing the boards. These are the first dovetails I have cut since I left Canada 16 years ago and I literally just went for it so pleasantly pleased with the outcome. The box is far from perfect but it looks nice and I'm sure my daughter is going to love it. The drawer pull is a bit of maple and the drawer bottom and divider are pine. It is finished with Liberon finishing oil and then wax.
IMG_1753.jpg
IMG_1757.jpg
IMG_1756.jpg

Back