Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heritage glass? What do you mean by that?

Sorry, I meant the low sight line/ slimlite type double glazed units, a few people I deal with just refer to it as heritage glass. The Heritage putty the manufacturer specifies from Hodgson Sealants is a bit sticky to deal with, even using beads I end up with it everywhere :rolleyes:

I am planning to make a frame for my mother's birthday; she asked for a nice framed photo, so I thought I'd go with a hand made frame (in walnut) to boot.
This is not that, this is a practice frame I made from some oak offcuts I had lying around. A useful learning process, I'm fairly happy, but there is room for improvement.

y4mDuP-_h1GdFYxmjz5BpUPchOadvj0jUV3z0fAsvmchZqFCMn6y8zvhnfs6e7aFyl5jP7fF1vD2vnV0faC1gG9N4rNAQuhrHA8gHan9sr4FsQlb01ZQNrKMHBn4BhtUYJDliQLj9z7hk31UmLrSE6df9uFY2UMsw06BvegqGsMDTa7NO_G51XBPm_HpdpYgx4ye4ub-H_d6qq4ZR2PUhHhhg

I went for contrasting splines in birch. They are not contrasting once finished. They probably would be against walnut though. Also, I think I will mark for my splines with a pencil not a knife next time as removing the marks was a pain.

y4m-eE0DfZq0OjzISTz0Scb-lHhRsaoVKhOe-cWpbqgHv3RDUGedrsWpK705UCbN4_b9h_7gXCGWU2sB3Sz4jlppIMkUVVS2pPDO_WgkQDtOPZ7CTp98m7waxCX6N1YP5jmNiSnBc3FzDhNSbtyaWQy-an11E_-EUBd5PIlHFFGi7wx0PvKn9WwZYR8beAWuq_uVj2tiISbvGQmxNs6grGubA

As my shed is a wee bit small, I needed to get the shopvac out to have room to maneuver a bit more, so whipped up this little side-shed yesterday:

20200915_140731.jpg

Made with left-overs from the shed build, glad I hadn't yet got rid of it!

Busy padding it with acoustic foam, so neighbours won't get too much noise (and neither will I!)

Nice one Doris, I wouldn’t have the faintest idea where to start on making something like that, I think it’s worth a load of photos on how you made it if you have them, How to hold it for one thing – or is that why you’ve always got your blood on everything (previous post somewhere) ha ha
Ps just realised that’s Zigby on your profile photo – he is a full-size one isn’t he!

Bit of an odd one but got asked to make part of a praxinoscope and incase you like me you dont know what they this is one I found on youtube . Someone had a go but it wasn't even remotely true when spun so I had to get it spot on to make a happy customer. I only made up the rosewood and cherry surround and client did the rest. Not my taste but they were happy
DSC07364.jpg

Sat here resting a badly sprained ankle done yesterday whilst exercising the daughters hound, I thought I'd post a photo of a Spear & Jackson tenon saw that I cut down, filed off, and resized the teeth to 16 tpi, and re handled, making it into a dovetail saw. Setting the teeth was a slow job as they're about on the limit for my aging eyes.

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG

Nigel.

Nice one Doris, I wouldn’t have the faintest idea where to start on making something like that, I think it’s worth a load of photos on how you made it if you have them, How to hold it for one thing – or is that why you’ve always got your blood on everything (previous post somewhere) ha ha
Ps just realised that’s Zigby on your profile photo – he is a full-size one isn’t he!

Thanks. Unfortunately no consistent WIP photos of this one but this one was using method from the past two rocking horses I built they're on instructables and the woodworker magazines a few years back. He was indeed full size. The customer (who commissioned it) quite easily rode it before he went off to his new home

Wonderful, isn’t it a terrific feeling when your customer claps eyes on the finished project. I shall have to look that up as I have a grandson on the way, my first. I know it’s difficult to say, approximately how many weeks work in one of these rocking animals?

Wonderful, isn’t it a terrific feeling when your customer claps eyes on the finished project. I shall have to look that up as I have a grandson on the way, my first. I know it’s difficult to say, approximately how many weeks work in one of these rocking animals?

Approximately a month if you work 5 days on it

I needed something very simple to hold workpieces when sanding or cutting with the track saw, that didn't get in the way:

Made from scrap:

20200922_093359.jpg

25mm hole for the top half of the bench dogs:

20200922_094446.jpg

Add dowels as a lever:
20200922_095039.jpg

And done in about 15 mins!
20200922_095223.jpg

20200922_095627.jpg

Lesson learned: The offset of the 25mm centre hole is too big, and sometimes you don't get that nice tight friction cramping action - it just pushes the workpiece. The next iteration will have the offset only a few mm off-centre.

A while ago I posted a photo of tool cabinet I'd made.

IMG_7760.jpeg

Since then I've been gradually fitting it out with tool racks and internal panels.

First was a chisel rack:

IMG_7773.jpeg

I then made an internal hinged panel. It's just 12mm ply with oak lipping.

IMG_7781.jpeg

I put some of my measuring tools on the panel:

IMG_7782.jpeg

Next were a couple more hinged panels with places for saws, marking gauges, spokeshaves etc.

IMG_7793.jpeg
IMG_7798.jpeg

The most recent addition is a little drawer section. I made it as a separate unit which can be slotted in. This is the frame:

IMG_7817.jpeg
IMG_7819.jpeg

And with the drawers in:

IMG_7834.jpeg
IMG_7836.jpeg

There are a few more things I'll add (some dividers to the left of the drawers for example), and you'll notice that there is space for some additional tools which I don't yet own!

It's great being able to keep my bench clear of tools whilst having them all in easy reach.

Although I designed this to fit the space I had, the inspiration (especially for some of the details like the hinged panels and tool racking) was this article I found on line: Cabinet plans. It might be useful for anyone else embarking on this kind of thing.

Back