Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See the little set-back they have? Well next time (! :) ) if you were to have a little overhang of the upper body of the piece over the sub-structure you'd go from a 9-1/2 to a 10 out of 10. Just 4-6mm all round is all it needs. There's just a slight awkwardness where the ends with their excellent dovetails sit flush with the aprons below. Not a criticism so much as a critique, because it is a lovely piece.
Thanks for your input. I did wonder about that. I’d sketched out various options from having a much smaller sub-structure but it didn’t seem as stable, and I’d also wondered about routing a small shadow gap around the sub-structure to make the top float a little. In the end, I went for speed because my wife needed to use it. I can still take the top off and put that gap in, but it’s obviously not possible to undo it if I don’t like it!

Rather than going round with a router you could create a shadow gap with some thin strips of wood setback 5 mm, mitred ar the corners it would mean the top of the desk was slightly higher of course. Did you fit push to open catches on those drawers by the way?

had lots of small offcuts from other projects sitting in a box, so decided to do something with them, and came up with these 3 panels. Now hung on the wall in my home office.

Walnut float frame, with Walnut, Oak, Mahogany and Beech offcuts in the panels.

View attachment 91907
They look great, very simple but effective. Nice job.

Multifunctional side table...

Attachments

• IMG-20200729-WA0011.jpeg
    IMG-20200729-WA0011.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 50
Built a wardrobe for a customer this week, left side is hot water tank/airing cupboard (hence the pipe casing above), right side is hanging space. They have a decorator coming to do a couple of rooms so he will be painting it.

wardrobe.jpg

To prove I don't only do MDF built-ins here's a sash window I did a couple of weeks ago, was working back there today so took a pic, it's not a proper one as on spiral balances (small enough anyway without boxes on the side), made from Accoya, glazed with Heritage units. Notice the scaffold outside, they are having a new roof, think I would have done the roof before the windows :rolleyes:

sash window.jpg

Thank you both for the help. The lamination will be done with polyurethane, because pva sets far too fast, and it also gives a better result with the laminations (it makes them virtually invisible). I will try doing the slats with pva, on the basis that the cleanup will be easier in between all the slats, in the fiddly gaps etc. I was also hoping to put the finish on (or at least the stain) before I glue it together. Is that feasible? (Edit: actually read all of Mike 's answer this time - will apply the finish first).

Currently I am making some new clamps (How to make your own wooden sash cramps) but I had an epiphany yesterday - I have enough clamps (for this job, at least) but they are not long enough, so I will try making some sort of extensions for them as well. It might work. I'm thinking piece of wood with a hole at one end for the clamp head, and a right angled piece to hold on to the work, possibly with a mortice and tenon joint. It's all a voyage of discovery at this point.
No probs, I quite fancy building a couple of these. Are you making the legs detachable so the beds stack for storage?

No probs, I quite fancy building a couple of these. Are you making the legs detachable so the beds stack for storage?
No need to stack them up, so the legs are glued in. I have wondered whether I may come to regret that decision. One option was to have the legs fold, but it would complicate matters, and could fold up during use, which would be amusing.

Getting back to making boxes.......birch ply core, veneer: ripple sycamore, American black walnut, cherry, holly, London plane. Velvet lined. Smart hinges. Oil/varnish finish. Sorry images are a bit soft-camera not well!!!

View attachment 91506
View attachment 91507

Brian, I am not sure if anybody has commented on this, but even with the slightly soft photos, it is exceptional. That inlaying on the front and top looks great as a design and is executed perfectly. There are dozens of ways that the box could have been spoiled with anything less than that level of craftsmanship you have displayed, well done.

this gets my nomination for best in show for 2020!

Built a wardrobe for a customer this week, left side is hot water tank/airing cupboard (hence the pipe casing above), right side is hanging space. They have a decorator coming to do a couple of rooms so he will be painting it.

View attachment 91995

To prove I don't only do MDF built-ins here's a sash window I did a couple of weeks ago, was working back there today so took a pic, it's not a proper one as on spiral balances (small enough anyway without boxes on the side), made from Accoya, glazed with Heritage units. Notice the scaffold outside, they are having a new roof, think I would have done the roof before the windows :rolleyes:

View attachment 91996

Very neat work!

How does you make and level the plinth under the cupboard, looks quite short.

Very neat work!

How does you make and level the plinth under the cupboard, looks quite short.

It's actually higher then it looks in the photo, if you look closely you will see the carpet is rolled up the front of it making it look smaller.

It was basically a 3x2 frame with MDF on the front to make the doors look inset. There is no bottom or back in the wardrobe because of hot water tank. The 3x2 legs went down to the floor, the bottom cross 3x2 was held up a couple of inches off the floor ( so the doors are about 100mm off the floor). A piece of MDF was fitted to the front of this then a piece of MDF skirting was mitred around the bottom to make it look more like a piece of furniture.

Brian, I am not sure if anybody has commented on this, but even with the slightly soft photos, it is exceptional. That inlaying on the front and top looks great as a design and is executed perfectly. There are dozens of ways that the box could have been spoiled with anything less than that level of craftsmanship you have displayed, well done.

this gets my nomination for best in show for 2020!

Thank you marcros, that's a very generous thing to say.

I will correct one thing though - none of that is inlay! I start from the middle and work out so it's outlay, if anything!

The design was just a 'let's see what this looks like...' and I'm quite pleased with it. I am working on more boxes and, this time, taking pictures. I'll put up a WIP soon to show my workflow.

I would be interested to see that. if anything it makes it even more impressive!

I have been back to making some wine bottle coasters. These are in black walnut from some off cuts from a local cabinet maker. The pyrography looks really good and I had thought that the wood being dark would mute it too much. I don't think it does. Left is finished with hard wax oil and then finished with Chestnut Microcrystaline Wax the other is raw wood as yet and the second photo shows the component parts before I pyro the Celtic knot and assemble it. The longest job is getting the uprights exactly the same length or they sit totally wrong.

I have no idea why the photos aren't showing??

Attachments

• IMG_4574.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4576.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 30
A gap would work, but I was meaning an overhang.
Rather than going round with a router you could create a shadow gap with some thin strips of wood setback 5 mm, mitred ar the corners it would mean the top of the desk was slightly higher of course. Did you fit push to open catches on those drawers by the way?
Interesting idea...
The drawer fronts are wider than the voids for the drawers, so they overhang in to the central space slightly, allowing you to pull the drawers open at the sides (which is why I opted for Blum runners instead of just having the drawers fitted in to the space). When I get chance, I’m going to put a small indentation in to the edges of the drawer fronts to make it more obvious.

Here's one from a few years ago. This is what you can do with some slightly bigger boxes - largest one for the TV. Look away if you're mdf-averse though :) The face is all lipped with tulipwood. Alcove was about fifteen feet high.

Shelvingboxes.jpg

Alderney! Do you know Simon Fane? He used to do the Telegraph crossword in Bromley in the Shortlands. My old local. 🥰 I used to have a pint with him most days. He moved back to Alderney a few years back. I miss his company quite often. Proper Gent and great company. Please say hello from me if you do. Tell him Chris from the Tav. He'll know.
Just in case, hope you understand. :)

Stop it, BM!
I used to live in Shortland - just up the hill, actually - Park End, behind quick fit.
Was down there last week doing some repairs on our old house we rent out.
It changes so much each time I see it, though still great fried breakfast at what was Mazzi's opposite Brewers decorating place

I was 3 doors from the pub. :) Used to have a cracking crowd in there.
As you say, it's so busy all round there now. Getting properly swallowed up really.
What's mad is that I remember seeing a picture/drawing of the buildings and houses round there pre ww2 and there was nearly nothing there. I'm a bit wiser now but I distinctly remember being shocked at the rate of change as a young lad looking at that picture.
Anyway.... back on topic!

Back