Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First ever post and brand new to woodworking. Tables made of Cedar, routed out, filled with rock pool stuff and then filled with epoxy.
IMG_20200908_081057.jpg

Cheers @Ged S
Here is one of my Addys made from Cedar, apart from a few Redwood slats after I ran out of Cedar
All fastenings are hidden Pocket holes apart from the ten coach bolts as decreed by Norm
Plants are Delphinium, Pansy and Iris !
View attachment 91733View attachment 91734
Hi, nice job!
I didn’t have a pocket screw thingy and went for exposed countersunk stainless screws (Spax). Expensive but look pretty good and easy to strip down when refinishing required.

Hi Ajsimmo, Mighty fine first project, it might be a trick of the light but have you used and adze on the top of the table on the right, it has a lovely rippled look to it. What are the four slits, decoration or holding the legs on? Ian

The ongoing saga of bendy wood (lamination) - a sun lounger for the tourists. This is actually a proof of concept, as until someone lay down on it I had no idea if it would be comfortable or not. Luckily it has passed the lounging around test.

20200908_134633.jpg

There are a number of things badly wrong with it: I used the wrong (foaming polyurethane ) glue for the mortice and tennon joints, which seems to have opened them all up. Very gappy. The glue was a nightmare to clean up, and the finish (light oak stained varnish) shows up where I thought I had cleaned up the glue but hadn't. I hand cut the mortices for the legs so badly I would have started again if it was real work. I also stopped work to make a mortice gauge, I was so appalled by my lack of skill, but without a mortice gauge, I didn't mark out the mortice for the gauge very well, so it isn't brilliant. Seems to be a chicken and egg thing. Now I have a mortice gauge, I can make a mortice gauge properly.

Still, we have 64 mortices (60 cut with a router and jig, which on bendy wood was interesting), and lots of table saw practice. Also cutting tenons (or is it tennons?) on table saw, band saw, and a mix of the two gave me some good experience. I do know that I need another 2 slats at the head end, so the prototype (ie the next one) will be a tad longer. I also know I need more experience being accurate, so I need to churn out a few of these.

The really sad thing is that at no point, ever, will I lie in the sun on one of these. Still, tourists like that sort of thing, and bought sun loungers cost a fortune and only last 2 years before the sun destroys them. I am hoping for a better return on investment with this.

Just mad a couple of pizza boards from reclaimed wood. The discs are both larch Victorian stair treads. One has a handle made from oak floorboard which was laid in 1753 The other has a chestnut handle from floorboards at the same premises but age unknown and a cherry insert from the firewood pile. The discs are around 330mm diameter.
P1010106.JPG
P1010119.JPG

Hi, nice job!
I didn’t have a pocket screw thingy and went for exposed countersunk stainless screws (Spax). Expensive but look pretty good and easy to strip down when refinishing required.
Cheers Ged, both tables flat (gravity) epoxy crystal clear stuff. The slits are from the woods original purpose, they are/were drainage holes as it was a tree sized planter. The tree was felled on our garden. The other table had them too, but I covered them by making a bigger epoxy fill.

Cheers Ged, both tables flat (gravity) epoxy crystal clear stuff. The slits are from the woods original purpose, they are/were drainage holes as it was a tree sized planter. The tree was felled on our garden. The other table had them too, but I covered them by making a bigger epoxy fill.
Alderney! Do you know Simon Fane? He used to do the Telegraph crossword in Bromley in the Shortlands. My old local. 🥰 I used to have a pint with him most days. He moved back to Alderney a few years back. I miss his company quite often. Proper Gent and great company. Please say hello from me if you do. Tell him Chris from the Tav. He'll know.
Just in case, hope you understand. :)

Alderney! Do you know Simon Fane? He used to do the Telegraph crossword in Bromley in the Shortlands. My old local. 🥰 I used to have a pint with him most days. He moved back to Alderney a few years back. I miss his company quite often. Proper Gent and great company. Please say hello from me if you do. Tell him Chris from the Tav. He'll know.
Just in case, hope you understand. :)
I do know him, but not mates. I'll definitely mention you to him Chris. Cheers.

Morning Mr Neophyte, they look really comfortable, but that’s a hell of a lot of joints! I like doing laminate work, and people are always impressed and want to know how it’s done, the trick if you didn’t know with that glue is that you don’t touch it until it’s set and then just break it off and remove all traces of it before varnishing, I’ve never known it to open up a joint though, interesting I’ll keep an eye on it next time. I had a problem recently using Evo stick weatherproof, it isn’t at all, so will be using the old gorilla foamy stuff a bit more for outdoor work in future .Ian

That is truly the most hideous thing I have ever seen.
It's lucky for me then that I don't give a flying fig for what you think (y) :giggle:
Well I like it John and it's given me food for thought as mine is mounted on a plain rectangle of granite so might well change that.
Some people just have no taste as well as no manners. ;)

Well I like it John and it's given me food for thought as mine is mounted on a plain rectangle of granite so might well change that.
Some people just have no taste as well as no manners. ;)
Taste is subjective so what you like and what someone else likes are rarely going to be in line with each other.
I could have been more polite and followed the default setting on this site by not saying anything and not clicking 'like' when I don't like something just like everyone else has done on the original post but the OP himself described it as 'rubbish'. Basically, I just agreed with him. I could have offered reasons for my opinion but, as you quoted, the OP doesn't care about other people's opinions.

My missus now has to work from home and I couldn't bear the idea of an Ikea desk, so I made her this. It's my first big piece apart from my work benches. It was quite a learning experience. Not entirely happy, but not unhappy either.
That is impressive, nice work. The wood looks like Ash if I'm not mistaken.

made a frame from some old pine (might possibly be douglas fir not sure)... it's me in the photo 😬

graduation_frame_colour-1.jpg

Attachments

• graduation_frame_colour-4.jpg
    graduation_frame_colour-4.jpg
    623.6 KB · Views: 29
  • graduation_frame_colour-3.jpg
    graduation_frame_colour-3.jpg
    658.6 KB · Views: 22
  • graduation_frame_colour-2.jpg
    graduation_frame_colour-2.jpg
    464 KB · Views: 23
  • graduation_frame-4.jpg
    graduation_frame-4.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 21
  • graduation_frame-1.jpg
    graduation_frame-1.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Incredible for a first project PaulArther, and dovetails, is there a drawer to follow?
Looks like American Ash, I do quite a bit with that, works nicely and reasonably priced. Ian

Back