Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I (almost) finished making a bird box.......

That looks lovely. Maybe avoid the short grain thing with the box joints if you replicate this in a piece of furniture.....

You don't really have enough lap on the lead to pin the top edges of the lower sheets with clout nails, so I suggest you use beads of silicon under it all (or a construction adhesive........eg No Nails), taking great care to keep it off the show surface of the lead. If any squeezes out let it dry before you touch it, then cut it away with a knife. Don't try and clean up before it sets.

There's many an old roofer spinning in their graves at the thought of using anything but wood to work lead. Certainly never do that on a proper roof! :)

Anyway, looks great, and I hope it gets a resident next spring.

Second attempt tonight, much better I reckon! The odd gap here and there will be filled with sawdust and glue and it will become invisible.

dsc01780.jpg

A little project between me and my bro. I have a tiny little single garage workshop and starting to turn out some nice bits and pieces. Don’t know if multi-material is a sacrilege here? 😆

Attachments

• DBDE1B01-B182-4F7F-BB63-563AE6376053.jpeg
    DBDE1B01-B182-4F7F-BB63-563AE6376053.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 84
A little project between me and my bro. I have a tiny little single garage workshop and starting to turn out some nice bits and pieces. Don’t know if multi-material is a sacrilege here? 😆

Really like that! Had a similar-ish idea for doing legs that are at an angle so it's interesting to see how the concept pans out in real life.

Really like that! Had a similar-ish idea for doing legs that are at an angle so it's interesting to see how the concept pans out in real life.
Cheers!
Yeah, my bro welded the legs up; it’s all 45’s. Quite simple, you just need the right dimensions of box section so everything fits inside everything else nicely.

Michael o_O, are you insinuating that the mighty 🐐 may be usurping someone else's work as his own? Surely these pictures have been taken within the last 24 hours using his electrogizmo dovetailer.

View attachment 91081

Bed with full width drawer on castors, out of birch plywood (although the mattress base is MDF)
looks comfy, can i ask how you did the corners, are they just glued or are there mechanical fixings and is it just the camera lens or are the sides slightly tapered? If they are well done it is a hard thing to do compund jouints

I bought a box of old saws about 5 years back, it was an impulse purchase knowing nothing about saws. Having received them most had lots of bends and waves in the saw plate that I could not remedy so they were binned. There was one old Diston that was straight but the teeth were terrible, so I filed the plate smooth and it went on a shelf.

in my recent gumtree box of goodies was an old, dirty, knackered saw vice. After attacking it with a sander, and planing the jaws flat, it’s functional. Not pretty, but functional. Oh now where did I put that saw plate!
0B69D9D5-3E33-4FE1-9FC5-E84AB02B4B74.jpeg
I I marked up a scrap piece of work with marks every 1/8th inch, clamped the scrap and plate in the vice and used a hacksaw to cut slots at the marks. The teeth were then filed a standard rip cut, keeping it simple as it’s only my second ever saw sharpening. I used a eclipse saw set to set the teeth.

629D9BCF-C8D8-4F13-A686-9483E99CBCDC.jpeg

Happy in general with the outcome, and it cuts straight, which is nice. However, as I set the teeth I heard at least half a dozen ‘snaps’ and then one tooth broke off. I set the eclipse on 10 which I though would be ok. Also some of my teeth spacing is not bob on. A learning curve, but a fun one!
FAA20EBF-18B4-428F-A082-7A3BE521DFA1.jpeg

The handle was oddly shaped and my knuckles caught on it in use so it got modified with a coping saw and a rasp.
8FB037C2-CF17-435C-B62F-331A2DB58BB3.jpeg

A fun experience and given me the confidence to look out for other saws to refurb.
F.

Back