Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MarkDennehy":267t2ltn said:
Got an 18g brad nailer the other day (to go with the cutest little 6L draper air compressor which is the biggest one that'll fit in the shed) and knocked up a *very* quick-n-dirty planter out of offcuts - there'll be no visits to the garden center for a while since we're in lockdown until next month over here, so we're making do :)

2020-04-10-17.26.39a.jpg

Granted, not fine furniture but it beats what we were using till now :D
Mark thats a nice planter. For those side panels have you thought about having them the other way up (I.e. tongue at the top) as the way you got it at the moment any water will sit in the groove and rot it quicker than it needed to?

It probably will rot it to be honest, I was only planning on these lasting six months at most. I think the plywood ends will go before the sides. But I do like having the groove on top, I'm hoping it gives me somewhere to put slug pellets and salt to keep the little gits off my basil :D

My attempt at making an end grain chopping board.

IMG_20200414_070857.jpg

IMG_20200414_070920.jpg

More difficult than I thought some of my cuts are just a fraction out of square, which are exaggerated upon gluing up. Took a few pass on the planer to make the blocks a bit more square.

Also my "scrap" hardwood are all only about 18mm thick at most. Would have been nice if they were 40mm+ thick so they can be squared.

The bigger one is a mix of cherry, walnut, tulipwood, and sapele. The smaller one is a mix of cherry, ash, and sapele. Finished in food grade mineral oil. Need a second coat when the first one is set.

Now I understand why they are so expensive in the shops. So much wood, so much work! :-D

Adrian

Attachments

• IMG_20200414_070857.jpg
    IMG_20200414_070857.jpg
    915.5 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20200414_070920.jpg
    IMG_20200414_070920.jpg
    670.2 KB · Views: 191
Second ever bowl.
Didn't turn out too badly, given that I was using the scraper upside down inside the bowl for a good 30 seconds before realising that it wasn't working right.... /facepalm

2020-04-13-18.51.54a.jpg

2020-04-13-18.51.47a.jpg

2020-04-13-18.52.20a.jpg

Sycamore, with poppyseed oil, a coat of lemon shellac and a quick beeswax polish over the top.

(yes that's the faceplate screwhole in the rim. Not enough room on the blank to fully erase those :( Next time, between centers to create the tenon...)

In the spirit of making do with what's around during the lockdown, I made a side bench for the kitchen. We had intended to get a new kitchen in but who knows when that will happen so I threw this together as a stop gap. Not the finest piece, but serviceable.
It's some pine I had lying around and an offcut of mfc for the top. The oddly low cross bearers at the bottom are for easier access for storage underneath. They do look a bit weird to my eye though.

Attachments

• IMG_20200413_163705_copy_1843x1382.jpg
    IMG_20200413_163705_copy_1843x1382.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 120
20200412_144653 (Medium).jpg

Can you tell what it is yet? As is obvious to only me, myself & I, the handle has a tongue and groove for added strength but is concealed so externally it looks like it's just gone straight in. I told the better half all about it. She was* impressed!

*my pants are, indeed, on fire.

Attachments

• 20200412_144653 (Medium).jpg
    20200412_144653 (Medium).jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 157
Socially distant compliant spanker, actually. Or made to hold 4 slices of bread at one time. Not sure. Or both... just not concurrently!

Ahhh. Gotcha. Nice... I have a couple of them by the doors in my house front and rear. Not as nicely made lol. Less made. More dried hardwood branches of the right length and weight that are easily disposable in the woods behind my house or the many rivers round here if you can't pick a more worthy career choice than robbery that the kids possibly picked up last week on a nature walk your honour after all I wasn't out at night burgalarising someone else's property and never have so it's a bit vague legally isn't it.
Like your style.

IMG_20200414_130621.jpg

Three horizons, 62 x 37 cm, mixed media: Epson UtraChrome K3 on Innova FibaPrint White Matte; pencil, ink and gouache; sweet chestnut and steamed beech.

Attachments

• IMG_20200414_130621.jpg
    IMG_20200414_130621.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 260
That's fair enough, Owen. There's not a lot to get tbh - it's a combination of three ways I've been working in recent years - photography, which I used to do a lot; drawing, which I've always sort of done; and wooden sculpture which I only started thinking about a couple of years ago when I started working with wood.
It's three views of the sea. The photo image is done with about 1 second exposure using neutral density filter, so you get the blurring of the waves over the second. The drawing's done with my eyes closed, from memory - sometimes it creates good shapes, sometimes it doesn't. And the wooden horizon's something I've been playing with mainly because I like wood and i find the simple forms pleasing.
The three are different, I'm quite happy with the contrasts between technologies in the view.
The main reason I did it is because i can't get to the workshop, so I'm sat at home fiddling with what I've got around at home. But also, I've increasingly found myself getting unhappy with the round things I'm making on the lathe. Just one of those things, i suppose.
So there isn't a lot to get, it's just what it is. I quite like it and plan on doing more, maybe even beyond the end of the lockdown!
C

ps On a personal note, I've realised since lockdown how much i depend on the sea for my sense of wellbeing. We need to drive to get there, so can't. and I'm missing it.

Well *I* liked it. It's a nice contrast to the normal picture frame look. Wish the horizontal element was a fraction higher, it seems like it shouldn't clip the rocks, but honestly, that's the sort of thing you'd expect to see hanging on a public wall somewhere.

Back