Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walnut offcut segmented bin :D

pikL107l.jpg

:arrow: Kirso, looks good mate =D>
Keep at it :D

:arrow: Thetyreman, love the box =D>

:arrow: Fitzroy, good simple solid bench. Job done =D>

A Box made out of iroko but was stained for the garden seeds and a coat of wax for a bit of shine and another tray out of oak (bottom is oak veneered plywood)

Oli

Attachments

• IMG_20171004_112908799a.jpg
    IMG_20171004_112908799a.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20171004_112945862a.jpg
    IMG_20171004_112945862a.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20171004_113144776a.jpg
    IMG_20171004_113144776a.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 126
Naz
Wales scroll saw job excellent idea, looks brill =D> :D

Must have a go myself; but make Menai Straights more prominent
Just back from a short break twixt Beaumaris and Menai Bridge

Cordy":1bzskx85 said:
Must have a go myself; but make Menai Straights more prominent
It was a choice of leaving the Straits 'silted up' or throwing Anglesey in the scrap bin along with Bardsey Island and some of the other smaller rocks. (Meh, I'm never going to Bardsey anyway) :-D

DTR":1bzskx85 said:
Ok, you got me. Now it's your turn to hide and I'll count to 100.....
You're in Essex and you can count to 100? You must be at least as old as I am then? (I was born in Billericay and lived in Laindon until my late 20's) :-D

phil.p":1bzskx85 said:
Well, I suppose someone has to be. :D
It was a choice between staying in Essex or moving here. No contest really, have you seen these members from Essex? Dodgy lot. :-D

NazNomad":2yxmr6p8 said:
I was born in Billericay and lived in Laindon until my late 20's) :-D

Did you...

Had a love affair with Nina
In the back of my Cortina

?

I played that at the weekend!

Pete

I lined the microphone box with felt and card using the methods posted by custard, instead of suede it's purple felt, but for my next box project I'm definitely trying the suede.

Attachments

• mahogany_box_daylight-1.jpg
    mahogany_box_daylight-1.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 326
  • mahogany_box_daylight-2.jpg
    mahogany_box_daylight-2.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 326
  • mahogany_box_daylight-3.jpg
    mahogany_box_daylight-3.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 326
Racers":dqazbfm7 said:
NazNomad":dqazbfm7 said:
I was born in Billericay and lived in Laindon until my late 20's) :-D

Did you...

Had a love affair with Nina
In the back of my Cortina

?

I played that at the weekend!

Pete

A seasoned up hyena
Could not have been more obscener!

Another box, first hand cut dovetails. I wouldn't make a living from it very slow and there was a few gap, but first a first attempt i am very pleased.

Top and bottom is maple the side were in the scrap bin at the timber yard ( i suspect to be sapele)

Oli

Attachments

• IMG_20171018_210436920.jpg
    IMG_20171018_210436920.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_20171018_211047356.jpg
    IMG_20171018_211047356.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_20171018_210413953.jpg
    IMG_20171018_210413953.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_20171018_211145411.jpg
    IMG_20171018_211145411.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 173
I'm not sure if it's the last thing I made but I thought I'd post some photos of the (pretty much) finished campervan conversion.

I was up against a pretty strict deadline to finish this and of course it took longer than I intended. The drawers and kitchen cabinets were the most time consuming part. I finished the same day I was due to leave for France for two weeks with the family. It didn't skip a beat the entire time and housed us all pretty comfortably (although living in such a confined space with a toddler got old pretty quickly).

The cot for the baby was something of a challenge; I didn't want something permanent and also wanted something that could be stowed when she wasn't there. The solution was to cut one of the sides off an old crib in half and when it was time to put her to bed, it could be pegged and wedged in place. It's actually pretty sturdy and took a fair amount of baby/toddler induced abuse.

Aside from that, it's a comfortable camper and ideal for lone trips. All it really needs is some details finished off (around the rooflight etc) and some paint on the kitchen/storage areas. I might also put a log burner in; haven't been out in it in the winter yet but I'm pretty sure that'd be a welcome addition, especially after being in the sea.

Qa3bCNC.jpg

J64bUjX.jpg

bgSXoNx.jpg

F4tFjq9.jpg

vFVsG6u.jpg

Ve0ft8i.jpg

This one's bigger than the last one I showed (same colour detail, and pine and oak again, the top's about 80 x 50 cm) and has a second set of cross pieces/ members (not sure what they're called), I thought it looked better this way and would be stronger.
_MG_6093 (3).jpg

I finally made a reasonable job of planing some difficult grain on the top (thanks for the advice on that one) and struggled planing the thinner set of cross pieces because they were so narrow.
Maple next!

Attachments

• _MG_6093 (3).jpg
    _MG_6093 (3).jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 127
I have built myself a bench and it's rather solid!

Legs are 4 inch square, It's 64" long, 21" deep. The top is 38.5" from the floor and 3.5" thick.

bench-leg.png

Gluing up got difficult quickly, especially with the weight. Luckily the wife was visiting her mother so I did it all in the living room.
I'm using one of the upstairs bedrooms for my work area as I don't have a garage or anything, dragging
the top upstairs, alone, was not fun. Then I had to lift it onto the legs!

It doesn't move at all.

I've got stretchers on the legs front and back but nothing on the sides, I don't know if I need to add them
because it's rock solid as it is. I've tried shoving it from the ends and front and it doesn't give at all. Will that
stiffness wear off resulting in wobble? I haven't glued the stretchers in - they're' through 'tenons', you can see
the 'mortices' below, two for each leg. The top isn't glued or permanently attached to the legs as yet either.

benchyg1.png

Flattening the top is a task and a half,

benchy1.png

Looking for a reasonably priced vice now, perhaps two, one for the end and one for the front. I'd appreciate any suggestions. (Budget is low).
I'm fairly pleased with myself, I had been toying with getting one of those £99 benches made from hardwood but I've seen enough reviews to
put me off them. One showed the vice ripping off the panel it was attached to. Glad I had a go myself.

Not sure what finish to put on, was thinking Danish oil. Any suggestions?

I'll try to get a half decent 'full picture' tomorrow.

If my suggestion is not too late, is it possible to make the legs and frame detachable, nice looking job but things could get difficult bringing back downstairs in the future.

Latest posts

Back