Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doris":182a9pf9 said:

Just finished this trophy for a friend who's sun has just qualified as a tree surgeon.

Another little gem, excellent detailing on the chainsaw too! A very nice item to have in you're display case.
Regards Rodders

Racers":3sxrjhzp said:
Mike Bremner":3sxrjhzp said:
Very nicely done. I might need to add a shavehorse to my long list of projects! I've actually got a few axe heads lying around waiting for the day I get around to handling them.

I know its cheating but I bought an axe handle from Amazon, http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_ ... 1447098572

The quality was very good.

Pete

I had a look at a couple of handles in a store but the eye was so big on this axe head that none fitted so I had no choice but to DIY.

Even the store bought ones need to be individually fitted so I don't think there is a big time difference to be honest.

Just finished and delivered this cabinet in Oak.

Oak Cabinet2015-11-10 08.14.54.jpg

I have to say I'm not wildly enthusiastic about it. It was made for a friend who has a load of M&S furniture and wanted this cabinet to match. The M&S one was 100mm to long.

Not much fun copying someone else work but hey ho!! It was well paid.

Attachments

• Oak Cabinet2015-11-10 08.14.54.jpg
    Oak Cabinet2015-11-10 08.14.54.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 293
Zeddedhed":2yfpp8g2 said:

I have to say I'm not wildly enthusiastic about it. It was made for a friend who has a load of M&S furniture and wanted this cabinet to match. The M&S one was 100mm to long.

I see what you mean in style, but the craftsmanship's still there!
An excellent job,
Any idea of hours at all? You should get A big Christmas card this year!
Rodders

Thanks for that Rodders.
I've just taken a proper look at the photo and it really doesn't do it any favours does it?
The boards actually match up much better than they look in terms of colour and grain - bad lighting and indifferent photography methinks.

Total hours would be approximately 18 or so to get it ready for finishing, then probably another 3 or 4 hours oiling (Osmo PolyX Clear Matt)

Too slow I know, but I find it easy to get distracted and go slow when I'm not enthusiastic about a project.

It's good to be able to appreciate the quality of workmanship in a design for others, it looks good, but it ain't pretty!
I've made stuff for others I don't like too, but I still try and do it well.
18 hours, or 2 days doesn't seem too long for that, and it's a one off!
Regards Rodders

Very nice, There's something special about oak, isn't there? And something different with the glass too!
What was the glazing requirement there to comply with building regs, was Toughened good enough?
Regards Rodders

blackrodd":2c076y4t said:
Very nice, There's something special about oak, isn't there? And something different with the glass too!
What was the glazing requirement there to comply with building regs, was Toughened good enough?
Regards Rodders

Yes always makes a nice staircase oak I prefer the European variety. The glass is 10mm toughened heat soaked. I'm not sure what the heat soaking does but it was specced. All gaps to meet the less than 100mm sphere test,
Cheers

Jon

The Heat Soaking process is a method of reducing the incidence of spontaneous breakage in tempered glass caused by nickel sulphide. .... Apparently.

JonnyD":2wpz727c said:
Oak staircase just completed with glass inset panels

Cheers

Jon
Very nice that Jon...... How did you hold the glass in place. I can see a groove...... Or did you make the slots the same size as the glass? Are they deeper in the handrail so you can lift the glass and drop into the bottom?

Zeddedhed":2ixetskt said:
Thanks for that Rodders.
I've just taken a proper look at the photo and it really doesn't do it any favours does it?
The boards actually match up much better than they look in terms of colour and grain - bad lighting and indifferent photography methinks.

Total hours would be approximately 18 or so to get it ready for finishing, then probably another 3 or 4 hours oiling (Osmo PolyX Clear Matt)

Too slow I know, but I find it easy to get distracted and go slow when I'm not enthusiastic about a project.

Nice, even shut lines, and 18 hours is none too shabby. Another vote for PolyX Clear Matt by the way (versus Satin or Gloss), I'm loving it on open grained timbers like Oak and Walnut, understated and elegant with a distinctively contemporary and professional look.

Zeddedhed":4mbe3nwt said:

Not to my taste but great job

Phill joiner":1a55smnb said:
JonnyD":1a55smnb said:
Oak staircase just completed with glass inset panels

Cheers

Jon
Very nice that Jon...... How did you hold the glass in place. I can see a groove...... Or did you make the slots the same size as the glass? Are they deeper in the handrail so you can lift the glass and drop into the bottom?

Hi Phil it's pretty much as you guessed a 10.75mm groove for 10mm glass . There is a deeper groove in the handrail to allow for getting them in .

Cheers

Jon

I cannot believe you have no responses to this fantastic Ostrich!
Seriously there you go again with a very, very good carving.
The essence of an Elephant. Absolutely delightful, a fine example to all wood be carvers.

Thanks for showing just what can be done.
xy

I love the way it's front right foot is just lifting off the ground - it makes it appear to be on the move. Very clever and extremely elephantine. I wish I could carve.

Back