Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8C862653-FB05-4094-ACD3-78AC4E0B68E4.jpeg
I made a sign to go on my workshop wall in the background of some of my videos.
It was the first time I’d tried freehand routing, heavy stain in the letters so they’re still 3D (instead of filing with epoxy), burned and sanded a couple of times, then Treatex hard wax ultra over the whole thing to see what it was like.

I’m calling the many imperfections ‘rustic’ 😂

Last thing I made was flowers for Valentines day - inspired by a Youtube video, the petals are just thick plane shavings from the side of a scaffold board, cut into roughly round 'petal' shapes with scissors and hot-glued onto the wooden stem. The vase is (I think?) African Mahogany with the light strip being the best quality old scaffold board ;)

WoodenFlowers.png

Last thing I made was flowers for Valentines day - inspired by a Youtube video, the petals are just thick plane shavings from the side of a scaffold board, cut into roughly round 'petal' shapes with scissors and hot-glued onto the wooden stem. The vase is (I think?) African Mahogany with the light strip being the best quality old scaffold board ;)

View attachment 131265
Thats beautiful 😍

That's a beautiful gate that. 👏
Won't people just walk under it though?
😉
If your very short you might of got away with it.
I had to set it up to check my hinges worked with the closing stiles gap, it’s a job to know how long to set the pin length at on the post even with it rodded out, so a few tack welds to start and offer it up.
hence the full workshop Install.

A small chest of Oak based on a Viking sea chest found at an archaeological dig at Hedeby Harbour, Germany. The design really appealed to me so I adapted it for a small box. These chests were not just used for personal effects but also tool storage and as a rowing bench on board. Mine is only 30cm long so couldn't be used as a bench but is still quite multi-functional.
IMG_0271.JPG
IMG_0275.JPG
IMG_0276.JPG

Not woodwork but directly involved. A home made riving knife for my table saw out of 2mm stainless steel. Most cutting with a angle grinder with a metal slitting disc and a fare amount of filing. Works well and much safer than before. Strange shape allows 'cowl' to be mounted and adjusted to horizontal: took a little working out.
Martin.

View attachment 130960View attachment 130961
Can it balance a ball on its nose?

Another bit of Hawthorn today, decided to have a bit of fun with the finish and actually really like the outcome
20220311_152013.jpg
20220312_142211.jpg
20220312_142237.jpg
20220312_142257.jpg
20220312_142309.jpg
20220312_142317.jpg

Bottom (egg) half is sanded to 600 then 2 passes with abrasive paste and finished with 2 coats of hardwax, the "trumpet" I sanded to 320 and finished with linseed oil, I love the texture contrast from the glass smooth wax to the oiled wood and I'm totally in love with the colours of finished Hawthorn.

I love to turn Hawthorn but I've only been lucky enough to have small pieces for pots etc. Some will no doubt arrive in the firewood delivery soon.
It's nice but very very dusty, I'd say I get almost as much dust from it as when I turn silver birch. I think it also has one of the biggest colour changes when finished going from a creamy colour to warm brown. I only have a couple of bits left in my store, need to see if I can find some more out in the pile.

Back