Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a couple of tables for a bar, one of which is a very long (2.6m) 'Sommelier' table which for the un-cultured like myself, is a wine expert.

View attachment 128882
View attachment 128883
View attachment 128884
View attachment 128885
View attachment 128886
They're not fully finished yet. They'll be ebonised, bronze socks painted onto the tapered legs and a cnc cut fluted surround apron fitted onto the plywood upper section.
Looks interesting. What is the purpose of the circular indentations on the table top?

Aye. They'll be in the restaurant/bar as you go in, full of different wines.
Red in the smaller front ones (room temp)
White in jackets to keep cool at the back.
Then the Sommelier will presumably tell you which wine goes best with your chips. 😊👍

Well, today was not a good day, as I've shown my successes I will show my failure too, I recently saw YouTube vid where the Turner made a sphere with a ring similar to Saturn and I thought a piece of my cherry would look amazing so off I went, I got outside shape fairly close to round and sanded up to 320, I should have stopped there for the day but I stupidly kept going and ended up taking too much from the wall and ended up with a tiny dish instead.
20220207_210611.jpg
20220207_210617.jpg
20220207_210624.jpg
20220207_210633.jpg

Many thanks for providing the link. I went to the YouTubers blog and discovered the plans were pdf as part of a whole document. As I was intending to use my laser cutter I downloaded the PDF, image cropped out one of the plans then converted it to SVG vector format. Now that I have it as an SVG it is scallable to any size and easy to tweak the design. I decided I would make it a bit more delicate by using the same perforated heart design for the back as for the front and modified the insert pieces to match. I changed the round holes in the large cog (yes it is a cog as it is made of wood) to be hearts as well.
This is my quick attempt this morning.
tempImage636GoK.jpg

It is a bit smaller than the origional at 30mm high. I used a 4mm thick slice of maple and the insert are glued with CA glue.. The pins are the same maple taken down to 2.3mm with sand paper in a chuck. They are a press fit in the 2mm holes I put in the hearts and the holes in the cogs are 2.3 so a good fit but not tight. It is a very satisfying fiddle toy :) I used a needle file to clean the laser burn off of the outside edge but left it in the cutout as it adds some nice contrast to it. It is finished with Libron wax

IMG_2602.jpeg

I will do another one and modify the hanging loop to replace it with a metal ring captured in the upper insert. I don't think the wood loop will hold up too long.

A steady is something I rarely use but each time I have needed one I've only had a rickety one that I made about twenty years ago. So, I thought I might use some off-cuts to knock one up. The plastic bar that is in the chuck on the lathe is what I turned the outer wheels from then inserted sealed bearings and attached the with M6 x 8mm collared bolts. I have one project that I need it for then it will probably wait another year befoe I use it again.

P1070229.jpg

P1070227.jpg

Finally finished this small garden bench, started it a good few months ago! Made of oak. 1st time doing draw bore mortise and tenons, and made the dowels with a dowel plate. Some sloppy joinery that I wasn’t happy overall with, but the pegs seemed to help stiffen it up, so we’ll just have to see how long it lasts outside :LOL: also I put some epoxy on the bottom of the legs to hopefully stop it drawing water up through them. Inspired by a bench made by mena woodwork as well so credit to their design!B330F547-1929-47DE-9415-3CF4633F2F10.jpeg5FFFD126-5D54-4019-A55A-C0F83BAB5EE9.jpeg00A2C4E6-D8CA-4F65-BD40-4837FC9B98D0.jpeg2EC9AB91-1893-49FB-905B-9004A952EAE0.jpeg

After an annual inspection of the schools PE and gym equipment one of the benches needed a new foot and another was condemned, after the engineer came and replaced the foot I made sure I grabbed the old one before he put it in the bin, once I cut it up I was left with a flat board and 2 small blocks,
20220208_081159.jpg
20220208_081232.jpg

Today I put one of the small blocks on the lathe and turned a small bowl, then I put the board on and turned a plate, the base is sanded to 320, abrasive paste then hard wax, I turned it and hollowed it, so far it's sanded to 120. The small blocks I think may be oak but I'm not sure, as for the board, I have no idea but the grain is stunning,
20220210_192551.jpg
20220210_192548.jpg
20220210_192536.jpg
20220210_192531.jpg
20220210_192524.jpg

The small blocks I think may be oak but I'm not sure, as for the board, I have no idea but the grain is stunning,
I agree that the grain is stunning and I don't have a clue what it is either. The two small bowls I think are beech and keeping the tenon in place was a nice move in my opinion.

I agree that the grain is stunning and I don't have a clue what it is either. The two small bowls I think are beech and keeping the tenon in place was a nice move in my opinion.
Thanks, I wanted to keep it's origin within the piece if that makes sense, plus the tenon went right through so couldn't turn it away, next week I will be cutting up the condemned bench and over the next year or so the PE teacher is planning to replace all 6 benches so I'll have loads to play with 😁

Wasn't going to post this as it's just a simple job but it had a nice story behind it lol

A customer came in just looking for a piece of hardwood for table tops for a couple of bedside tables, he had already bought hairpin legs & just needed a nice piece of wood for the tops. He thought Oak would be nice & as we talked about how he would go about making the tops it turned into could I cut the tops, chamfer the edges, attach the legs & give them a suitable finish.
He then asked if he could look at what wood I had & I told him that as he was looking for quite chunky tops I didn't have any suitable Oak but it was easy enough for me to pick up a nice piece. Seeming not content he had a look at what I had & after a few that's not going to be wide enough, that's not long enough to cut 2 tops from the size you want (none of which was Oak either) he spotted the bit of old snooker table that I cleaned up recently & posted on here to find out what wood it was.
As soon as I mentioned it was a part of an old snooker table his ears pricked up, when I mentioned that it had come from a place in Cowdenbeath his mind was made up & that was the wood he wanted used, he thinks that he actually played on this snooker table as a Kid lol
Thought that made a really interesting story & no doubt he will be able to tell all his friends stories about his time playing snooker on that table lolBedside tables1.jpgbedside tables2.jpg

Back