Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little play on the lathe, a 1/12 scale model of an 18th century British 24lb naval canon. Found original full size blueprints online and scaled them down. All oak inc barrel, with metalwork handmade from various bits lying around the workshop. Just got the rope to make to finish off the detail.

Finished model has 290mm long barrel.

View attachment 124204
Have you fired it!

So today I'd planned to make some smaller Xmas trees with a few scraps of pine 2x2 left over from some work we had done a while ago, twice the trees fell apart as I turned them so all the 2x2 is now on the fire pit pile, after getting very frustrated I put a piece of oak on the worm screw and went to it, I had originally planned to have the traditional layers but once I had removed the bulk I really liked the grain figure so just cleaned it up and hit with wax. Probably took half hour start to finish.
View attachment 124214View attachment 124215View attachment 124216
Really nice - your showing up my lack of time on the lathe!!

That looks amazing
Novelty bandsaw box for my 8 year old granddaughter, my first attempt at a bandsaw box and I made a few mistakes but a learning curve and little Alice can't see them and loves it, her little face lit up when I gave it this evening :) hopefully something else to treasure when I'm deed and gorn, not that I'm planning to do that any time soon. Stands about 250 x 125 x 150mm

View attachment 124084View attachment 124085View attachment 124086
that looks amazing!! That's definitely going to be my next project

In the 60s our primary school caretaker was called Skip, he was a great bloke and very popular. He used to light a coke boiler every morning and stoke it through the day. One 'punishment' was to help him stoke it during playtime which was great fun - different times...

So I've had a great day today, took a dozen of my creations into school for the staff to buy and sold all but 4 of them by lunch, the headteacher bought the conical oak Xmas tree and asked if I could make two more smaller ones to go with it so it would be a set of 3 different sizes so this afternoon I did just that, I forgot to take pics but she has just sent me a picture of them in place.
IMG-20211215-WA0003.jpg

I made 2 more but not overly happy with them so won't be selling them, I gave them to the other half instead
20211215_211656.jpg

Also made a bowl from some very checked silver birch as a birthday present for one of the teachers, I filled the cracks with glue before sanding and finishing, I decided to experiment a little with the finish and mixed a little walnut oil with an equal part furniture wax and I have to say I quite like the look, almost a satin sheen that smooth to touch.

Just finished the wifes Christmas present. It will get filled up with ferero rocher for the day. It's basically a Paul Sellars desk tidy box. I made one last year for my daughter and my wife decided she wanted one too. However then the special requests came along. It had to be a light wood, so that would be maple then. It had to have those little tiny dovetails. I didn't want it to be too bland so snagged a bit of birds eye from johnnyb. The birdseye was a bit soft so i hardened the nasty bits with super glue. The birdseye is finished with water based laquer and rubbed out to a glass finish. The plain, it's actually got a nice bit of figure, maple is finished with danish oil. 100% hand tool including deminsioning the timber.
tempImagexQDa5P.jpg

tempImageW3ngPK.jpg
tempImageEo8767.jpg
tempImageXSSMc0.jpg

@paulrbarnard that's beautiful. I only just started the other half present today and to be honest it's scaring the cr@p out of me at the minute, I mounted it between centres then had to use a small plane to remove some high spots, then on my lowest speed (450) I had to chase the lathe around the garage while I rounded it off, it bounced so much that even now with it "rounded" it still wobbles isn't perfectly round to the centres.
20211216_143311.jpg
20211216_143314.jpg
20211216_143317.jpg
20211216_153630.jpg
20211216_153632.jpg
20211216_153635.jpg
20211216_165052.jpg
20211216_165054.jpg
20211216_165056.jpg
20211216_165058.jpg

@paulrbarnard that's beautiful. I only just started the other half present today and to be honest it's scaring the cr@p out of me at the minute, I mounted it between centres then had to use a small plane to remove some high spots, then on my lowest speed (450) I had to chase the lathe around the garage while I rounded it off, it bounced so much that even now with it "rounded" it still wobbles isn't perfectly round to the centres.
View attachment 124347View attachment 124348View attachment 124349View attachment 124350View attachment 124351View attachment 124352View attachment 124353View attachment 124354View attachment 124355View attachment 124356
You use a plane to take off the high spots? I might give that a go. I’m trying to turn some cherry disks but only have a metal working lathe and the rough size of the disks is bigger than the cross slide can deal with. Knocking a bit off with a plane would let me get at it with a lathe tool.

You use a plane to take off the high spots? I might give that a go. I’m trying to turn some cherry disks but only have a metal working lathe and the rough size of the disks is bigger than the cross slide can deal with. Knocking a bit off with a plane would let me get at it with a lathe tool.
A good excuse for an electric chain saw.:LOL:

Lovely box Paul (y)that top is a great looking piece of timber and the finish is rather nice to, the draw pull adds a real quality to the finished piece :)

Stig, if you use out of balance stuff (that's probably a bit larger than the the lathe was designed for :) ) it's not a bad idea to counterbore the centre mounts a little - the piece can't fly off then.
I made sure the drive and live centres were very well sunk into the wood, I was more concerned the wood might explode from the centrifugal forces, the wood has been outside for almost 3 years and spent the last 6 months in my boiler room drying out, there's virtually no moisture left in it so I was very surprised to see the lathe run across the floor when I turned it on.

View attachment 124347View attachment 124348View attachment 124349View attachment 124350View attachment 124351View attachment 124352View attachment 124353View attachment 124354View attachment 124355View attachment 124356
Thats about as ambitious as you can get on that lathe. The stand is a bit light so likely not helping either. I also sometimes resort to an electric plane to take off the high spots on out of balance blanks. For those wanting to try this its with the lathe stopped. Skim some off, spin up and if still too much bounce stop, identify heavy point and repeat. The heavy point rotates to the bottom if you take the belt tension off. Easy to do on those lathes where the weight of the motor supplies the tension.
Regards
John

Back