• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Reaction score
Asymmetric turning #2
Was asked to make a retirement presentation bowl for someone from the local Sea Cadets.
The requirements were a bowl but had to be shaped like the Isle of Anglesey!
A bit of head scratching and I came up with this :-

IMG_20190925_174427.jpg
IMG_20190925_174440.jpg
IMG_20191010_153517.jpg

Striped Sapele probably not the best choice but Turned out ok, (pardon the pun)

Stigmorgan

Established Member
Reaction score

Alun Caerdydd

Reaction score
First post on this very informative forum. I feel a bit intimidated seeing the superb work here and in my own defence have to say I don’t have a lot of gear other than my trim router, no 5 plane some chisels and workmate. I’ve renovated three late 19th century /early 20th century chisels as a gift and made my first box to hold them from an old sycamore plank.

Attachments

NickDReed

Established Member
Reaction score
First time I've done anything on a lathe since school. Bought the lathe with several gouges including a large Sorby roughing gouge with no handle. So..... Old bit of oak banister and an hour and a half later.
IMG_20211207_202712.jpg
IMG_20211207_202624.jpg

Pretty please with it. If anyone has a link to some suitable epoxy for setting the gouge in I'd appreciate it. Also if anyone has an idea about what to use as a metal ring prevent the neck from splitting advice would be welcomed

Droogs

Is that chisel shar ... Ow
Reaction score
I always burn new handles on to the tang, was how I was taught and don't know any other way that works long term other than epoxy

Stigmorgan

Established Member
Reaction score
First time I've done anything on a lathe since school. Bought the lathe with several gouges including a large Sorby roughing gouge with no handle. So..... Old bit of oak banister and an hour and a half later. View attachment 123621View attachment 123622

Pretty please with it. If anyone has a link to some suitable epoxy for setting the gouge in I'd appreciate it. Also if anyone has an idea about what to use as a metal ring prevent the neck from splitting advice would be welcomed
As @Droogs Said, burn it in or use an epoxy, for the ferrule you could use a piece of copper or brass pipe

mikej460

Established Member
Reaction score
First post on this very informative forum. I feel a bit intimidated seeing the superb work here and in my own defence have to say I don’t have a lot of gear other than my trim router, no 5 plane some chisels and workmate. I’ve renovated three late 19th century /early 20th century chisels as a gift and made my first box to hold them from an old sycamore plank.
Lovely job, I do like sycamore. Where did you get the nice catch?

Stigmorgan

Established Member
Reaction score
Pottering on the lathe the last few days, got a few things roughed out ready to finish, today I took an Iroko pallet block and had a go at a Xmas tree, im pretty happy with the shape, a few holes and cracks filled with glue and sawdust, 2 cherry pots and an oak one on the lathe ready for sanding.
20211207_183227.jpg

Alun Caerdydd

Reaction score
I took the catch off a box that once held a bottle of wine. I had ordered some brass ones online but they looked awful. I found it difficult to source good hinges and catches. Maybe more experienced members and box makers will be able to help. Thanks Mike.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
Reaction score
I took the catch off a box that once held a bottle of wine. I had ordered some brass ones online but they looked awful. I found it difficult to source good hinges and catches. Maybe more experienced members and box makers will be able to help. Thanks Mike.

akirk

Established Member
Reaction score
I just finished these plant pot stands for presents. The three from the left are of a mystery wood reclaimed from a neighbours garden table and the far right is reclaimed Sapele window frame and is slightly thicker than the others as it was the prototype. They are 550mm high and take a 220mm pot.

View attachment 123764
They look fantastic - do you have any other photos showing how they are made?

kinverkid

Established Member
Reaction score
They look fantastic - do you have any other photos showing how they are made?
This is my original sketch which I only changed slightly once we found a source for the pots (Wilko). I was going to dovetail the cross-members into the legs but went for mechanical fixing (screw) wood plug. Stained with Natural Mahogany spirit stain and finished with spray lacquer.

P1060450.jpg

P1060456.jpg
P1060455.jpg