Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made this aluminium insert with guide blocks for the bandsaw with the help of a mate, not my idea but one I came across on Instagram but as it seemed to have merit I thought worth a try.

View attachment 118055

View attachment 118053

View attachment 118054

Purely for straight cuts in particular deep cutting, I’m trying a type of nylon used for wear strips at the mo for the guide blocks but am thinking of trying Lignum Vitae when I get time.

Great job.
Could you do one more for me? :)
How much you would charge?
if I like to order one to fit it into my?

This is my first attempt at small box making and i wanted to integrate it with Kumiko decoration. These experimental boxes are elm with maple kumiko panels. The lining on the hexagonal box is also maple; the lining on the rectangular box is cedar.

The hexagonal box lid is 'open' i.e. no backing to the kumiko panel so it could be used for pot pourri (a throw back to the 1980's). The other has is a backing to keep out the dust.

View attachment 118058

Are they honestly your first attempt?
They look absolutely amazing

Are they honestly your first attempt?
They look absolutely amazing
Thank you
These are the first trinket sized boxes I've made. I wanted to have a go with the masking tape method I watched in this Mike Farrington video. I've a fair bit of experience with the Kumiko panels now so it was more an exercise to make sure I could get the angles of the box sides accurately cut. They were a fun project and a great way of using some off-cuts. I think I know what may be the Christmas gifts for the extended family this year :)

Great job.
Could you do one more for me? :)
How much you would charge?
if I like to order one to fit it into my?
You’d be better getting one made locally, I made mine at a mates as I don’t have a miller but I still had to fettle it at the lathe to get it to friction fit the table opening when I got it back to my shop.

A quick plane till, finally a place to keep them rather than just lying around.
1F834E94-2B98-4622-80CC-4A2360013ADE.jpeg

What happens why you get another plane?!!

Cheers James
I always overthink things, so typically I’d have:
- Made it twice oversize, for the other planes that are on my ‘need’ list.
- Made it from oak with unnecessary joinery so it would last a lifetime.
- Glued it and screwed it, just in case.
- Built a sketchup model with accuracy to three decimal places.
- etc

It was super refreshing to make something by eye, with no measurements, and in a reasonable period of time.
Fitz.

Lots of workshop sorting out at the mo. After figuring out how to sharpen the chisels, and picking up a couple of extra sizes, the morticer is now firmly in service. Not a full rebuild but broken down into parts, derusted, degreased, and desawdusted, and rebuilt. Works well, and will do 19mm mortices in oak without too much effort.
89A66C97-E93C-40A1-83EA-CE3599CE9A68.jpeg

Another in a series of very random projects. This one being a Xylophone.
Maple body and Iroko keys with a brass crown inlay, which is a first too as I've never done any inlay work.

Body ended up being doweled rather than any finer form of joinery just because it was already dragging on a bit. With the internal panel (not seen) and the handles overlapping the joins it's probably more than sturdy enough.

Tuning the keys is a bit of a job in itself, spindle sander a must imo and despite all the info I found saying to scallop with a bandsaw first that just always seemed a bit gung ho for me.

IMG_20210920_205511.jpg

IMG_20210920_210247.jpg

Made this aluminium insert with guide blocks for the bandsaw with the help of a mate, not my idea but one I came across on Instagram but as it seemed to have merit I thought worth a try.

View attachment 118055

Purely for straight cuts in particular deep cutting, I’m trying a type of nylon used for wear strips at the mo for the guide blocks but am thinking of trying Lignum Vitae when I get time.

sorry to say but that seems like a really really bad idea beautifully exicuted.

There are good reasons why every bandsaw I ever seen or heard of has guide blocks under the table, they allow sawdust to drop through the table and for it to drop away or for a little to accumulate on the blocks without effecting the cut.

What problems are they going to solve?

Elm bowl 200mm diameter. Rough turned wet, dried and then finished using Satin Treatex.

Biggest learning point was to wet turn the mounting spigot as large as will fit it the jaws as by the time it had dried the resulting turned round spigot was only just gripped by the jaws and led to a rather small base.
5B3E6A77-0B85-4843-8ABF-41A76EE2F3C9.jpeg
54B324B1-70D4-4C64-BFC4-4DCAE89BFE5C.jpeg

Elm bowl 200mm diameter. Rough turned wet, dried and then finished using Satin Treatex.

Biggest learning point was to wet turn the mounting spigot as large as will fit it the jaws as by the time it had dried the resulting turned round spigot was only just gripped by the jaws and led to a rather small base.View attachment 118381View attachment 118382
A beautifully shaped bowl, skilfully turned and finished. The proportions look just right to my eyes, including the foot, and the external and internal curves have a smooth transition, and the wall thickness just right. No sanding marks, and no dimple or pip in the bottom either! The grain patterning is superb. Elm, like sycamore can often look bland, but I think that's the nicest bowl I've seen in a long time, and I've no doubt it would be a competition winner. Really well done!

David.

Back